Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp looking 3-mode mini (pic heavy)

I have a review thread of a similar build that covers details on the host and driver, but this laser turned out so sharp I wanted to share a more in depth build thread. The other thread is here http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/cree-q5-made-into-3-mode-445nm-78739.html#post1132000

Here is the host I started with, has a nice silver finish. The pill with led just unscrews no breaking required. :yh:
dsc00328w.jpg

The plastic lens pops out nice and easy.
dsc00329c.jpg

The pill taken apart revealing the awesome "IMO" driver. Because I had chipped that driver I used an identical one from another light.
dsc00330x.jpg

Onto the M140! I cut the aluminum back off the module to allow it to fit and to have better heat transfer from the copper modules threads to the heat sink, I'm a bit OCD about it I know.
dsc00326ko.jpg

I like to put arctic alumina epoxy on the backs of my diodes, I just don't like them to be open to air, I feel like they can be kept at a more stable temp this way. Anyways right or wrong of me I've done it to two M140's and a 9mm and they are all still running great.
dsc00327y.jpg

This is the heat sink I pressed the module into, it was a nice press fit and I used arctic silver. (ty - flaminpyro and DTR)
dsc00338z.jpg

Here I have the module partially pressed into the sink and began wiring the driver up. Afterwards I put the sink in with arctic alumina epoxy.
dsc00345ky.jpg

Finished! Triple trit focus ring with my personal touch of GITD applied to the inside.
dsc00379vq.jpg

dsc00380na.jpg

dsc00381uym.jpg

dsc00382fx.jpg

Still puts out a good beam in a well lit night area.
dsc00386v.jpg

Burn test video. It's got a 9mm stock lens and it was focused to a few inches away.

Last edited:

Awesome little laser. I love these hosts for size.

It looks about the same as the one in my sales thread. FP does an amazing job on focus knobs.

Very low power... nice :)

The MOAR power thing gets kind of old, sometimes it's nice to be able to just run a small laser for a long time.

Thanks! I couldn't agree more, I've been having a lot more fun with this lower power laser then my +2W laser. Easy to carry, long run time, not insanely bright but bright enough. Just a nice EDC laser.

Sweet build, I was looking at these hosts myself, they look pretty cool

Thanks, it really is a great host and driver, durable and portable. If we could now just figure out how to adjust the driver currents, it would be the best "small" host ever.