Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shimadzu Announces New 10 Watt Blue Diode - 50W & 100W to Follow

Shimadzu Announces New 10 Watt Blue Diode - 50W & 100W to Follow

Quote:
Japan’s Shimadzu Corp has developed a blue direct diode laser (DDL), providing what is claimed to be industry-leading brightness levels. The 10W-type laser is being exhibited at InterOpto 2013 at Pacifico Yokohama, Japan (16-18 October).
Quote:
Shimadzu says that it has achieved a 16-fold increase in brightness over conventional levels for fiber-coupled blue semiconductor lasers, which feature high rates of absorption by metals. This has been achieved by utilizing newly developed optical multiplexing technology in addition to high-durability coating technology and techniques for precision assembly of optical equipment, cultivated to date based on gallium nitride (GaN) semiconductor lasers used in Blu-ray Discs and projectors. Shimadzu has hence developed what is reckoned to be the world’s first blue direct diode laser that features a microscopic spot size and can be applied to microfabrication.

The blue direct diode laser features a fiber-coupling design that enables flexible laser beam delivery with high efficiency, even for kiloWatt-class output. Power consumption is about half that of solid-state green lasers, expanding the possibilities for laser machining instruments and processing instruments equipped with direct diode lasers.

Last edited:

Tmack

Re: Shimadzu Announces New 10 Watt Blue Diode

Wow. When/if these are available pricing will be premium, but I'm sure some won't be able to resist. Looks like the 9mm just got bumped down a rung.

Wonder how small the focal point can get. " microscopic"

Last edited:

So which projector will it be in? :crackup: :beer:

NO4H99

As awesome as this is for us hobbyists, i almost hope that they don't become cheap enough that your average idiot can pick one up, do something incredibly stupid with it, and screw us for good.

That is a terrifying advance in technology.

If theres going to be any diode to get lasers banned, it's probably this one.

sinner

Should be way out of the reach of us hobbyists , unless new pj's incorporate atleast half a dozen of them they're way too far from being able to get here..

That said, I am really impressed by a couple of things esp the optical-multiplexing (cool?) and the energy efficiency as compared to solid states, Very curious to see the actual thing!!

Wow, that's insane....I honestly wouldn't even want a 10 watt diode. I mean, think about it...most of us have some pretty high powered 445's, some reaching upwards of 3 watts...and even that much power is ridiculous. 10 watts? I would honestly be too frightened to use it, under fear of incinerating anything i pointed it at.

companies, stop focusing on 445's dangit :D
Yellow diodes please :whistle:

Oh my god its the Apocalypse. Ricktrent is going to knife edge like 45 of the 100W ones and destroy the planet...

Reactions: ped
Feel the same 100 watt blue, i would be to afraid point it at anything remotely that could catch on fire at all .flash it past a Door and you would burn the paint off in its arc in a second .