Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

sAik XM-L2-U2

Another idle tinker thought
A sAik with a XM-L2-U2 Cree stuffed into it:eg:

Lets face it, the sAik that we use for a host here sucks for a light, no bones about it. I think it uses a Q4 emitter I don't know about you but to me it looks more like Q2 I'm no expert, but I'm dabbling into flash now so look out.

Anyhow I stuffed a 12mm XM- L2 Cree in it and Hey! Hey!:crackup: that little sucker woke right up. Only produces moderate heat compared to the stock which really got warm when you went into some lengthy duty cycles. The efficiency of that Cree is amazing with a draw of 2.23A at the tailcap the light had to be 3x what it was before. I have no equipment to measure luminas so with the research for numbers prolly a solid 600 lumens is a safe bet on what we are looking at.

One thing for sure is the lens and the reflector is pure crap:na::yabbem:, but I had alot of fun, it passed the time and man gave me my best light... for a very short term:eg:, that's right folks look for some builds comming down the pike from ol' jander:shhh:

So here is some pics, like I said this was nothing I'm bragging about in terms of workmanship it was some kinda quick fun:beer:.

Here is the small heatsink I turned down. I pulled the stock star out and kinda put a step into the sink so the emitter can sit lower into the middle all held in there with Arctic ceramic.
IMAG0182_zps0384dfdd.jpg

I've read over some searches of late (google) and I haven't seen anyone put this emitter into our beloved sAik.
IMAG0179_zps05014419.jpg

Some outside shots, rainy and my streetlight was buggin me out:yabbmad:.
IMAG0188_zps805b5862.jpg

About 30 feet away and 30' up
IMAG0185_zpsafbab3a9.jpg

IMAG0183_zps8bf8ada9.jpg

Shots were made with a EVO 4G OG. Thank You for looking.-jander6442​

Great little build! Might have to try that myself. I just did a L2P with a XM-L U3 at a little more then 2.8A and it screams also have 2 more host waiting on XM-L2 T6's and drivers.

What driver did you use?

I used the stock driver. Heck I figure that if any light is pushing an old Q4 at any sort of "bright" than a far more efficient emitter will do wonders as long as it is not overdriving it which at up to 3A for the XM-L2 is not going to hapeen here. One thing I might mention is I'm using a KD 32600 batt.

Any more power than this I would have to get a different reflector and replace that crap lens.

Hey nice work! Great to see another one dabbling in flashlights! ;)

Ive just ordered this driver to go with my XM-L2 U2, when it arrives...The driver will allow the diode to be direct driven at high power and has PWM (very high - so not visible) for lower powered modes. Just in case you want to up grade the reflector and lens...:eg:

Last edited:
Hey nice work! Great to see another one dabbling in flashlights! ;)

Ive just ordered this driver to go with my XM-L2 U2, when it arrives...The driver will allow the diode to be direct driven at high power and has PWM (very high - so not visible) for lower powered modes. Just in case you want to up grade the reflector and lens...:eg:

I was going to get that one today, but it's sold out.:undecided:

Why don't they continue to restock driver that are popular and worthy is beyond me.:undecided:

Blord

The pill is large enough to accommodate a copper star. The XML2 led is the new kid on the block. Love to see it direct drive with the east-092 driver. Good job !

Well it shouldn't be long as I've already placed the order and it will be here soon.

The pill is large enough to accommodate a copper star. The XML2 led is the new kid on the block. Love to see it direct drive with the east-092 driver. Good job !

Like I said in the OP I was just funnin around It's my dog walking unit.:beer:

I have about 10 different size stars coming from KD. I will star kicking some out soon I want to see how good I could get a small light to go. I might even use
one of the Xboost minis on one, set to stun:crackup:

glad i got mine when i did then if they sold out.

Me too, didnt know they had run out! Ill post my build once I get it all finished. Just have to successfully solder the led to the copper star first....;):beer:

Last edited: