Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

S-RGB1000A Projector

ARG

I bought a couple of these projectors to use as satellite projectors. These were purchased from Winni at Goldenstarlaser.com

You can see the product page here.

First off I would like to say that Winni is great to work with, she replies very fast and is easy to work with.

I ordered these projectors with the optional flight case for 40$ extra each. They fit the projector perfectly, with enough room to store a DAC and some cables on top. It is well worth it in my opinion as flight cases normally cost around 200$, and they wouldn't be perfectly fitted for the projector.
One of the rubber feet on the flightcase fell off during shipping, it wasn't due to bad construction quality because the rest of the feet are on really tight, I assume DHL must have bumped it pretty hard along the way somewhere, I am working with Winni to get a replacement.

Sorry for the bad image quality my friend is on a vacation to Vegas so he needed his old DSLR back as a backup camera.
3pn7q.jpg

W3FRa.jpg

The cases were covered in tape from shipping, and it left a huge sticky mess. It's going to take me a while with googone to get it all off.

Now, onto the projector.
The specs advertised is:
200mW and 300mW 638nm 1.5mm, 1.2mrad
100mW 532nm 3mm, 2mrad
500mW 445nm 4x2mm, 2x0.5mrad

The blue and the green were as advertised, each projector was producing 85mW of green and 470mW of blue. Taking into account the optics loss, I would say that is on spec.

The red is a whole different story though. Instead of two modules it was just one and the beam was NOT 1.5mm, 1.2mrad. It was a single module with a multimode mitsubishi diode, and no correction. The beam is massive and rectangular. The power wasn't even up to spec, it metered at 370mW on one projector, and 400mW on the other. I'm not upset about the power though, as the white balance is already pink enough with that much red, but I would have liked to know the real beam size before ordering. It's not a huge deal since I am using these for beams only, but it is disappointing compared to what was advertised.
Edit: Divergence is 3.5*1.3mrad and beam size is 4.5*3mm at aperture.

The construction of the projectors is okay, the modules are mounted onto thin plates that prop them up to the height of the optics mounts. I don't think it will be a problem, but if they heat up and expand it could throw off the alignment. The optic mounts are okay as well, they are not adjustable and are essentially just holders. This will be a paint in the a** if the projector ever needs realignment, but they are bolted down really tight and are glued down. If they can survive the bumpy trip from China and still stay aligned I am confident that they will last a while. If I ever have to re-algin them though I may as well throw them out and buy 3-aixis mounts.
pn78a.jpg

LW3Uo.jpg

The built in features on this projector are actually neat and useful. The projector has a built in LCD screen on the back for easy operation. The sound mode works really well, the beams match up really well with the music, a lot better than what I have seen with the REKE. The projector also feature a SD card mode, you can load .ild files on the card (Winni included a 1gb card for each projector) and you can select the frames with the LCD display panel. It also has DMX which I have not tried, and an auto mode with pre-programmed frames. You can also select the scan size and scan speed in the menu. ILDA control works quite well, and the scan angle is unaffected despite going through a show card (this was a problem with the REKE)
hB7jO.jpg

Toiwy.jpg

As for price, I paid 325$ each for these with PT-20's (PT's are not as good compared to DT's) then 40$ each for the flight cases, 7$/kg for shipping which came out to 70$ each, 4% paypal fee's which was around 35$, then 85$ each at the door for tax :( + 10$ DHL brokerage fee. Even though they were marked as 30$ each, customs decided that they were worth about 500$ each. DHL only charged 10$ for brokerage, so I am very happy with that; most other couriers would charge an insane amount for brokerage. In total the pair of these cost me around 1150$ Canadian. I was aiming to pay only 500$ each, so I went a bit over budget.

Last edited:

Congratulations on their arrival! :D

When you mention using these as satellites, does that mean they will be backup to a more powerful main projector? Are you planning on programming your own graphics for these?

Yeah brokerage really sucks, I remember receiving a warranty related RC helicopter part free of charge and being charged $75 at the door by UPS, I have heard DHL is the one to go for for lowest brokerage fees.

As with Tom's I am looking forward to seeing some beam show videos of your guys's new projectors if you have the time to record something. :)

Last edited:

ARG

Congratulations on their arrival! :D
Thanks! :)

When you mention using these as satellites, does that mean they will be backup to a more powerful main projector? Are you planning on programming your own graphics for these?

Yes, these will be backing up a more powerful projector (once I can afford it) I have this in my sights as the moment :) 5W RRGBB with DT-40W's
S-RGB5000 - $1,875.00 : Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com, Laser Light-goldenstarlaser.com
I plan on making my own shows, but it's very time consuming to do it right.

