Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safty Concerns

Virtue

Hello!

I have just finished construction of my first laser!

While i have not tested the systome useing the new bluray diode as of yet. I thought it would probably be best to ask about some "extra safty" that i could implament. I have already read the general safty and usage details found in "A GUIDE TO BUYING YOUR FIRST GREEN LASER" however; there are a few things i would like to ask.

1.Is there any type of protective eyeware / special sunglasses i can use to help shield my eyes from reflected light? Especialy the "dot".

2.Is it safe to view the "dot" at levels above 100mw even with eye protection?

My only other question which actualy concernes the safty of my new diode is that the seller specifies that it has been "tested at 130mw but can be pushed to 200mw". from past electronics endevors however i have found that BAD things can happen when you "push" (capasitor/diode/resistor)'s passed what they really are designed to take. Would anyone have any advice on what i should ACTUALY run this thing at?

I have compleated many "non-laser" projects in the past, Including some useing electron tubes. As far as things here stand however any advice at all is welcome no matter how silly it may seem to you.

Thanks in advance!

Pilgor

if you would have actually done 1 second of research you would have found the answer to your question. use the search bar

KiLLrB

First off welcome to the forums:) secondly you should always wear goggles anytime you are lasing at over 5mW ans far as the best type or place to get them someone else here will be able to help you with that.

Remember dont ever point at living things, aircraft or cars ;)

P.S. search is your friend ;)

DL sells 532nm glasses that also protect from blu-ray. they are rated as follows,
OD>4 @ 190-533nm
OD>3 @ 534-540nm
OD>2 @ 541-548nm
they are only $25, and a great investment if you own both wavelenghts, visit dragonlasers.com and click laser saftey on the left.

Welcome to the forum!

Without a laser power meter it would be impossible for you to calibrate your laser by milliwatts anyhow.

However my advice would be to not "push" that diode too far beyond it's limits or it will overheat and life will be much shorter than you would like.

Read these links, and I hope they help you.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

Virtue

Thanks!

Looked up the goggles and they seem resonably priced (not that i would know the difference at this point mind you lol). Also sorry about the whole "search" thing, as far as these fourms go i have only two days experence (two hours if you only count how long i have been on).

Also this is the same diode i am useing.
here.

as well as the datasheet
100mwdatasheet.pdf

and yes i know that i linked to some random seller on ebay but it was the same item. Hopefully so you see my confusion as a noob here it talks about "pulsed" as well as "CW" output. seems that i have a LOT to learn in this circle....

Hello!

I have just finished construction of my first laser!

While i have not tested the systome useing the new bluray diode as of yet. I thought it would probably be best to ask about some "extra safty" that i could implament. I have already read the general safty and usage details found in "A GUIDE TO BUYING YOUR FIRST GREEN LASER" however; there are a few things i would like to ask.

1.Is there any type of protective eyeware / special sunglasses i can use to help shield my eyes from reflected light? Especialy the "dot".

2.Is it safe to view the "dot" at levels above 100mw even with eye protection?

My only other question which actualy concernes the safty of my new diode is that the seller specifies that it has been "tested at 130mw but can be pushed to 200mw". from past electronics endevors however i have found that BAD things can happen when you "push" (capasitor/diode/resistor)'s passed what they really are designed to take. Would anyone have any advice on what i should ACTUALY run this thing at?

I have compleated many "non-laser" projects in the past, Including some useing electron tubes. As far as things here stand however any advice at all is welcome no matter how silly it may seem to you.

Thanks in advance!

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
I know that you are new here but... when you compose your Posts...
any words that are underlined in RED are spelling mistakes..
It is really a nuisance to read all those mistakes...:yh:

system
using
implement
safety
especially
actually
concerns
safety
endeavors
actually
completed
using...

I'm not nit picking....but merely pointing it out to
help you...

Jerry

KiLLrB

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
I know that you are new here but... when you compose your Posts...
any words that are underlined in RED are spelling mistakes..
It is really a nuisance to read all those mistakes...:yh:

system
using
implement
safety
especially
actually
concerns
safety
endeavors
actually
completed
using...

I'm not nit picking....but merely pointing it out to
help you...

Jerry

you forgot your badge Jerry
grammarpolice.jpg

:angel::whistle:

One or two errors is alright an normal... even I make spelling mistakes...
but 12 in one post... My eyes are crossed...:crackup:

Jerry

KiLLrB

One or two errors is alright an normal... even I make spelling mistakes...
but 12 in one post... My eyes are crossed...:crackup:

Jerry

O I hear ya man and i agree. Just thought ya might appreciate the humor lol:D

Virtue

-Safty Advisory-

I have horrid spelling!

Ok. In all honesty i could have put a bit more effort into that. If it makes you feel better i will use spellcheak in the future.

funny thing about spelling though read this.

Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

If you can read this, your brain is 50% faster than those who can't

Humor aside however thanks for the help so far on this project. now if only those goggles would get here.

PS: i found that on this site.

Yeah I hear you... saw that before about the Brain's capabilities..
No offense intended... the spellchecker underlines errors in red
when you compose your post...

BTW you can edit the Thread Tittle...

Go to EDIT your 1st post... click on Go Advanced and at the top
of that page you can edit the Title...:cool:

Jerry