Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple Aixiz-ready hosts?

I'm looking for an extremely simple, no-artistic-frills host that would be extremely easy to use to build a laser when ordering (for example) a pre-assembled diode and driver such as can be found on DTR's site.

Something resembling a Laser-301/Lazerer LZCS or the cool-but-simple hosts in ApexProxy's avatar would be basically what I am looking for.

I like how the basic Aixiz focusing knob looks, it's simple and to the point.

It sounds like it might have to be a custom item but what are your thoughts on this?

I agree with The Lightning Stalker The C6 is very easy to work with, I also like the Survival Laser stainless steel host if your willing to spend more money. See the two links in my signature for detailed build threads showing these hosts. One thing though if you use these hosts you will want the pre-assembled diode module without driver from DTR's site and use a round driver or driver and pill assembly from Survival Laser. Otherwise you will complicate matters, to use a pre-assembled diode module with driver like DTR sells you will have to use a drilled out pill and battery contact board like Survival Laser sells because these hosts have very little extra space in them, you even need to be careful how long your wires are. These hosts can be very small and run on two 16340's or with an extension tube much larger and run on two 18650's.

Alan

Yeah the pill that comes with the c6 along with the brass ring makes it easy to use any 16.8-17mm driver. IDK if MOH still has his linear drivers, but you can always check out Lazeerer for drivers.

Another host option, if you are building a high powered build, is the SAIK-305. It is a very robust and bulky-smooth host with a crazy duty cycle. Only difference is that you will not be able to use the driver slot that comes when you order the flashlight. (they do not come in DIY kits)

Also, see if you like the C8 host! and the C11! (you can get pills for those at fasttech)

:beer:
-Matt

Last edited:
Ebay has 12 dollar hosts that have a rear key lock (I know as a future product I want to make might use a similar host) I would check that out

The main issue I have is that I'm extremely uncomfortable working with this type of thing when large amounts of money are involved. (50 dollars is a large amount of money, when it comes to breaking things or making mistakes.) I want to do as little as possible because it's less that I can screw up.

The C6 looks nice, but I don't like the tailcap switch much; I prefer momentary switches on the side. I know I'm being picky, but that is just that. And I'm not so sure about using a different driver than the ones on DTR's page, and I'm certainly not comfortable setting the current myself.

Regarding the ebay host with tail keyswitch, that is a Laser 301 or LZCS type. Those are my favorite host type from the standpoint of looks and ease of use, but they are designed BADLY; Aixiz modules are not compatible without custom parts and working on them hasn't proven worthwhile. It can be done, but it's a huge pain. These hosts have no heatsinking either, you pretty much need to have a custom part made. That 10-dollar host ends up costing 3 or 4 times as much.

I have three green laser 301's with damaged lenses, just replacing the lenses will require custom parts. Stupid, stupid design that should never have made it off the design board.

I could have another member built one for me, but I already tried that and it didn't go well at all. And I would like to just avoid the shipping, planning, etc. hassles. Not worth it to solicit a build imho, so want to do it myself, but terrified of destroying an expensive part and having to just eat that cost.

edit: I'm not looking to build a burner or anything like that. A 160mW single-mode 635nm is what I'm thinking of. So pretty much what I need is a host, heatsink, and diode/driver setup so stupidly simple that even I can do it.

Last edited:
The link I shared is actually made for axis I believe. I can attempt a build no cost (I would assemble one with an empty axis. If it doesn't fit then you lose NOTHING.) If it works then we can discuss further operation. How's that sound?

Last edited:
I'm looking for an extremely simple, no-artistic-frills host that would be extremely easy to use to build a laser when ordering (for example) a pre-assembled diode and driver such as can be found on DTR's site.

Something resembling a Laser-301/Lazerer LZCS or the cool-but-simple hosts in ApexProxy's avatar would be basically what I am looking for.

I like how the basic Aixiz focusing knob looks, it's simple and to the point.

It sounds like it might have to be a custom item but what are your thoughts on this?

OKAY=

The AixiZ (its not Aixiz.. btw) blank module has become the standard at 12mmX 30mm= and some hosts require only the front part, and not the back- its function is to protect the small drivers that will fit inside ad adds nothing to the heat sinking abilities. Many JADD kits are made with use of the AixiZ module. The focus knob does work well(don't forget the provided and needed spring)HOWEVER when you are talking about any laser of high power its too easy to burn fingertips so many opt for a larger 'EZ' focus knob --plus they look nice IMO.

Also FYI Only a very very few diodes we use can handle running w/o the minimum of an AixiZ module (I NEVER power a bare diode) so don't count on the AixiZ blank to give much heat sinking-- and except for VERY brief periods should any diode be powered up until a proper heat sink is used for the AixiZ Module.

AixiZ just added to thier inventory some solderless conectors for 5.6mm diodes-you simply plug the diode in then connect two or three of the wires to you power source(AFTER shortng any caps involved) and of course you need to be 100% sure you are correct on pinout and which of the three wires you connect.
Keep using ESD precautions as its better to sometimes use that when not needed than it is to forget when its manditory. Anyway these new 'sockets' are not expensive and make replacing a dead diode very simple= the Wires are quite long too. These replace the need to solder wires to the diode pins, a time when damage can be done by overheating from your soldering iron.
ALSO to protect pricey diode the new AixiZ wire afaik makes adding a Lasorb to the diode easier-IIRC these need to be attached as close to the diode as possible. Lasorbs are used a lot by pros and well worth the cost when compared to buying a new diode. CNI now uses Lasorbs in most if not all the lab lasers they sell.
AixiZ also sells the Lasorbs for all wavelenghths(these are made by Pangolin Orlando Fl.) There are many companies that sell hosts ready for use with the 12x30 module.. But I always suggest buying a host from a LPF member rather than ebay-

On second thought, I'm warming up to the C6 host the more I look at it, it's quite clean and compact. I've been playing with my Skylasers a lot lately, and they are constant on/off.

@cantthinkofone
My original idea was to adapt an LZCS host (i.e. SD-301, etc) to accept an AixiZ front end (the copper part on DTR's website) but the C6 is appealing to me more... what do you think?

I want my first build to be a diode/driver from DTR's site though, that is the same as the LZCS uses, and I really *do* like the host style. One step at a time I figure, more involved builds can come after.

Last edited:
Well the c6 is nice. With what your putting in it it's basically the same as my hades line of laser. The hades will have more features then a standard build but I can't force you to buy a hades nor build your build. Just some thoughts. But yes a c6 is a nice clean host.