Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

safety with my cheapo 200MW green laser pointer

I got at focal price. I do not have any safety glasses besides sunglasses, AS LONG as i do not stare into the beam, is this thing safe? I have used it to light matches for videos. I have also "engraved" my wife's name in the vcr remote (black plastic) am I safe as long as i don't point it in my eye? I have viewed the "dot" at fairly close range. i am new to lasers and i am trying to learn how to safely use these.

Last edited:

DJNY

Please read around a bit!

It IS dangerous how you use it without goggles.
I´m sure you heard that not only mirrors are able to reflect light?
Buy some cheap goggles at focalprice for $8, especially for burning experiences.

Please read around a bit!

It IS dangerous how you use it without goggles.
I´m sure you heard that not only mirrors are able to reflect light?
Buy some cheap goggles at focalprice for $8, especially for burning experiences.

thanks very much, so using it outside to point at stuff is safe?? what about pointing at stuff across the room? I have only used it a few times for burning and never for more than a few secs? I hope i haven't hurt my eyes, i have no symptoms. as far as goggles which ones do i need? i have a green laser and the color is 532nm i believe ALSO I have a color 447.5 nm (royal blue) LED flashlight that is VERY bright (5watts) is this thing of any danger as I have directly viewed the LED and the beam?

Last edited:

DJNY

Your best option is to go with this group buy http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/gb-oem-laser-systems-protective-eyewear-51496.html

Never underestimate a laser power! You only have one pair of exes in your life. I don´t use protection goggles when I´m playing with my lasers outside, I want to see how beautiful it is! But indoors for burning experiences I always wear them!!

In the above link I´m gonna buy the ARG 35 - sport style. Cool goggles which fulfil a high standard to a good price (with the group buy 20% discount).
You can use them with your 532nm (green) laser and the Arctic.

Read through the forums for more informations. I´m sure you already noticed the Search button.

Don't use the sunglasses. They'll darken what you'll see, causing your pupils to dilate, providing an even larger area for the beam to enter. Those cheap Focalprice goggles will be fine until you get a better pair. Shining the beam on a matte surface (like a non-shiny wall) is probably okay for very short durations, but I would not look at the dot.

DJNY: You might want to consider buying the ML-7 instead of the ARG if you're planning on using it for green. The ARG has an extremely high OD rating, making it very hard to see the green. You might as well just use the Focalprice goggles for that kind of protection, as it is really hard to see the light at all. More importantly, however, many green lasers lack sufficient IR filtering, and the ARG (and other low-pass goggles) only protects against low-wavelength light, leaving the IR unfiltered. As mentioned above, your pupils will be more dilated behind the goggles, letting in even more IR. The ML-7 has a 2.5+ rating for green (protects up to about 1W), and OD4.5+ for IR wavelengths, protecting your eyes against the IR.

If you're getting goggles for 445nm, consider the YLW, since it has lower OD (6+) than the ARG (but still extremely protecting), and much higher VLT so you can see what you're doing. Yes, this might cost you two pairs of goggles since the ML-7 does not cover 445nm, but the ML-7 would really suit you much better as it is for general use, and good IR protection.