Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety Goggle Test - Bynovel Laser Glasses on Amazon

I received a PM from a fellow LPM member who had purchased some of these goggles on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Bynovel Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses Goggles Goggle Glass Shield for Green Blue Laser Pointer: Home Improvement

The member asked me to test a pair to see if they would be ok for his 50mW green laser pointer. The goggles arrived in the mail today and I ran a couple of tests. Unfortunately, I fried my high power 405nm laser by putting the batteries in the laser incorrectly, so I was unable to effectively test that wavelength.

I was able to test 445-450 and 532.

For those of you who have been following the "cheap safety goggles" threads here on LPF, you may know that I have a bunch of Honeywell/UVEX SCT-Orange goggles that I have tested and found them to be very good for my needs in supplying eye protection for up to 1.5 watts of 445nm laser light.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-tested-71621.html

Immediately upon opening the Bynovel laser safety glasses I noticed a couple of things.

First, these are RED, not Orange as I am accustomed to using.
Second, they appear much thinner and more cheaply made than the UVEX goggles that I have been using.

I found this surprising since these are being sold as laser protection goggles.

Next, I got out my Laser Bee A laser power meter and zeroed it in, and fired up my RPL-165 Optotronics 532nm green laser and tested it. I actually got a peak of 200mW (a personal best) but snapped this shot at 196mW.

RPL-165 by tsteele93, on Flickr

Then, I put the Bynovel laser safety goggles down and after the Laser Bee A had cooled back down to zero, I tested again.

Bynovel Laser Safety Goggles by tsteele93, on Flickr

They let 4 mW through the glasses, and this may be infra-red. I'm not sure. Either way, not a bad result for a green laser at 200mW.

BUT there WAS a problem. I had noticed a huge amount of glare through my UVEX safety glasses when I was doing the test. This was because my RPL-165 laser was etching the glasses and smoking the plastic during the test.

This did NOT happen when I tested the UVEX glasses earlier.

I don't have an easy way to mark the picture as I am posting this from my iPad, but if you look at the lens, you will see what looks kind of like a backslash made from white dots. That is the etching/melting that was taking place.

Damage by tsteele93, on Flickr

Next I tested my Survival Laser 1.25 watt LPF bundle laser.

Survival Lasers 445nm 1.25 watt laser by tsteele93, on Flickr

A bit overspec with the added 405G1 lens. :)

Then I tested with the Bynovel laser safety glasses. I knew to be careful from the previous test, so I defocused the Survival Laser quite a bit.

Glasses on fire! by tsteele93, on Flickr

In spite of my attempts to defocus the lens, I immediately noticed smoke, so I shut it off and defocused more. I also re-zeroed the LPM at this point as it has drifted slightly.

Zero mW but the glasses are melting by tsteele93, on Flickr

As you can see, the goggles are stoping nearly 1.4 watts of 445 nm laser light, but they are also starting to fail catastrophically.

Here is a picture of some of the damage done. The bottom marks are from the first two green and blue tests, and the larger wavy damage up higher on the lens is from the following blue test with the goggles defocused - they were melting even with the lens very defocused. I did not test with a precise beam because I did not want to set off the smoke alarms in my house.

More Damage by tsteele93, on Flickr

I suspect that I can burn a hole right through these in short order with a focused beam. The UVEX goggles will fail with extended exposure to a 1.3+ watt focused beam, but I believe it will take them MUCH longer to fail than these thin Bynovel laser glasses.

I will test for failure time with both goggles another day when I can do it in the workshop.

Finally, I did a longer blue test with my RHD single mode 450nm blue laser rated at 150mW. I have since added one of Jayrob's G1 lenses to this build and am getting 200 mW from this laser.

RHD single mode 150mW 450nm blue by tsteele93, on Flickr

I did this so I could do a longer test without burning through the goggles the way the 1.4 watt Survival laser does.

200mW of 450nm blue by tsteele93, on Flickr

Again, the Bynovel laser safety goggles stop the blue light from getting through. But even at 200mW there was some damage and light smoking from the glasses.

