Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety goggles for all colors + IR filter ~16$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I were looking for some safety goggles and just found out that they are really expensive.
I mean, I'm not going to pay 70$ to protect my eye from red(100mw), green(40mw) and blue(~30mw). This is just not going to happen.
So I started googleing for 'how to build your own cheap laser goggles" and found this video: Safety goggles for less than $10
What do you think about it?
Is it a good idea to protect your eyes by using lighting gel filter foils instead of using 'professionel' stuff?
Btw, since these goggles won't afford any protection against the dangerous IR output of cheap (green) lasers, I thought about building an anti-IR-cap using an IR-filter and an old filmcan.
I could just pull it over the laser I'm currently using. :)
Of course this is no solution for say 500mw (i guess) but for <100mw this should be okay, right?

So all we need in theory is:
~0.00$-some old sunglasses/swim goggles
~0.00$--if youre poor take the inside of toilet paper roll cut it in half and connect the parts using some elastics/ribbons... :p
~8.00$-gel foils for all colours @ Amazon.com @ Amazon.de
~0.00$-an old empty filmcan (drill a hole in it and attach the IR filter to it OR just don't use a film can and attach the filter directly inside your laser or something)
~8.00$-IR-filter @ USA @ Europe

Thanks in advance for your opinion! :)
WeiredTowel

This sounds terrible and is a bad example for new members. Buy LEGIT goggles. Or you can just rock the blind view for the rest of your life. Not like you need your eyes anyways...

The video has such a bad like/dislike ration because this guy was not thinking about IR and maybe because of the bad soundquality.... That's basically it. But I won't have to worry about the IR when I'm using an IR filter...

You can buy LEGIT goggles for less then your trying to make them. You really wanna risk your vision like that? Please explain why....
I'm sure as hell not going to donate my eyes for transplant...

Im not trying to be rude, BTW. Im just extremely perturbed and concerned.

Last edited:
I spend more than 30 minutes searching and reading in this forum for "cheap goggles". 90% of the post were saying stuff like "this question was already asked a hundred times". In the other threats could only find safety goggles for >19$ (for only ONE color!).
So, If there are actually cheap legit goggles, I will of course buy them. But I wont pay more than more than 35$ for red/blue/green goggles.
Just give me some links.

Last edited:
I have the goggles from Lazerer.com and they work pretty well for the wavelengths i have. And i think other people like them as well.
You cant put a price on your vision. Wait a week, save 35 more dollars, and buy 2 pairs of goggles for red,blue, and green. And you should have some $ left over after that.
But in the end, its your decision. Not going to try and force safety down your throat hehe.
Have fun and be safe :)

Last edited:

Things

If you can't afford $26 to protect your vision, then please stay well away from lasers. You obviously can't afford a laser if you can't afford $26 to protect your eyesight anyway.

Last edited:
Yes. Try some of the other reputable websites. You can find goggles everywhere for the 8.99 plus shipping. Try amazon/aliexpress.

IR filters for your laser are relatively cheap from o-like.com. $3.50
Once installed into/onto the laser, your permanently protected from IR. Not all of it, but 98% of the IR will be blocked. Thats what a lot of people around here do.

You even said it yourself:
The video has such a bad like/dislike ration because this guy was not thinking about IR and maybe because of the bad soundquality.... That's basically it. But I won't have to worry about the IR when I'm using an IR filter...

Last edited:
Mmm.. okay, say I'm gonna buy the cheapest goggles i can find, Are they even going to protect my eyes from 300mw green? Because this is what I'm planning to buy next.

I were looking for some safety goggles and just found out that they are really expensive.
I mean, I'm not going to pay 70$ to protect my eye from red(100mw), green(40mw) and blue(~30mw). This is just not going to happen.
So I started googleing for 'how to build your own cheap laser goggles" and found this video: Safety goggles for less than $10
What do you think about it?
Is it a good idea to protect your eyes by using lighting gel filter foils instead of using 'professionel' stuff?

Thanks in advance for your opinion! :)
WeiredTowel
Not another one......:tired: Here is my opinion........

Simple answer.... NO !!!

Tell us.. please.... what is the going price for a
NEW PAIR OF EYES....

Stop watching Youtube and try listening to people that
know what they are talking about...

