Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple Questions

Hey guys whats up... IM basically New to lasers, and i recently built a 405nm violet laser with a PHR-803T diode.... The diode came with a small pcb chip and a thin mylar cable. I didnt remove these.. Shouldve' I? And i was also running it with a 9v battery i only ran it for about 30 seconds at a time...it evantually ...exploded i guess...it kinda burst into a small 2 second flame...no idea why...im guessing over heating.. PLease Help

First off, hello and welcome to the forum!

Second of all I'm assuming you tried to build this laser before coming here to LPF. So here is the grand tour! There are sections called the FAQ, stickies and tutorials, I reccomend you read them.

A laser diode is a fragile electronic component, it requires a constant current value. If you know the basics of electronics, a contant current circuit is needed to provide the laser diode with the correct amount of current, we call these devices Drivers!! You will need a new Laser diode and will also be needing a driver. There are three main drivers, Flexdrive V5, Rkcstr driver and the LM317 driver... use the search button for more info!

As for the laser diode, yes you will need to remove the ribbon cable, PCB board and plastic board from the pins of the diode. You can see a tutorial on how to remove these components using the blob method....use the search button for more info! Putting 9v as you did will blow up any diode! You need to regulate the amount of current drawn, in this case you will be needing around 100ma for a PHR diode.

After you have worked this out, you will then need a "case", the most commonly used "case" is an aixis module.... once again use search button for more info!

If you need any more help, please let me know!! -Adrian

Last edited:
Bobhaha;First off, hello and welcome to the forum!

Second of all I'm assuming you tried to build this laser before coming here to LPF. So here is the grand tour! There are sections called the FAQ, stickies and tutorials, I reccomend you read them.

A laser diode is a fragile electronic component, it requires a constant current value. If you know the basics of electronics, a contant current circuit is needed to provide the laser diode with the correct amount of current, we call these devices Drivers!! You will need a new Laser diode and will also be needing a driver. There are three main drivers, Flexdrive V5, Rkcstr driver and the LM317 driver... use the search button for more info!

As for the laser diode, yes you will need to remove the ribbon cable, PCB board and plastic board from the pins of the diode. You can see a tutorial on how to remove these components using the blob method....use the search button for more info! Putting 9v as you did will blow up any diode! You need to regulate the amount of current drawn, in this case you will be needing around 100ma for a PHR diode.

After you have worked this out, you will then need a "case", the most commonly used "case" is an aixis module.... once again use search button for more info!

If you need any more help, please let me know!! -Adrian
Could not have explained it any better. I second that statement.
Read, read and read some more. I read for at least 300 hours before trying my first build.

Last edited:
Thank you...I did attach a driver....forgot to mention that..it was a preassembled driver i got off of stonetek.org....thank you for your help

Thank you...I did attach a driver....forgot to mention that..it was a preassembled driver i got off of stonetek.org....thank you for your help
Unless you ordered your driver preset,
you have to adjust the current output using a "dummy load" Again, use search button.
(you can build your own dummy load for about $2 in Radioshack parts.)

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here.

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

mat.jpg

search.gif

I want to see pictures of a Flamin PHR :crackup:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Flaminpyro...