Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second try @ PS3 XY

I have got a bit further with the idea of using 2 PS3 lens drive units as an XY projector. The first attempt had all sorts of issues with the coils bouncing on the end stops.... I seem to have sorted that now.

The first 30 seconds or so show the best output, after that it gets a bit random. The image is very small at present, around 8" across at 12ft, so I am looking at puting a lens in front of it to expand it out.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• second_try_NEW.wmv
    17 MB · Views: 29

I think it looks like you're on the right track ROG8811. Once you get your size bugs worked out, I think it would look awesome if you added at LEAST 1 more color laser (BR or GREEN) or all 3 if you can manage it. But I think you are definitely on the right path were you're headed now. Looks pretty cool ;)phoenix77/rob :cool:

It will be R/G/BR when it is done ;) Just waiting for a green module from DX.
I should be able to expand it with a projector lens but it will make the whole projector bigger....I was going for super small :(

Regards rog8811

diachi

Thats really cool, it would be amazing with 50mW of green and some smoke though.

Looking forward to seeing the R/G/BR.

Good little project you got there.

Diachi

Amazing, extremely creative! :D

But hey, it ain't fair, I'm also gonna make a RGV-projector (Although spirograph). :mad: ::)

Nah it's cool, good luck m8! [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Thanks guys, I have spent a couple of hours playing with this now....
It has a couple of problems that I may not be able to get around, one is that is has nearly no reaction to high frequences and the other is that if it starts to bounce it takes a time to settle again....
I will keep at it for a bit longer to see if I can sort something out, I will let you know the results :)

Regards rog8811

high frequencies require less amplitude for the same apparent intensity if I remember correctly.

rog8811 said:
I am looking at puting a lens in front of it to expand it out.

Bear in mind that will expand the dot as well as the scan angle.

Bear in mind that will expand the dot as well as the scan angle

Yes indeed it does, so it is not the answer. I think I may be proving to myself that this is not going to work well enough to be of any use. I will do a more distant projection when it is dark tonight just to see how it looks, but this was meant to be a small unit for a small room.......I have another idea to try though ;)

Regards rog8811

Do you have a pair of signal generators? I belive that you could have complete control of the patterns in that way, and try some differend wave-types and stuff.

And it would look very cool too. ;)

Do you have a pair of signal generators? I belive that you could have complete control of the patterns in that way, and try some differend wave-types and stuff.
Sadly no....I have some 555 chips though....It may be worth knocking up a 2 channel signal generator just for this kind of experimentation, thanks for the idea :)
There is a file I downloaded at work which produces graphics on a scope, I may try
that out as well.

Regards rog8811