You don't need to spend $70 for Laser Safety Goggles
to protect you from red(100mw), green(40mw) or
blue(~30mw).

Search the Forum and you will find tests done on
lower priced Laser Safety Goggles that will be fine
for the powers you suggest.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Wow, I really start to like this forum... Calm down a little bit please! And read the other posts of this thread before you answer.
Simple answer.... NO !!! Stop watching Youtube and try listening to people that know what they are talking about...
For me it doesn't really sound like you would know what you are talking about. Everything I wanted were some good arguments for/against doing this. Stuff like "YOU WILL DIE, OMG STOP, YOU ARE SO STUPID!" is seriously not going to help me.
You don't need to spend $70 for Laser Safety Goggles to protect you from red(100mw), green(40mw) or
blue(~30mw).
Kartracer00 already told me!
Search the Forum and you will find tests done on
lower priced Laser Safety Goggles that will be fine
for the powers you suggest.
I spend more than 30 minutes searching[...]
Please give me a link, I would really appreciate it.
edit: I just took another look at these goggles: http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog...reen-Lasers-Protection-190-548nm-p-16242.html and it looks like this is an all in one solution oO. Or do I have to chose between one of these colors? edit2: damit I'D still need red safety goggles. :/

EDIT3: aliexpress seems to be pretty cheap: Protection against red 650nm $14.99 + $4.05 shipping to Germany
What are the cheapestg goggles I can get, that are protecting me against green 532nm 300mW (and maybe blue 450nm)? Are these okay: http://lazerer.com/beginner-safety-goggles-for-532nm-445nm-laser ? Or is 300mW far too much for them?

Last edited:
iR0wu.gif

(Note that Bill Cosby is also shielding his eyes from the OP who doesn't value good eye protection.)

I guess your eyes are worth less than $70. That's like 7 contact lenses (not pairs). If you don't want something that is quality, why spend money at all if it's not going to help?

The RGB goggle subject and reasons why they aren't helpful has already been discussed. Look up "RGB goggles" in the search box. Summary: broadband goggles suck. You're going to have to buy multiple pairs of goggles and ensure they're all good for what you're using them for.

The IR output of most green lasers is far weaker than the green output. Even then, the IR output diverges quite a bit, and the highest concentration of the IR is where the green beam is anyway. You should worry about the green more than the IR. If you're still worried about IR, you'll just have to plop down extra money for some goggles that will protect against both. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Aliexpress isn't even a single shop. It's just a site where companies out of places like China can sell and advertise their stuff. The site is like a big bazaar. Who knows if you can trust those companies or sellers. You might as well just buy something from eBay, or do some searching around here to see what goggles people have actually tested.

Why is $26 so much for a pair of red-protecting goggles? Why don't you just save some money and not buy any red lasers instead? You don't need all the wavelengths, and if you do, you ought to have adequate, certified protection so you don't burn out your priceless eyes.

This is one of the worst forums I've ever seen! IT IS REDICULOUS! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF ALL THIS! YOU ARE ALL JUST SAYING THE SAME THING "IT IS DANGEROUS, YOU WILL GET PERMANENT EYE-DAGAGE" ETC ETC. WHAT ABOUT GIVING ME SOME FREAKING GOOD ARGUMENTS?!
I'm "playing" for a half year with my lasers now, got lot of refelction directly in my eyes and my ophthalmologist still says that my eyes are okay!
So actually I'm thinking about buying very cheap glasses or build some myself OR just don't give a fuck about all this and go on playing with my lasers like I did it in the past! (When I bought a 300mw green laser I will of course buy some appropriate goggles for it.) But for now I just don't care about what you're saying until you gave me some better arguments than "IT CAN BLIND YOU!" or "It is dangerous, a friend told me that his sister's father's secretary knew a guy who blinded himself with a 40mw green laser."

btw MOST green laserpens >30mw have more IR output than actual green output!

Last edited:
^^ I don't think this is the place for you. When I race at the strip I definitely have a roll cage welded in the car, a full suit and helmet on. I've never crashed on the track, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start racing without gear. If you can't be mature, and can't drop more that $30 on some goggles, leave here and take up knitting. I hear it's cheap. But be sure to wear safety glasses, wouldn't want you poking your eye out...

Status
Not open for further replies.