Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I be worried?

So while wating for my eagle pair laser glasses
I got today a blue laser that I ordered and I don't real know its power 1w or 5w
sticker says 5w
so I aimed the laser on the floor while putting the battries and it shined right away I wasn't wearing Any goggles it shined on the floor for less then 1 sec
later I wear the goggles come with it (the cheap 2~5$ ones) and tried to burn some paper with them on and the blue color through the goggles was strong
it did smoke on the paper now I turned off the laser and planning using it when my eagle pair arvives: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm OD6 Slip Over Laser Safety Goggles

thank you!

I have to say not any direct hit

Last edited:

Vision

Re: should I be worried?

Yes. No.

If you can see blue through the goggles then they're as good as looking at the laser without a proper safety goggle. Stop using the laser and wait for your proper goggles to arrive. Or continue using them and damage your eye receptors.

Last edited:

Yes. No.

If you can see blue through the goggles then they're as good as looking at the laser without a proper safety goggle. Stop using the laser and wait for your proper goggles to arrive. Or continue using them and damage your eye receptors.
I will not use it till I get the eagle pair!
but do you think i have done some damage?

Vision

I will not use it till I get the eagle pair!
but do you think i have done some damage?

Highly unlikely for that small time but your receptors might have been washed by the blue color. Which might or might not affect you, most likely not. Just be careful next time.

GSS

not at all but I was very close to the laser dot.
Thanks for the answers!
Flexo, do you have a link to that laser you purchased? You really should get to know your lasers, all of them. Its good common practice to know what their capable of. If you can show a link a or any info i'm sure a member here has will have some input on it. Good judgement on buying those safety glasses:)

Close, how close, what kind and color of surface, what was your duration of exposure.

Chances are you are ok, but if you have any doubts get an eye exam.

Show us the laser, you likely have a 1-2 watt laser with a 5wv sticker what did you pay and where did you buy.

I would expect you are ok, but it is your responsibility to take care of yourself and getting a regular eye exam is a good idea anyway, how ald are you and when was your last?

If you have any concerns get an eye exam, we can't see your retinas from here and you could be leaving something out, so although I bet you are ok to be safe I have to say get an exam.

Last edited:

Close, how close, what kind and color of surface, what was your duration of exposure.

Chances are you are ok, but if you have any doubts get an eye exam.

Show us the laser, you likely have a 1-2 watt laser with a 5wv sticker what did you pay and where did you buy.

I would expect you are ok, but it is your responsibility to take care of yourself and getting a regular eye exam is a good idea anyway, how ald are you and when was your last?

If you have any concerns get an eye exam, we can't see your retinas from here and you could be leaving something out, so although I bet you are ok to be safe I have to say get an exam.

Flexo, do you have a link to that laser you purchased? You really should get to know your lasers, all of them. Its good common practice to know what their capable of. If you can show a link a or any info i'm sure a member here has will have some input on it. Good judgement on buying those safety glasses:)

got no link (deleted) but bought it from aliexpress
Here are the picture of the laser and the goggles used
http://i.imgur.com/z2JU91T.jpg

Edit sticker says 50w? :wtf:

Last edited:
If that takes just one 18650 or two 18350/16340 then I seriously doubt it could ever get anywhere near 5 watts.

Flexo34, don't worry. Despite what these idiots are telling you, you are fine. Your current safety glasses do pass a certain amount of light so the fact that you see some of it means nothing bad.
The "better" pair you have coming in the mail will pass blue as well. What both will not do is protect you from a direct hit. No plastic protection ware is fit for direct hits, only glass is as it doesn't melt. Remember that.

If that takes just one 18650 or two 18350/16340 then I seriously doubt it could ever get anywhere near 5 watts.

your laser may be 1W a 5W will ignite the paper :)
guys I just tested this laser for 3 second stright to see if it can ignite paper I was wearing the bad goggles but I closed my eyes too and the paper was on Fire for less than 3 second of exposure! what a powerful laser.

Vision

guys I just tested this laser for 3 second stright to see if it can ignite paper I was wearing the bad goggles but I closed my eyes too and the paper was on Fire for less than 3 second of exposure! what a powerful laser.

NVM.

Found it. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-most-powerful-FOXlasers-burning-torch-laser-50000mw-445nm-Blue-laser-pointer-5-wfocusable-paper-burning/32544664504.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.43.4nh2ky&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_5_10036_10035_10034_10033_507_10032_10020_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10006_10011_10003_10021_10004_10022_10009_401_10008_10018_10019,searchweb201603_9&btsid=f203a31b-1366-4999-ad7c-e8ca230b7d5b

I seriously doubt you got a 5W for that price, but hey...I got several 150mw greens for $6.

Last edited:

Pman

If it was that expensive I sure wonder what you actually got as it would be very overpriced for a 2W laser. If it caught white paper on fire in a few seconds it may be around 5W. I've never even tried to light white paper so don't actually know how much power it takes.