Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Short Video W/ Minerals that Flouresece@405nm

awlego

That's pretty cool! I saw a sweet display of mineral florescence under a blacklight at the Colorado School of Mines when I visited it... it was amazing what some minerals do under that kind of light.

Nice demonstration video Greenmechanic.
Did you catch a bit of the rock and mineral bug;)

daguin

Instead of looking at "craft" type dealers. See if you can find a mineral dealer. Many of the minerals that fluoresce are not very pretty in normal light (black, brown, white, gray). Also, many crystals will fluoresce. Find some apatite crystals.

You could also do some quick research into any local rock and gem clubs. They probably do an annual "show" that will give you a pretty good variety. You may also get invited to see some of their collections. Even rockhounds who don't particularly like fluorescent mineral, will have some.

When looking for fluorescent crystals, make sure you use a low powered bluray. The possibility of specular reflection from a crystal face is very real. Plus, you will get to see the more subtle fluorescent reactions.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
rploalto: Did you catch a bit of the rock and mineral bug

Yupp! I think so. I was telling my wife that if 1 year ago, someone told me I'd be collecting mineral samples, I'd have told them, "you are nuts", why in the world world whoud I be doing that?
Never doubt the power of time to change you!
EDIT: Thanks dave, these are regular mineral dealers. Maybe very stupid ones, not one had ever heard of Pink Calcite flouresence before.
They have tables laid out 50'- 60' long, covered with trays of gems and stones. W/ little labels on the bags. But you start talking about lasers and effects, they all give you is a blank look.

Last edited:

daguin

Yupp! I think so. I was telling my wife that if 1 year ago, someone told me I'd be collecting mineral samples, I'd have told them, "you are nuts", why in the world world whoud I be doing that?
Never doubt the power of time to change you!
EDIT: Thanks dave, these are regular mineral dealers. Maybe very stupid ones, not one had ever heard of Pink Calcite flouresence before.
They have tables laid out 50'- 60' long, covered with trays of gems and stones. W/ little labels on the bags. But you start talking about lasers and effects, they all give you a blank look.

Glow Worms are a breed apart. You can tell who they are in the field. They are the ones with their upper body and head inside a black plastic bag in 100 degree heat

Peace,
dave