Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I buy an Arctic Spyder 3?

So my first laser i bought was a really cheap one that broke within a week on me. Now I've been wanting an arctic spyder but its really expensive and I dont want it to be totally not worth it. i know at high power it's too dangerous without eye protection but what if you used the low power setting without protection. is it still too bright? With that in mind i was thinking of just getting the .7 watt version but i dont know if you could see the beam in broad daylight or if it burns well or at all. And is it still too bright without protection? Even in low power mode? Another question i have is Wickedlasers' shipping. How long does it take for delivery? I don't want to put $250 down the toilet so any answers would be ver much appreciated. Thanks :yh:

No. WL puts out some good products every now and then, but the key phrase here is "every now and then." Sometimes you'll get a laser that's up to spec, and other times you'll get a piece of crap. Out of the 3 products that I got from them 2 /12 of them were crap. You can still give them a try if you want and you may get your money's worth, but i'ts safer to buy from members here on the forum who know their stuff and make up to spec products for less than what WL charges. You could get a 1W Arctic from WL for $300, or you could get a 3W blue laser from a member here for the same price.

And it takes around 1 month for WL products to arrive after you place your order, depending on where you live.

Encap

No, you can't see the beam in broad daylight with any of the Arctics--all are powerful enough to cause eye damage.

WL offer the Arctic in 0.7W, 1W and 1.4 W these days----if you like the look buy one---they are over priced however they are very popular, recognized and resellable because of that.

Last edited:
If you like the design and who doesn't lets be honest ,the original light saber look and you don't mind paying quite a lot more that a custom build buy it i have one it puts out power to specification, see signature i had a issue when i got it but i got it second hand and fixed it even though there wasn't supposed to be anything wrong with it there's a whole post on that saga ..... ,its my favorite now ...there have been issues with WL products seems to be a bit of a witch hunt to be honest and the prices have gone up again so that doesn't help ,but bottom line if you can afford it, like the look obviously ,well buy it, there's a big calling for good looking hosts ,and you pay a premium for that

Last edited:
Could also be that WL is better now, no real confirmed reports but if you want the host, go for it. Otherwise there are better options right here on the forum.

Any laser over 5mW requires eye protection, the laser in low power is around 100mW. You WILL NEED eye protection

Could also be that WL is better now, no real confirmed reports but if you want the host, go for it. Otherwise there are better options right here on the forum.

Any laser over 5mW requires eye protection, the laser in low power is around 100mW. You WILL NEED eye protection
Even at 100mw I would need protection from the diffused light?

No, but diffused light is not the problem here, accidental reflection is.

If you are 100% sure you will not get one of those in your eye (don't play around mirrors etc), you should be fine without laser safety goggles.

Yes of course! It can be that maybe you hit a mirror or any other reflective surface by accident, and the reflected beam could hit your eyes and harm them!

Yes of course! It can be that maybe you hit a mirror or any other reflective surface by accident, and the reflected beam could hit your eyes and harm them!

Err, no offense, but I do not think you understand what "diffuse" means.

Look it up in Wiki :)

Err, no offense, but I do not think you understand what "diffuse" means.

Look it up in Wiki :)

I did understand it, but it still don't consider it to be safe handling a 100mw laser without protection. I think I may have written it a bit confusing, the second sentence was just showing another potential risk.