Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scratch Built 8x Bluray

Morgan

Hi All,

Thought you might like to see my latest build. A Scratch Built 8x Bluray!

The diode came from a BDR-203 sled supplied by Scopeguy20, (Thanks Glenn, it turned out to be a pearler!); driver is a Microboost from Dr.Lava; 11mm clicky switch is from Odicforce.com; module is from Aixiz; lens assemebly is a 405-G-1 from Jayrob; Silicon wire from FlaminPyro, (Get yourself some of this!); GITD button is from I don't know where!

The host and the rest of the parts were all made and assembled myself.

The driver was set to 365mA and the diode outputs a whopping 483mW after lens! :eek: It also is the most easily visible BR I have seen so must be of longer wavelength. Much more blue than I expected.

I hope you enjoy... !

The clicky switch and pill

208k3s7.jpg

The tail cap and it's parts...

24yv5uc.jpg

... all installed

vii7fp.jpg

... from the other end!

a0dreo.jpg

The main body and focus ring...

x5xftv.jpg

... from the other end!

358aro2.jpg

All the host parts together. I used plastic for the focus ring because it wasn't going to affect heatsinking much and I noticed it fluoresced a lovely blue colour so thought I'd make it a feature.

9a5u7o.jpg

The important bits! The driver cup was fairly difficult to machine so thinly but it turned out pretty well and works like a charm. The brass ring is the contact that makes it case positive. I chose this configuration so the spring could be attached and the negative contact made on the driver cup. Soldering a spring to the clicky switch was also deemed too problematic. The wire I used was sourced from FlaminPyro and is seriously the nicest wire I've ever worked with. It's narrow, really flexible and nigh-on burn proof from a soldering iron! If you like working small, this stuff is a godsend. None of the parts are permanently fixed inside the host so removal of all the electronics, module, driver cup, etc is just a matter of a gentle shake. This should make for easy repair, or upgrade. Tolerances were kept as close as possible to maintain good electrical continuity.

fkqvqc.jpg

Assembly pic. As I have no way to cut threads at the moment, I could afford to make the host walls very thin. Therefore I chose to use three tiny grub screws, to attach the tail cap, that were hand filed to match the thickness of the host's skin. They are M2 threads and all were drilled and cut by hand. The diode assembly is fitted in one piece from the back and the brass ring and driver cup sit on a flange turned on the inside of the host. The module is fixed with another M2 grub screw.

34hdjdj.jpg

Fully assembled!

pb1nl.jpg

Switched on! The focus ring really glows quite brightly but this is a very short exposure. It shows the fluorescent colour quite well though and you can see the violet coming through in the centre too. I cut the aperture a tiny bit small so the plastic would just catch the edge of the beam but not noticeably interfere.

262pirs.jpg

All in all I am really pleased with the way this has turned out. Although the outside diameter is just under 20mm, duty cycles are not overly shortened and the optical output is just stunning considering the current. Battery life is never going to be huge in a build like this but that's fine. I just have to be careful not to wear the grub screws too much changing the battery! ;)

I have yet to take some power output photos but will add these in due coarse and give a bit of information as to how this host stands for heating over time.

Your comments and questions are of course welcome and I hope you have enjoyed the pics.

Thanks for reading!

M
:)

Last edited:

Very cool little build, nice job!

It also is the most easily visible BR I have seen so must be of shorter wavelength. Much more blue than I expected.

I think you might mean longer wavelength though.

Morgan

Very cool little build, nice job!

I think you might mean longer wavelength though.

You are completely correct! I always get hung up on that. The higher the number, the longer the wavelength, of course! I will fix it. [EDIT: Fixed]. Thanks.

... And thanks!

M

Last edited:
Wow, that is literally from "scratch" haha. It looks great though! My 8x is really efficienct too. 450mw+ @ 336ma! I don't believe mine is a longer wavelength though. That sounds very cool! Anyways nice build, and I like the detailed write up. +reps.

That is a really impressive build, congratulations! I still haven't put my 8x (or indeed 445nm diode) to use yet, I really should do.

You should polish and anodize it... probably only cost you ~$15 if you found the right guy.

Morgan

Wow, that is literally from "scratch" haha. It looks great though! My 8x is really efficienct too. 450mw+ @ 336ma! I don't believe mine is a longer wavelength though. That sounds very cool! Anyways nice build, and I like the detailed write up. +reps.

Hey, that's really good to know. With the luck I've been having with efficient diodes lately I've been stating to wonder if my equipment needs calibrating! 500mA in, 500mW out for one 445, and 900mA in over 900mW out, for a member build, (I saw 943mW but with tolerances this could be lower), and now this one!

It does somewhat make up for the ones that have been more than disappointing in the past though! I think mW for mW I'm probably up by now!

Anodising? I hadn't thought of that. Kind of liked the prototype look but I'll consider that. Thanks.

Mr. Bruce - Tut-tut. shame on you for allowing your 8x and 445 to languish! Get building I tells ya! You must have finished your exams by now so you've got no excuses. I expect a completed build thread from you soon please. ;) Your 8x may be just as efficient and blue if it's the same batch :rolleyes: .

Thanks all for the kind words. I have a couple of other projects in the making so look out for those too.

M

Great little scratch build you've made there Morgan, nice one!

Morgan

Thanks for the link, I'll bear it in mind. The fact it's kind of a prototype makes me baulk but I'll see if it will satisfy my aesthetic. I also don't have the correct sticky foil.

M

I see it now I got confused with a 445nm build. It's a 8x build. I got confused with another post.

Point. It needs a hazard symbol identifying it's power output.

This is a Class IV sticker as the output is around 500mW. Peak probably is over what would be needed to class it as a Class IV. Air on the side of caution.

Attachments

• dangerblu-ray8x.pdf
    374.9 KB · Views: 201
Very nice build real clean look I like your use of a nylon insulator for the battery positive +1 for you mate !
And that wire it looks like the silicone stuf Flaminpyro sells :D

Morgan

This is a Class IV sticker as the output is around 500mW. Peak probably is over what would be needed to class it as a Class IV. Air on the side of caution.

Thanks for the amendment Seoul. I will look into it!

Very nice build real clean look I like your use of a nylon insulator for the battery positive +1 for you mate !
And that wire it looks like the silicone stuf Flaminpyro sells :D

Damn, you spotted the wire! Yes, I should point this out. It's really great stuff to work with. I will go and fix it right now Jeff!

M

[EDIT: Ticker tape parade!!!! Yay! 1,000 Posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Last edited: