Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Shut up woman get on my horse.

brtaman

LOL This one gave me a good laugh, still playing it.

Amazing Horse - Weebl's Stuff

Warning will brainwash as the video is in a continuous loop and is very hard to turn off.

Hope you enjoy it.

brtaman

oh well, you try to show something you think is new and you are always beat on the internets. :beer:

mods please delete.

Last edited:

f22warzone

I still think its funny to be brought up again as i had forgent about it : )..... just wondering but did you make your avatar thing their?

brtaman

I still think its funny to be brought up again as i had forgent about it : )..... just wondering but did you make your avatar thing their?

The tesla coil? Yep it is a DRSSTC (Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla Coil). Full video is on my youtube page.

Basically what is happening is that I am pulsing A LOT of current (400+amp) through the IGBT's and they end up exploding, that is the boom at the end. :) That was my motive for making it a gif.

f22warzone

how hard would it be to make one of thos.... as i have a plasma ball but the thing that makes the high voltage to create the spark looking effect is going out.... so i guess i need to make a high voltage thing to put back in the plasma ball mabe even a bit more power : )

Flaminpyro

What praytell is a plasmaball if it's not ball lightning ?

how hard would it be to make one of thos.... as i have a plasma ball but the thing that makes the high voltage to create the spark looking effect is going out.... so i guess i need to make a high voltage thing to put back in the plasma ball mabe even a bit more power : )

brtaman

Hey f22warzone, basically if you mean a plasma globe?

They are run from AC Flyback transformers. If you can get your hands on one from ebay or if you have a REALLY old TV you can salvage it, then make a nice driver for it, it is quite easy. A nice driver with a good flyback will kick the stock system around, you could expect much brighter plasma and effects.

Just make sure the flyback is an old-school uncertified one and not one of the newer ones as it is practically impossible to bypass the diodes which are contained within the resin.

DR-SSTC's are on the other hand are quite involved and require at the very least an oscilloscope for diagnostics and set-up.

f22warzone

Hey f22warzone, basically if you mean a plasma globe?

They are run from AC Flyback transformers. If you can get your hands on one from ebay or if you have a REALLY old TV you can salvage it, then make a nice driver for it, it is quite easy. A nice driver with a good flyback will kick the stock system around, you could expect much brighter plasma and effects.

Just make sure the flyback is an old-school uncertified one and not one of the newer ones as it is practically impossible to bypass the diodes which are contained within the resin.

DR-SSTC's are on the other hand are quite involved and require at the very least an oscilloscope for diagnostics and set-up.

Well I don’t have an old TV. but you say I need an ac fly back on e bay will have to look around would be nice if you could help me also : ) but thanks for the information so far and when I took the plasma globe apart there is a box with resin in the bottom so I guess this is a "safe one" now I just need to pick up a unsafe one : )

Thanks for your help so far :)

edit
i think i am looking for this

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TELEVIS...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item519002ff48
or this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Open-Core-Flyba...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efc37f522

or is that not even right?

Last edited:

brtaman

Well I don’t have an old TV. but you say I need an ac fly back on e bay will have to look around would be nice if you could help me also : ) but thanks for the information so far and when I took the plasma globe apart there is a box with resin in the bottom so I guess this is a "safe one" now I just need to pick up a unsafe one : )

Thanks for your help so far :)

edit
i think i am looking for this

VINTAGE TELEVISION FLYBACK HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER - eBay (item 350308466504 end time Feb-21-10 14:11:40 PST)
or this?
Open Core Flyback Transformer with Anode Lead Tesla HV - eBay (item 270519498018 end time Feb-21-10 07:45:06 PST)

or is that not even right?

Hey,

Yeah those look ok, the open style ones are usually AC, if not they are really easy to convert.

I will check out ebay a bit to find other decent ones. I'll send you a PM when I finish my search.

BTW, how big is the enclosure of the plasma globe? These TV flybacks can be pretty big. The small encased box with a thick wire coming out of it was indeed the globes stock flyback. We will have to find a nice and small power-supply for the flyback driver so you can keep running it off mains, but will be a pretty cool project for you imo.

Best Regards,
brtaman