Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sci Fi Lasers 7 Watt 445nm Arcane 2.0

Review time! :yh: So here's my review of the 445nm, 7 Watt, Arcane 2.0 by Sci Fi Lasers.

10950-showcasing-shiny-host.jpg

Arrival and assembly

After some deliberation I decided something more powerful with more class was required in my collection. So I looked into this laser, the Arcane 2.0 is the refined, improved version of the original Arcane, and is an attractive host. I was left to salivate over pictures for 2 weeks before it got to me, packaged securely as per usual with Sci Fi Lasers.

The host is supplied in 3 separate pieces which simply screw together. The copper heat sink on mine was loose on arrival, the threads simply tighten back up with a gentle twist, and if needed it can be held into place by a hex headed screw which is there for adjustment/further disassembly. The quality of the heat sink was immediately apparent. It has heft to it, and looks well machined. The threads are on my laser, all in all, of a good quality.

10913-how-arrived-wrapped.jpg

My only criticism regarding the threads and other parts which were machined, is that they arrived a bit grubby, and I'm really trying to find fault here. Being a bit of a pedant I grabbed a brush and cleaned them thoroughly prior to assembly.

10951-host-switch-heat-sink-focus-ring.jpg

10910-cleaning-threads-golf-club-tool.jpg

The focus adapter/ring is nicely machined and the lens sits inside it, adjustment of focus is made by twisting the ring, so that the lens either sits higher or lower in relation to the diode.

10893-arcane-2-0-focus-ring.jpg

It's effective, more obviously up close though as this laser has a massive divergence due to it being a powerful multi-mode (unmeasured divergence as of yet I apologise).

One thing to note is that the focus ring and heat-sink are counter threaded, so that should you tighten the focus ring up all the way, it will undo the heat sink. This is solved by tightening the heat-sink and being gentle with the focus ring. Another note, is that on my laser, originally I couldn't make the focus ring sit flush with the body, this was solved by popping the heat-sink in slightly further, Eitan told me what to do, and it literally took me about 1 minute. Again excellent customer service.

Beefy copper heat-sink

10892-arcane-2-0-sci-fi-lasers-7-watt-445nm.jpg

Gap when focused

10909-gap-when-focusing.jpg

Fit between parts isn't 100% seamless at first, but remember this is a small company, dealing with a lot of customers, not a factory driven multi-national operation. The fit and finish is far from lacking. Overall the host fits together nicely, and feels solid. There's a noticeable weight with it in your hand compared to a lot of other lasers. I'm very happy with the overall quality, and the nickel plating is superb. I have enjoyed using the laser to date, with no issues to report after my first couple of months :beer:

Operation

The two 16430 batteries are inserted negative to tailcap. Then the tailcap is screwed into place firmly, it's threads are spot on. There is no movement inside the battery compartment, it's all snug and correct.

Tailcap

10912-tailcap.jpg

There is a simple on off switch located on the top of the unit, it's a clicky button affair and is rubberised. Soft to the touch, and boasts plenty of grip. It works as should, a no thrills switch... however... it's when you press the switch that the fun begins.

Performance

The beam does end up wide at long range, that's due to the nature of the diode and it's output. Eitan assured me it was normal, his communication as always, spot on. Luckily, up close you can get it to collimate really reasonably. It lights almost anything you point it at, I've even started to burn images onto wood for entertainment, I sketch them first, then go over them with the laser. The result is amusing. Obviously extreme caution is advised when enjoying this laser. I put my glasses on before I insert the batteries with my lasers as a matter of practice, and observe with diligence where the laser is pointing at all times.

10896-almighty-sci-fi-lasers-arcane-2-0-7-watt-445nm-divergence-massive-you-can-see-after-s-bounced-illuminates-cloud-bank-distance-beam-divergence-can-seen-diagonal-line-sky-painting-cloud-few-miles-away-awesome-power-brightness-untamed-power.jpg

Here's an LPM reading, not sure what it peaks at, but here's the laser running.

10914-arcane-lpm.jpg

I've been told 2 minutes on and a minute off will be sufficient, though I've been running a duty cycle of 30s on and 45s to a minute off to be safe. Some heat builds after a minute of being on, nothing abnormal, but I like to play it safe.

Here it is zapping it's way out of a church tower deep in a forest, the area around the church glows blue :evil:

10901-7w-445nm.jpg

I've no idea as to the maximum visible range but it seems to paint a huge blue splash zone at a mile away, and a friend of mine assures me he can see the beam at over a mile in the night sky. It always gives me a strange adrenaline surge when I use this laser, and demonstrating it in front of friends always results in comments and exclamations. The beam is seemingly endless, a clear vibrant blue, rectangular at longer ranges, and thankfully is totally straight upon exiting the host. If you get angry at poor divergence then this laser isn't one for you, personally I love the beam's shape, so it doesn't bother me. Overall I find it very satisfying to use.

Summing up

Overall it's a cracking laser with a huge output. The host is very satisfying from an aesthetic perspective, and it's a crowd pleaser. I've no regret in buying it, and I'd recommend it 100% to anyone interested :beer:

10949-host-case.jpg

Sci Fi Lasers made this beast very well, and in my mind it's an enjoyable addition to anyone's collection. Thank you for reading this review, hoping to post again soon!
:thanks:

Yeesh, may actually be 100mW or so more powerful than mine then?! :D You'll enjoy it, they are really bright as blues go.

Gabe

Great review, thanks! One helluva laser. How noticeable is the divergence when pointing into the sky? Wonder how a beam expander would look on that thing.

I talked to Eitan about a beam expander, he's in two minds about them. Due to how the lens attaches. So who knows, I think it would be awesome, just have to persuade him to make one some time. I'm burning a hole in my wallet with lasers (no pun intended) so it'll be for the future. When pointed into the sky if it's focused tightly it doesn't really show as a rectangle, it's just immensely intense. The rectangle is only truly noticeable when pointed at objects :D thank you Gabe :wave:

Gabe

Great, I think a beam expander would look great on that. How much does it appear to 'flashlight' into the sky? Is it pree noticeable?

DTR

Great looking unit.:beer:

Gap when focused

10909-gap-when-focusing.jpg

Fit between parts isn't 100% seamless at first, but remember this is a small company, dealing with a lot of customers, not a factory driven multi-national operation. The fit and finish is far from lacking. Overall the host fits together nicely, and feels solid. There's a noticeable weight with it in your hand compared to a lot of other lasers. I'm very happy with the overall quality, and the nickel plating is superb. I have enjoyed using the laser to date, with no issues to report after my first couple of months :beer:

You should be able to get the gap perfect if you set the module back in the heatsink a few mm's.:)

Yes to my knowledge it's a nub44 :) trussmonkey should be able to confirm that?

DTR it is a perfect fit now. That gap is when it's focused out for use into the sky. When it's done all the way up there's no gap, but that creates a large fan, you twist the ring it back in when it's not in use :) you don't really notice when it's in your hand. When you allow it to be unfocused it's like a giant fan of blue, it sweeps over low clouds and lights them up a bit. Lovely to watch.