Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scanner for DJing. Graduation parties, weddings etc...

Well the title basically says it all.....
Been here for a little while now. Learned a lot, built a few pointers.....
but never got into projectors/scanners too much.

My brother runs his own little DJ Service. Hes got more audio equipment than any other party DJ that I have seen around this part of Michigan. (He also runs a recording service)

For the past couple years hes been using only his audio equipment to DJ graduation parties. He just recently started buying a bunch of cool DJ lights and stuff so he can start doing weddings, dances and bigger events.

Naturally, I got all excited telling him that he really needs a laser scanner.

Our local Audio/Lighting store has a good amount of lights. But their Laser selection is small and weak. (All around 30-40mw max)

-------------

I have learned quite a bit about lasers, but not too much about scanners.
So here lies the questions to all you scanner pros.....

What would be the best total power output for DJing Graduation parties and Weddings ?? (I don't want too much power, but I don't want a crappy 30mW scanner)

Should I try and build my own, or just buy a new one ? Recommend any ?

Ive seen some 5W+ scanners on videos just scanning the crowd. I am assuming the beams are diverged enough so that it won't cause any eye damage..... This is also needed. Even if we got a 500mW scanner, I would want it to be safe if it hit somebody.

It doesn't have to be huge. But I am not sure what power output would be best. Just a decent size spread would be nice. If we get one, we will probably also use a Scrim. It gives a cool effect, and seems to also diverge the beams a little bit more. And can stop people from getting to close.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,

i don't think 5 watts is ever ok for scanning at a wedding. that is a lot of power. Scanning is really dangerous espectially for somebody that has never even operated a scanner before.

How are your technical skills? i'm in the middle of a scanner build right now i have all my parts and i am at about 1000 bucks. and that is me going the cheap route. well not the cheapest, i am going rgb. but every thing is diy... brackets, dac, heat sinks etc.

michael.

Yea, i was thinking that 500-800mW would easily be enough for this. What do you think??
We dont have a ton of money but hes got a lot of gigs planned for the summer, so anyhing under $1, 000 for the 500-800mW range would be good. Id prefer RGB but if the costs is too high, two colors would still be really cool with his other lighting.

Also would want it to be able to hook up to PC software. He uses DMX (i think thats right) for his other ligthing. But anything would work.

I may not have the best technical skills. But i love to tinker. Ive built computers, taken apart and painted or fixed phones, gaming systems. All kinds of stuff like that, as well as building a few laser pointers. Its something id have to learn, but even if we had to buy one, thats ok.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
i posted this on my phone, so please forgive any grammer mistakes.

i think you best bet would be to buy a chinese one. then you could upgrade parts slowly and inexpensively.

michael.

That would be fine with me

How much do you think I could get a 500-800mW RGB?

Ive been trying to find some decent/cheap ones. But im cautious. I don't like ordering anything that has to do with lasers, from unknown sources (for obvious reasons.... false advertisement etc) Do you know of any websites or companies that would sell decent/cheaper ones?

It doesn't have to be top of the line or anything. Its just gonna be used a little bit for the DJing. Nothing to huge. Im sure we could setting for just two colors.... if we had to, in order to keep the cost down. (RG, RB, GB)

LSRFAQ

Just remember doing laser shows for hire requires a CDRH variance and a approved projector. People are starting to get caught from Youtube videos.

Steve

Just remember doing laser shows for hire requires a CDRH variance and a approved projector. People are starting to get caught from Youtube videos.

Steve

O, ok. I did not know that....

Its not really gonna be for just a Laser Show. Its gonna be more for a little add-on to his other DJ lighting. We don't plan on doing too much with it, just pointing it a little upwards (so it doesn't hit people) and letting it go with the other lights on some songs....

And those cheap scanners on ebay will definitely not have variance. For a legitimate DJ, a varianced projector is a must.
You need a variance no matter how much you use it. It does not matter that the laser is not the main attraction, or that it is pointed upwards. You need a variance to do public shows.

Last edited:
And those cheap scanners on ebay will definitely not have variance. For a legitimate DJ, a varianced projector is a must.
You need a variance no matter how much you use it. It does not matter that the laser is not the main attraction, or that it is pointed upwards. You need a variance to do public shows.

Oh, ok. Thanks a lot.

Ill keep looking then.
Like I said, im new to scanners, its something I have always wanted just for myself, and now that my brother wants one for his DJ'ing. I have finally started to research it.

Any good companies to look out for? I find it hard to search these things, without finding tons of random/no branded ones.

Last edited:
I don't know of any companies. I don't buy scanners. I only build them. Let us know what you end up buying when / if you do.

RGB Lasersystems, Kvant, Actros, NEO Lasers, CT Lasers <- All can provide varienced laser products.
NOT laserworld or Ebay!!

For the cheapest US based varienced projectors I would go to X-Laser.

I have read that KVANT systems are not actually legal in the US without modification. Although they are definitely not cheap.

Last edited:
Thats true that they arent legal "stock"....but I heard of a instance where they made a projector compliant for sale in US for a customer....and now they are making that standard practice.(just not yet)

Last edited:
Well for the much higher cost of these known varianced projectors, We most likely will not be able to afford anything close to 1W. Since ill still have to get a controller and software too.

I really like this one
X-Laser : CALIENTE.
Which I could get for just under $500....

my question is, is it too weak?
50mW of 532nm and 100mW of 650nm.

From my experience with pointers.... 50mW of green can be plenty bright in some fog.
But spread that beam out into some shapes/lines and throw in some bright DJ lights on top of that, and will it still be visible ?

It really isn't that big of a deal, because we can turn the other Lights off on some songs, or parts of songs, so that the Laser will be more visible.

Also, we don't really wan't to do any crowd scanning. But we really like the Scrim effect. Even if the laser doesn't do animation.... its a cool effect when the leaser hits scrim and leaves lines and circles floating in mid air. Do you see any problems using this projector with a Scrim ?

Seriously, thanks for helping me guys....
This is why I come here. I didn't even know there was such a thing as Varianced projectors.... But I knew LPF would lead me in the right direction.

Last edited:
i told lasershowlily to pm you. did she??? he site looks right up your alley

michael.