Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scanner vs Spiro and RGB questions

I have been trying to decide whether i should build a Spirograph (which is cheaper) or a Scanner (which has more functionality). I am also trying to find affordable dichros for my RGB system.

These by no means are going to be professional grade systems. It's going to be my first try at building one of these systems for practice before i upgrade quality.

The design i was going to use for my Spiro was 3 computer fans with mirrors glued to it in a semi circle, problem being i cant seem to find any light weight mirrors that are small enough. I was going to add resisters for speed variation on the fans.

I have tried a few different DIY scanner projects, none of which were very successful. I have tried taking a speaker and mounting a small peg onto the dust cap and using that to move a mirror (it works but its about a 5-10 degree arc and is very loud) I have also tried creating a XY axis scanner using high speed small DC Motors with mirrors attached in the same method galvos use. This was a complete failure. The mirrors used were too heavy and maybe 80% reflectivity. (not to mention self cut out of a larger mirror) and when spinning (all 360 degrees) it seems like between the two mirrors one is on the non-reflective side so nothing is even projected.

Anyone have any other ideas that wont break the bank and will give fun effects?

So if anyone has any sources for galvos and dichros that aren't terribly expensive and preferably don't have a 40-50$ shipping charge like everything from Chinese stores and any sources for light weight mirrors?

Any advice on where to start with this matter would be great. I have been playing with optics and lasers for a long time now and i think its just time to step up my "toys"

okay i have something cool to show you when i get back to my house i used 2 motors from a cd drive and made a cool motor driven system it works very well and make cool patterns with a frequency generator.
But another cheap option is to take a stepper motor and energize one of the 2 coils with a small current and use the other coil to move it back and fourth. alot of china heap scanners used this back in they day.
the Hdd route is less than good imo. on monday i will update with some of my pics.

3zuli

if you want to combine red, green and blue/bluray laser you can use the PBS and dichro from PHR sled. or you can buy the White Fusion kit (search on forum)

Cheech

I get small circle mirrors from the local crafts store for around 1 dollar,ten come in a pack(Joann's)

I have seen the white fusion kit and i was planning on using it for when I build my "non practice" one. I have a Joann's near me as well and last time i went there to look all i found was oval shaped doll house mirrors. Ill check again.

A keystone shaped Thin EZ to cut FS mirror is inside all Poliroid One-step cameras-pretty much free from thrift shops(no film available) an also a nice DC motor. PC fans are harder to control speed and NOT reversable-both things you will want in a spiro.
As Kiyo says lots of cool EFX can be gotten from steppers, also free found inside flat bed scanners and some printers too.

BTW why do you think your mirrors MUST be round??

If centered properly(I use JB Weld) square ones work fine for me. I mount the mirrors on a plastic gear then enlarge the center hole just big enough to compresson fit on the motors- a little glue will keep them from coming off.

Also by JBWelding a flimsy spring to the center of a speaker and then gluing your mirror to the end of the spring will give you plenty of movement without having to crank up the volume- two speakers mounted close together at 90 degrees allows you to bounce your laser from one mirror to another giving another EFX.

good luck

hak

Thanks for the response. I wanted circular because it would cover the entirety of the fan blades without having the gaps caused by using a square mirror. I got some fans at a surplus store and they are relatively easy to control the speed on (Using a resistor) and are actually reversible. Im not sure on the max RPM on them and im pretty sure they are very old but unused. Ill look into the flat bed scanner stuff seeing as i think i have an old scanner in storage right now. I never had thought of using a spring on the speaker. I need to find a small mirror thats thinner than my current ones for that idea. (My current mirrors are almost 1/4" thick)

the polaroid mirrors are VERY thin---- I cut mine to about 1 inch square-never needed anything bigger
I use PC fans for liq. sky and tunnel
I remove the PC fan blades and shut off all A/C and ceiling fans to get the max whispy efx from my fog machine.
also flat bed scanners have 3 thick long FS mirrors inside.

stepper motor drivers are not cheap(25$kit)- but you can make your own-- same w/ dc motor controllers(15$kit)..I use DPDT switches.

Attachments

• fs bouncers.jpg
    fs bouncers.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 266
  • fs bouncers 010.jpg
    fs bouncers 010.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 236
  • fs bouncers 011.jpg
    fs bouncers 011.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 682
  • fs bouncers 012.jpg
    fs bouncers 012.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
I definitely have a few things i will be exploring over the next few days. Thanks for the help everyone!

Nice photos Andy thnx for sharing

btw your name came up at the safety seminar at SELEM last week-

expect some requests for your warning labels--when some one asked about where to get them three of us said your username at the same time!

Len