Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sentorch diodes?

jayrob

Just wondering about the Sentorch being able to run at 200mW with little or no duty cycle and if anybody has any insight on how to get a hold of some of the LDs and circuits that are in these things! Sure would be nice for the DIY projects...
Any info?...
Jay

Gazoo

Not really but I do have my own thoughts. The driver used in the Sentorch is very inefficient. For reference we can refer back to Chimo's thread.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1187307086/0

The AMC7135 is a much better driver even for use with Senkat's diodes. I know you have seen my threads concerning the open can diode and what it took for it to die.. ;D If for any reason the diode in my Sentorch craps out..I would replace it with an open can and replace the driver with an AMC7135. I would also use a single RCR123 battery. This combination will output ~240mw's with a TEC. Without a TEC it would probably drop some but would still maintain over 200mw's unless it got very warm. When you get your LPM-1 and start doing your own measurements, you will see how heat effects the output of the diode.

BTW, my Sentorch is putting out 195mw's and it draws 300ma's. So it seems the diode is in line with the open can somewhat.

jayrob

Good stuff Gazoo...where do you get your open can diodes?
Jay

Gazoo

I harvest them from Pioneer 112D DVD burners which I get from Newegg..

danq

Newegg has a 20x Sony burner, roughly the same price - would that be significantly better?

DanQ

jayrob

Gazoo said:
I harvest them from Pioneer 112D DVD burners which I get from Newegg..

Gazoo, it kind of rings a bell....did you do a thread with pictures on this? I seem to remember reading something like this and didn't take it to heart because I figured it was beyond me...but I may want to look into this now...Please post the link to the thread if I'm on the right track...
Thanks,
Jay

Gazoo

Honestly I don't know. If it uses an open can probably not. I did not notice any difference when I was harvesting open cans from 20X LiteOn drives which leads me to believe all open cans are the same.

The other problem is unless you know someone that has harvested from the Sony drive, you don't know what kind of diode you might get. It could end up being one of those weird ones. Or it could be difficult to harvest like the LiteOn's are.

Gazoo

jayrob said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1196802322/0#3 date=1196808329]I harvest them from Pioneer 112D DVD burners which I get from Newegg..

Gazoo, it kind of rings a bell....did you do a thread with pictures on this? I seem to remember reading something like this and didn't take it to heart because I figured it was beyond me...but I may want to look into this now...Please post the link to the thread if I'm on the right track...
Thanks,
Jay
[/quote]

It wasn't me that started all of this with the open cans.lol. It was VaThink over at CPF's. Maybe that is the thread you are thinking of.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166188

danq

Thanks Gazoo... I had wondered about the removability aspect, but figured I'd be able to handle whatever... good to know to avoid the Liteon's.

I thought maybe the Sony would have a familiar diode ;) and since they also make the PS from which we harvest violet diodes pretty easily... maybe worth a $35 try?

DanQ

Gazoo

The only disappointment would be if the diode was not 5.6mm's and you ended up getting a weird one... but if it is a regular diode then it's one more drive we can add to the list. I would say it's worth a try but don't expect it to be mounted like the violet.

danq

expectations? expecting nothing but a mystery until it's done...
:cool:

jayrob

Gazoo said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1196802322/0#5 date=1196810153][quote author=Gazoo link=1196802322/0#3 date=1196808329]I harvest them from Pioneer 112D DVD burners which I get from Newegg..

Thanks,
Jay
[/quote]

It wasn't me that started all of this with the open cans.lol. It was VaThink over at CPF's. Maybe that is the thread you are thinking of.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166188
[/quote]
Gazoo, please give recommendations: I have the Meredith module and mounting block, I will get the DVD burner and harvest the diode...I want to get a peltier cooler...I see them on E-bay - 40mm x 40mm, 12 volt. What wattage would you recommend? How about batteries to power it? Same batteries for the LD driver? Also, please give me your recommendations for current to the LD. I am planning on using DDL's driver because I already have parts and know how to build it. Do you think this is ok?
Jay

Gazoo

Jay,
For my open can labby I used 2 LM317 circuits...one for the diode and the other one for the peltier. Both were running off the same power supply. You will need at least 6 volts to power this so I would recommend 6 AA cells...preferably Nimh.

For the pots I used the 25 ohm 3 watt rheostats Radios Shack sells. I put that in series with two 3 watt 1 ohm resistors between the adj. and output of the 317. This is for the diode side. The two 1 ohm resistors will limit the max current to the diode to be 600ma's. Of course you can just use a resistor...calculate by taking R = 1.25/I

I did the same for the peltier side but I only used one 1 ohm resistor in series with the pot.

You do not need to run peltiers at the full 12 volts. Mine is currently running off one of the AMC7135's. So it is only taking 350ma's at ~1.7 volts and it keeps the diode a bit cooler than room temp. When I was using the LM317 to power the peltier I never had to take it above 500ma's. But remember my diode was running at 600ma's so it was generating a lot more heat than my new diode is running with 350ma's.

The link to the peltiers I am currently using follows. I like them because they already have a heatsink mounted to them..but they would not be the best for a portable application because they are awkward...for a labby the do work out very nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chip-Chillers-P...goryZ294QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gazoo

And here is a lousy pic of it..lol

Attachments

• peltier4.jpg
    peltier4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 85
Yah i orderd some of those peltiers too they will go to good use, But for some reason on the picture on ebay it looks like thers 4 wires from it is there? When i get them ill do a mini review on them i guess. 5 of them with heatsinks is a good deal for 10 dollors.

....lazer... ;D ;D ;D