Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Shorted a 18650 Is it ok?

3Pig

Ok so i have some trustfire flame 18650's, I got them off dx and the reviews say they are legit, I have never even fully discharged one with quite a lot of use.

So in anticipation for a phlatlight build (those things can take 9 amps :O) I took the protection circuit off and being way too clumsy for what i was doing, so the conductor for the negative source for the protection circuit shorted with the positive, resulting in it melting in seconds (at least I know they can provide heaps of current :D)

So the battery didn't vent, it was a little warm and there have been no explosions. The battery still puts out current, I tested by putting it on my tongue because all my multimeters are broken.

It is currently outside in a bottle with holes in it in case it decides to turn into a cylinder of inferno.

Should I be worried? have I lost a 18650? am I making a big deal of this?
Responses are greatly appreciated :)

djQUAN

It may still be useable but if you're considering using a crapfire battery for a high current build, it isn't a good idea anyway.

Get a decent high current AW, Panasonic or other trusted battery for your build. Better than having repurposed old cells blow up in your hand after you finish your build.

3Pig

Your right, don't know why I thought that the trustfire's could take the insane current. I've found some nice Panasonic cells that can take 10 amps continuous from a local vendor. Definitely worth the peace of mind that my lights not going to blow up, also nice to have for future high current builds.