Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Shakenawakes Dreamcatcher

A few weeks ago Shakenawake asked me if I would photograph his "Dreamcatcher" creation that he hand made and painted in day glo colors. It is truly a beautifully piece of art. I had seen when he posted a picture of it in the "Random Pics" thread and really liked the intricate patterns that it had, so when he asked to photograph it for him I told him once I was settled in my new home he could send it to me and I would shoot it. I received the package on a Monday and photographed it over a few nights. The first sequence are pictures of it are photographing it using white light and UV light. The second part I photographed it using various lasers, diffraction gratings, and mirrors and tried to be creative combining the Dreamcatcher and lasers. Some of the shots look pretty nice and abstract. Enjoy

:cryyy:

it's so beautiful. that violet paint shows up strange in some of the shots, but in the blurred reflection in the mirror in #6, it looks more like the color is in person. that picture is my favorite I think

It's not evident in any of these, but four of the colors are also GITD, it will charge up with a defocused 405nm, a blacklight or other UV light, and naturally the sun, but isnt visible for too long in the dark. I was hoping for an attempt at capturing it glowing in the dark, but I guess I didnt mention it. maybe you will see this and squeeze it in if you don't already have it wrapped up. and if it's possible

I hope it was a worthy subject

the best news is I have decided to make and sell them if any are so inclined. the thread should be up soon

:gj:

WAIT, UN****ING believable, I can not rep you again yet

how much do I owe you for the pics, and how much do you owe me for the pleasure?:crackup:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Bruce, that dreamcatcher sure is a beautiful subject for a unique shoot, A+ as always! :beer:

Shakenawake, nice job on the dreamcatcher!

:gj: +rep for both you guys.

Last edited:
Wow! Nice picture. :gj: +rep to both of you (if I can)

Last edited:
Thanks Bowtie and Marcuspeh!

Shaken - The only thing you will owe me for my work on the photos is what I will owe you for the pleasure of photographing it, zero. The always nice feedback I get from on you on most of my posts is all the payment I needed to do this for you. But I will send you the receipts for mailing the box to MA and a DVD of the hi res shots to you. Hopefully in the next day or two I will get everything mailed. Thanks again for asking me to photograph your Dreamcatcher creation.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
When I first looked at this thread yesterday, I read the title "Shakenawakes Dreamcatcher" and assumed the OP was Shakenawake. :yabbem:
I didn't even look to see that it was brucemir's thread; as I looked through the photos, I was thinking, Wow, Shakenawake is taking some pics that are every bit as nice as Bruce's. So much for paying attention.
Anyway, a great artistic effort from both of you!

When I first looked at this thread yesterday, I read the title "Shakenawakes Dreamcatcher" and assumed the OP was Shakenawake. :yabbem:
I didn't even look to see that it was brucemir's thread; as I looked through the photos, I was thinking, Wow, Shakenawake is taking some pics that are every bit as nice as Bruce's. So much for paying attention.
Anyway, a great artistic effort from both of you!

I would have needed to invest quite some time and effort into photography, not to mention equipment, to come close to what Bruce can do. I figured a collaboration was a better option

Bruce, thanks so much. I'd pay you if you wanted, I am going to use them as advertising, though i suspect I will not make much $ making them. in fact I will be working for less than minimum wage. interested to see if they generate any interest here

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/commission-custom-dreamcatcher-94720.html

Last edited:

Arcahn

Beautiful dreamcatcher and beautiful pics! Some of those shots would make some amazing digital wallpapers or posters. Why don't you guys look into not only making the dreamcatchers, but selling the photos as prints, too? Somebody out there would love to hang something like this on their wall or use for a techy desk decoration. Just a thought :D

well, there hasn't been any interest in the dream catchers themselves. I personally do not care if you copy a pic from this thread and use it in any way. Bruce sent me a dvd with even more pics on it, I was going to get around to posting some in my dream catcher sale thread. I do have a few complete ones I could sell, they are not painted though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is no interest yet, it is a laser site after all. I also dont think any will want to buy a painted one. they take too long to paint and I want too much I think. people could always get an unpainted one from me though, which is much cheaper, and paint it themselves

Arcahn

well, there hasn't been any interest in the dream catchers themselves. I personally do not care if you copy a pic from this thread and use it in any way. Bruce sent me a dvd with even more pics on it, I was going to get around to posting some in my dream catcher sale thread. I do have a few complete ones I could sell, they are not painted though. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is no interest yet, it is a laser site after all. I also dont think any will want to buy a painted one. they take too long to paint and I want too much I think. people could always get an unpainted one from me though, which is much cheaper, and paint it themselves
It's difficult forging a hobby into a means of making money no matter which way you go at it. Stick with it! Those things are beautiful and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be interested in purchasing. Amazon actually just launched a new site dedicated to hand made goods that is very similar to Etsy. You may look into that and see what all is involved with becoming a seller on there. That would definitely get you some, ahem, exposure! (I have no regrets about my terrible puns)

Breathtaking work by the both of you. I got goosebumps!!
Love how you captured the reflection of the feathers in the mirrors.
Both of you sure have a ton of talent and patience :)