Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second Build 1.6W Osram 445nm Laser

I just completed my Osram 445nm Laser. It is in a heat sink with a fan and should last a while. The stand, heat sink and fan cost 7$, the diode itself cost 30$, the housing cost 1.5$ and lens cost 6$ (Probably got ripped off).

Anyway here are some photos:
Power source:

W833e0Ul.jpg

xfKo8ztl.jpg

Pictures of laser itself:
TKOc8exl.jpg

BghXDzhl.jpg

dKyWUdkl.jpg

Turned on: (Note the colours are not edited, I don't know why they look so vibrant. In reality it is more of a fainter blue.)
jSz2wyql.jpg

YXpiQCil.jpg

xiqeWIWl.jpg

7GQ3ccyl.jpg

Don't forget safety:
7YGL1Bml.jpg

PqsxFpMl.jpg

Not bad for a 13 year old's second build right? :)

I would like to end by asking a few questions directed at people with more experience than me:
I did not bother with a test load for this one because if it dies I still have another backup diode. However I don't want it to have a short lifespan either. The diver I used was for 1.4-2W blue lasers so I turned the potentiometer up about half way. Is this ok?

Second, the entire casing gets warm(not hot) after a minute or two even with the fan blowing, is this normal and will it harm the diode?
Third, the laser seems to decrease in brightness just a little every now and then and sometimes flickers (not completely off, just from bright to slightly dimmer back to bright) I was wondering if this is normal or if it is overheating, being overdriven or possibly both.

Lastly, how do I get the laser to be focused to infinity? I have no problem focusing it to a desired distance but cannot find how to focus it to infinity.
Something that is interesting was that when I first tested it I did not put it into the heat stink and it lased for 10 seconds and then went LED. I touched the casing and got a blister. I was so sad that I had ruined a 1.6W laser then when it cooled down is started lasing again. :D Does this happen normally or is it a feature of the Osram diode?

Thank you for taking the time to read my entry. :thanks:

Last edited: