Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety goggles and eyes help.

Hey guys.

I just got my 100mW green laser and I decided to test it out with the help of my dad.
Now 2 questions:

1. Will a pair of 800nm glasses be good for the job? I have a pair from before.

2. My dad and I weren't wearing any safety googles, we were trying to burn a match (Failed), the reflection went to our eyes for about 1-8 seconds also 3 times. My dad was seeing green where ever he looked but I didn't see anything. He told me he wasn't seeing anything after 2 minutes. Will there be an affect to our eyes? Should we see an optometrist?

Edit: I mean 808nm sorry.

Last edited:

Zeebit

You green laser is most likely a 532nm laser so your goggles wont work. You need one that blocks the 532nm wavelength. Don't burn anything unless you have glasses on.

While the ~808nm goggles will block some of the IR light leaking out of the green laser, the IR is a small proportion of the total output coming out of that laser -- on virtually all functioning green lasers. So if you're going to protect your eyes, filter out the dominant wavelength, in this case, the green.

You're in luck. Those super cheap red laser enhancement goggles (like this) you can buy virtually anywhere will filter out green nicely. They're hard to see anything with, but they'll do the job.

While the ~808nm goggles will block some of the IR light leaking out of the green laser, the IR is a small proportion of the total output coming out of that laser -- on virtually all functioning green lasers. So if you're going to protect your eyes, filter out the dominant wavelength, in this case, the green.

You're in luck. Those super cheap red laser enhancement goggles (like this) you can buy virtually anywhere will filter out green nicely. They're hard to see anything with, but they'll do the job.

Alright thanks for that. The seller of those goggles doesn't ship to Australia, but I did find a cheap pair on eBay Protection Goggles Laser Safety Glasses Green Blue | eBay not sure if this good enough.

You green laser is most likely a 532nm laser so your goggles wont work. You need one that blocks the 532nm wavelength. Don't burn anything unless you have glasses on.

will do, thanks for that.

Yeah, those goggles will work. Beware that while they do work (and are cheap), that the red is annoying to see things with. Eventually you'll probably want something better like ARG orange filter type goggles that protect for that range. Those ARG orange filter goggles also protect well for 445nm lasers, which some day you'll probably want, and which are far more powerful (1.4W+) and dangerous.

For now, those red laser enhancement goggles are good to have around, and good for guests who want to be around your lasers.

Hey guys.

I just got my 100mW green laser and I decided to test it out with the help of my dad.
Now 2 questions:

1. Will a pair of 800nm glasses be good for the job? I have a pair from before.

2. My dad and I weren't wearing any safety googles, we were trying to burn a match (Failed), the reflection went to our eyes for about 1-8 seconds also 3 times. My dad was seeing green where ever he looked but I didn't see anything. He told me he wasn't seeing anything after 2 minutes. Will there be an affect to our eyes? Should we see an optometrist?

Well, 800nm glasses don't exist. It's 808nm and I guarantee it wasn't true 100mW, if it was and you got hit 3 times as you say for 1-8 seconds. Your dad would have a permanent spot on his eye.

Anyway, be more careful man! If it's one of those cheap chinese lasers green is the least of you're worries, it's that IR.;)

Well, 800nm glasses don't exist. It's 808nm and I guarantee it wasn't true 100mW, if it was and you got hit 3 times as you say for 1-8 seconds. Your dad would have a permanent spot on his eye.

Anyway, be more careful man! If it's one of those cheap chinese lasers green is the least of you're worries, it's that IR.;)

Thanks for that. :)

But I won't need to to worry about it for now because my laser isn't working. I think the diode is missing a piece on the top.

http://postimg.org/image/dsju79w6r/

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the bond wire and possibly the die itself are completely gone.\
Did you attach it to a camera flash or something? :eek:

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the bond wire and possibly the die itself are completely gone.\
Did you attach it to a camera flash or something? :eek:

Dang so the diode is broken. :(

No, I opened it to find it broken after the laser stopped working.
Any where I can get a 100mW green laser diode at a cheap price?

Any where I can get a 100mW green laser diode at a cheap price?

It depends what you consider cheap. Although I think you mean a green DPSS laser. Since you live in australia theres not much you can do except buy a cheap green pointer off ebay. If you actually meant a green laser diode you can get the bare diodes from DTR's shop for $85.