In summary, these glasses cost about the same as the UVEX goggles. The UVEX goggles are thicker, better made and do not begin to smoke and catch on fire at ALL in the 200mW range, and only begin to show some waviness in the plastic at levels above 1.2 watts.

There really is no contest, of you are looking for a CHEAP set of goggles, the UVEX goggles are a much better choice than the Bynovel "laser safety" goggles.

I personally would not recommend the Bynovel goggles at all. *However, for the member that asked me to test them who has a 50mW green laser, I believe that they will be sufficient.*

One thing I would caution is that without testing your green laser for infra red, there is no way of knowing if the laser is putting out significant quantities of ir. these glasses are very unlikely to block ANY infra-red and that could potentially be dangerous.

Last edited:

wow, thanks for the review. I own 2 pairs of these. Since they arent certified, I wasnt ready to trust these against my 1.3W 445nm laser. So iwent ahead and got some Argon KTP laser safety glasses. These cheap ones may be fine for anything under 100mW, but im not ready to trust these for higher powered lasers.

Well that time it is smoldering is a good time to look away, seems safe, try to tests where your not left with messed up eye wear shine them close to the edge or some glasses have some lens on the side, most good goggles with burn as they are absorbing the radiation you don't want in your eye, it gives you time to move. Cheapies reflect allot but that's not good for anyone else in the room.

If you don't care and are solo you can apply 60% mirror tint to cheapies and they reflect about 90% but that may save your eye, I never, never trust any goggles for a direct shot in my eye.

Good review though!

Last edited:
Thanks, at these prices (<$10) I don't mind sacrificing them. If I shot through the side, sure enough someone would say it wasn't accurate because I didn't shoot through the front of the lens.

I will say the UVEX take a LOT more power and a lot more time to start failing. At basically the same price shipped, I would be much more comfortable with them.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tsteele93 again."
:(

Good review! Def won't trust these to protect my eyes from >1W laser.

Last edited:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tsteele93 again."
:(

Good review! Def won't trust these to protect my eyes from >1W laser.

Lol, that happens to me all the time! Seems like certain members I just like their posts.

sinner

That's some Impressive work by you!! :beer:
In most of the cases the reflections/flashes that occur accidently arnt more than a few seconds maybe even less than that, They wouldnt melt on that occasion but a person should be "doubtful" and not use them as "primary eye safety" even though they do work but when bad gets going how bad does the going get!!

Can you do a review without referring back to the uvex goggles?

Seems your ego wont let that go.

And LOL on the backwards battery. Really shows what kind of pro you pretend to be.

Can you do a review without referring back to the uvex goggles?

Seems your ego wont let that go.

And LOL on the backwards battery. Really shows what kind of pro you pretend to be.

whats that about an ego :whistle:

sorry not picking on ya but I could not resist.

My ego is righteous. I know what I know, and when I dont know I say it. I also listen to people who know more than me, and apologize when I'm wrong.

We had a lengthy discussion on that Uvex thread. Multiple people told him how we do testing here. It was said by more intelligent people than me, without egos. But his ego wont let it go because he cant admit he was wrong. In this thread its obviously he hasn't let it go, and is dead set that he is right.

One test subject doesn't warrant a recommendation. Most people get this simple fact.

I may have a different view of the term ego than you, haha but I got some info out of the review, I did not check the other review yet. Anyway just trying to lighten the mood so to speak. I could always use reviews on cheap glasses though. Even if the testing is a bit biased I can look at results and make my own judgment.

I will say this, I read the other thread, based on the color of the shade, I will take the unex, I am highly surprised the bynovels absorbed the laser, they look like red enhancers for laser lines levelers, He got allot of flack, but was misquoted and folks had huge unrealistic expectations for a laser hobbyist. -"hobbyist- a person who pursues an activity in their spare time for pleasure" Not a professional. Anyway I hope he keeps up the reviews so I don't waste anymore cash trying to find cheap goggles for guests :)