Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I get the 10mW blu ray laser from o-like too???

Okay in the next week I plan to order 2 different lasers from o-like the new style 200mW red laser and the new pocket green 50mW laser but I was also thinking of ordering o-likes 10mW blu ray laser cuz i might be able to afford it. But idk if it's worth spending the extra 25 bucks I have never had a blu Ray before and I know they are not all that bright but I want to have a blue one! Is it worth it? I wonder if it will actually be 10mW. please let me know what you guys think if I decide to get it that will be 3 lasers i will be
ordering at once from o like!

3zuli

if you're getting a bluray, it should be above 100mW. <100mW = less (or NO) burning, NO beam visibility
but if you want it only as a toy, then buy it

So I'm guessing a 50mW green won't burn anything either. What do you need for a green one to burn like 100mW??

Hey brightsaber. I have the 10mW you arelooking at. And i would recoment it. it will be at least 10mW as o-like are usualy on spec. I even asked Susie on MSN.

It will smoke black leather but won't burn much else at that power. and unless there is a lot of smoke or something in the air you wont see a beam. But its a great first Blu-ray. The color is nice. and its great for flourecent items and Glo in the dark stuff. I have a pc panle painted in Glow in the dark paint to draw on at night in bed.

The host has a great feel to it as well. I use mines all the time.. and hardly ever touch my DX green anymore.

I hope this helps.

Si

I bought the o-like 10mW bluray as well, and it must be way overspec. It smokes leather, leaves marks in dark plastic, slightly stings your skin, and comes with the blu-ray driver that is also listed on the site. Not to mention they are pot-moddable. I don't know how long it will last, but mine lights sharpied matches in seconds on fresh eneloops after the pot mod. There's even instructions on which way to turn the pot on O-like's site!

So summary:
out of the "box" (well, postage envelope) it is most likely overspec'd. It is also pot-moddable. I haven't successfully taken mine apart, I was trying to turn the pot with a tiny flathead through the buttonhole. Honestly, I didn't think I even got it to budge, and yet there's a great performance increase. So if you pot-mod it, perhaps don't turn it too much.

Asherz

I bought the o-like 10mW bluray as well, and it must be way overspec. It smokes leather, leaves marks in dark plastic, slightly stings your skin, and comes with the blu-ray driver that is also listed on the site. Not to mention they are pot-moddable. I don't know how long it will last, but mine lights sharpied matches in seconds on fresh eneloops after the pot mod. There's even instructions on which way to turn the pot on O-like's site!

So summary:
out of the "box" (well, postage envelope) it is most likely overspec'd. It is also pot-moddable. I haven't successfully taken mine apart, I was trying to turn the pot with a tiny flathead through the buttonhole. Honestly, I didn't think I even got it to budge, and yet there's a great performance increase. So if you pot-mod it, perhaps don't turn it too much.

Could well be a PHR, turned down and then sold especially if they are giving instructions to get it to a higher power.

I could understand this if they were labelled 5mW to get past customs, but they are labelled 10mW :s

Meh, nice to no there's a few more happy o-like customers :)

The instructions were for the driver. It doesn't state anywhere on the site that they use that driver for their blu-ray pens, but icenoise opened his up and it looks identical, and from what I could see of the IC and component arrangement through the button hole, mine was too :whistle:

Too soon to say about the pot mod burning the diode out. So far, no ill effects. Another member here recommended 1/8 of a turn.

Okay I think I might order the blu ray one as well then. Hopefully mean old customs won't grab my new lasers lol.

Too soon to say about the pot mod burning the diode out. So far, no ill effects. Another member here recommended 1/8 of a turn.

Although BShanahan14rulz have been ajusting the pots on these lasers, I wouldnt reccoment it to any one else. I have no way of measuring the current going to the laser diode. Nor any way to measure the mW of the laser. These are totally experemental. I asked Susie from O-Like about the laser Diode, and she dosen't know the laser diode. It may be a PHR, but might not. It may die tomorrow. We shall see.
But dont hesitate on buying the laser, you wont be dissapointed.

Time for bed.

Si