Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety Question: KES-400A <10mW

Ryo

I just built up a KES-400A bluray laser, FlexDrive set to 30.4 mA (I changed out a 8k resistor for a 25k resistor to put the FlexDrive to 30mA-40mA current limit).

(Based on a chart made by DrLava) I'm estimating my output power to be around 9 mW.

How much risk is there for eye damage if I accidentally hit a reflective material?  When I say reflective I'm talking about white paper, or even a license plate, not a mirror.  The beam seems really bright to me so I wasn't sure if it's due to my eye adjusting to the wavelength or if I need to dial the laser down in power.

I'm just playing extra safe since my eyes are very important to me.

Thanks for you help!

edit: Just figured out the load circuit didn't give me a accurate current limit.. was actually at 36mA current draw, so output power was above 10 mW. Readjusted to 30.3 mA current limit.
This means I was looking at 11mW of power at too close for comfort.

at a power level that low you will have a much better chance at not having serious eye damage! but it still can happen

so take all the precautions you can.

a very quick reflection from say glass may hit your eye and your body should blink fast enough to not cause damage.

but dont go trying that out.

diachi

11mW of Violet can't be all that bright :-? It shouldn't be much brighter than a 5mW red . Anyway, you probably will be safe from specular reflections with 10mW i.e. reflections from paper or other white surfaces, although a direct beam exposure may cause damage.

-Adam

Ryo

Thanks guys.
This is good.. since I was also thinking of making this for a pointer in presentations. Was wondering if the reflective nature of a projector pull down screen would cause issues.

iewed

I believe that Dave (Daguin) uses 405nm pointers for presentations, if you have any concerns you should send a him a pm.