Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SELEM is coming who is going

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16589

Its that time of year again.
SELEM is coming around the corner.

for those who don't know SELEM is the South Eastern Laser Enthusiast Meet.
Its hosted by the people of photonlexicon
it will be held in Newton, NC on August 19th - 21st

the event is primarily geared towards people who are interested in laser projectors and laser shows.
•however its still a small percentage of people with pointers
•Please remember that it is pointers that are the reason for the ever growing restrictions on lasers and shows.
therefor some members are less than enthusiastic about them.

•even for me who was not into projectors it was a fun time and i look forward to going back this year.

•There were lots of people there with home built lasers and everyone was willing to share there knowledge.

for more info please check here
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...th-annual-SELEM-in-Newton-NC-August-19th-21st.

More to come when I think of it

Last edited by a moderator:

Although it was a long drive for me, I went last year and had a lot of fun - meet other laserists, see unique hardware, and lots of laser shows to watch. There's also a swap room if you want to buy and sell laser related gear.

Click Image to Enlarge

This event is fairly close to me and would like to go but is this a PL memeber only event?

Trevor

If this weren't the weekend of move-in, I'd be there in a heartbeat. :(

-Trevor

D

Deleted member 16589

This event is fairly close to me and would like to go but is this a PL memeber only event?

no but I joined last year just to sign up for this event.
but you can come as someones guest a guest does not have to pay the fee only the member who brings you.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes and no I joined last year just to sign up for this event.
but you can come as someones guest a guest does not have to pay the fee only the member who brings you.

But I'm sure the the guest would have to show up with the PL member at the same time, right?

I hope to go. It is a long drive from Maine, but if I finish my projector in time I will likely be there.

but they arent really big fans of laser pointers. i wouldnt suggest showing off your collection unless your well versed in laser safety..

Yeah I've read around on LPF that PL isnt particular to pointers and poratble builds but it seems like a show that one would more go just to look. Kind of like a car show when someone doesnt have a hotrod of their own :)

Signing up to be a member at PL is easy- about the same as you did to be here.
Do not list all your pointers/handhelds in your sig.( its a show/projector laser forum & afaik there is no sig anyway) Anyone wanting to REALLY attend need only post your intentions in the thread at PL or PM Buffo(in the meet n greet board) and send in your 50$- this entitles you to sign the waiver- see all the shows- enjoy the Friday dinner(spaghetti-meatballs-salad and garlic bread) and get a great knit monogramed shirt. I drove 17 hrs to be there and never regretted it. The B/S&T swap table has many great deals and if you dont bring your camera you will regret it.
Most stay at the Holiday Inn Express- last year a double was IIRC 80$ per nite or a suite(two rooms&kitchen) sleeps up to 4 at $100 per nite. Rooms fill up fast to once you are sure-do a reservation. There are many threads at PL concerning the event-which is prolly the biggest and best of its kind. Wives and GFs generally do not pay the $50 but this event is put on at great expense and a lot of hard work. If you have any questions after you join PL, just PM 'Buffo' (Adam) is the MAN with the plan and has all the answers.

There is always help needed with all this from building the scaffolding to putting out the feast and much more. Minors need parental premission to attend. Any questions about this aspect needs to be addressed in advance with Buffo.

Anyone coming from Pa. please contact me.

If you want to see what you missed in previous years there are a tons of LEM Vids on YouTube and at PL as SELEM afterefx in the meet n greet board.

Look at the OP for SELEM 2010 to see who attended last year, most willl be there again.

hope to see some of you there

hak

Last edited:
Glad to have you on at PL. :D

Adam has invited Dr Sam Goldwasser( our guru from Sam's Laser FAQ etc) in past years but he was never able to accept. I am hoping we can get him there this year.

He would be coming from Pa. AFAIK, and, I think we would have a better chance of having him if we could somehow arrange a ride both ways for Dr Sam. :anyone:

Adam has said that Sam can make it he will, of course, be a VIP guest and I have offered Sam a place to stay at the HIE.
To me there is no other person in the laser field who I would want to meet more than Sam G. :bowdown::worthy:

Google his name if you do not know who he is. :whistle:

SELEM is the cake- Sam would be the icing on the cake.

Anyone that can help with this will have my thanks.