Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SF-AW210 up and running. . .

I got my diode from the first round of AMK's group buy. I'll say this for it; it's a tough little bugger. This is the first diode I managed to break the window on. Fortunately, I broke it well enough that I could shake out the glass. I did a test run. Still lases. Cool. So I proceed to replace the PHR in my Pocket Mini. I screwed the pill up into the head and hit the switch. Nada. Damn. So I take it back apart, and I see that the pins are all twisted up into a double corkscrew:mad: Dammit, I didn't feel myself slip. I ever-so-gently straightened the pins, and assembled. Voila! Hard violet photons streamed across the basement.

I'm running it hot at 190 mA, and it's putting out a steady quarter Watt (250 mW) after a 405-G-1 lens. Much better than my crap GGW diode (I didn't get to meter that one, but it took it forty seconds to light a sharpied match when focused to infinity. This one does it in two.) I hope it lives long enough to observe the degredation from the missing window.

Am happy:)

It sounds like you had a very productive learning experience. Congrats on the build. I have done that with the diode window once before as well. Sucks when it happens but it does. I am VERY careful with the windows now that it has happened to me as I am sure you will be as well. I decided to glue the pill of my mini to the heatsink to prevent any accidental twisting in which either the top or bottom part twist and the other does not.

When they work, those SFs certainly have a very nice slope efficiency - mine was around 180mA and put out 280mW - and lasted about a month of medium-heavy usage, give or take a few weeks (I don't keep good records).