Yeah brokerage really sucks, I remember receiving a warranty related RC helicopter part free of charge and being charged $75 at the door by UPS, I have heard DHL is the one to go for for lowest brokerage fees.
DHL only charged 10$ in brokerage :D The rest was tax and duty :(

As with Tom's I am looking forward to seeing some beam show videos of your guys's new projectors if you have the time to record something. :)

I will have some videos of the beams up tomorrow night hopefully. I don't want to do pictures though because without a DSLR they will be rubbish.
I have a good video camera, but I can't even use that to record the beam because the camera records at 60FPS minimum, so it looks really flickery, I have to use my phone camera to get a decent video.

Wow that S-RGB5000 looks like it will be a real beast! I can't imagine how cool that would look!

How is the brightness indoors with the two new projectors if you don't mind, I was wondering with Tom's as well if it is ever too bright in a confined space such as in a house.

Have you thought about quitting school and going into business with a Laser Show company? Looks you are set for some hardcore laser shows now! :eg:

Last edited:

ARG

How is the brightness indoors if you don't mind, I was wondering with Tom's as well if it is ever too bright in a confined space such as in a house.

It's actually not to bad for brightness, if you're projection onto a white wall then it would hurt to look at after a while, but projecting on a dark coloured surface is perfect.

Have you thought about quitting school and going into business with a Laser Show company? Looks you are set for some hardcore laser shows now! :eg:

Quit school? :crackup: I'm almost done!

It's actually not to bad for brightness, if you're projection onto a white wall then it would hurt to look at after a while, but projecting on a dark coloured surface is perfect.

Quit school? :crackup: I'm almost done!

Oh you are that is great!! :wave:

Thanks for the advice on the background, that's a good point to keep in mind about reducing the brightness.

Last edited:
Wow, your story about fees is scary. I had DHL leave a sticker on the door, I called them and they came back about 10 minutes later (the driver said she was nearby so it was easier just to swing by than it would have been to re-schedule later that day) and there were no fees at all.

I would have been disappointed if I had gotten hammered with fees.

Interestingly, the only thing that has ever gotten me fees with literally hundreds of various orders from China via Ebay, Amazon, DX and hosts of other sites was a $100 order of flashlights that came via FedEx.

Avoid FedEx like plague when importing if you can. DHL seems to try their best to just deliver what they have for you without adding any hassles or fees. I know that ultimately it may not be FedEx's fault, but when I DID have those fees, they charged me a pretty ridiculous fee to collect a fairly small duty. I was irked. I would think that a good delivery company would do their best to minimize any duty fees by not adding draconian fees of their own on top of any duty that you may incur.

I know AnthoT has had nightmare stories of FedEx messing with his group buys. I just haven't seen any sign that FedEx is in it for anything but making as much money off of each individual shipment as possible. DHL seems more interested in making the customer happy and trying to earn their repeat business.

They certainly have mine.

ARG, I am sorry to hear about your red laser problem. Did you find out anything from Winni about how that happened and is there any resolution?

ARG

ARG, I am sorry to hear about your red laser problem. Did you find out anything from Winni about how that happened and is there any resolution?

I still haven't asked her yet, I will later today when she's online though. I don't think there will be a solution though. The best way for me to fix it would be to crop the beam a little. It would reduce the amount of red power to balance out the white and fix the beam.

Well,

I was thinking $. Seems to me unless they have a good reason they should compensate you if they didn't build it with the lasers they were supposed to use...

I know you saw my thread, and best I could tell they built mine to the exact specs they claimed. I haven't checked powers but I've been around pointers enough to know that my red is certainly reasonably bright and pretty tight. And I opened it up and it definitely has DT30's in it, which was a concern I had before I got it.

If it had - let's just say - PT30's or lesser scanners I would certainly would have been at least asking for some $ back.

Also, from a seller perspective, I would think that goldenstarlaser.com and Winni would want to protect their reputation in these forums by making it right, or explaining why it was ok not to use the lasers that were in the product description.

I could imagine they might explain that it was an improvement now that they are able to get a higher power single module to reach the same power or something like that... but if that wasn't the case then I would think that future prospective buyers would want to know that they could count on the unit to be built correctly.

One thing that was nice about mine was that Winni sent pictures of it being built so I would have spotted any problems.

ARG

Well, I will talk to Winni tonight and see what she can do.
I also spotted a problem with the green module in one of the projectors. When displaying frames with many different colours the green fades out until it's gone. The green in the other projector is fine.

Edit: Picture of the problem, displaying blanking test frame in only green
http://i.imgur.com/kacGT.jpg

Edit2: Measured the red. Divergence is 3.5*1.3mrad and beam size is 4.5*3mm at aperture. Not even close to 1.5mm 1.2mrad.

Last edited:

Grix

Well, I will talk to Winni tonight and see what she can do.
I also spotted a problem with the green module in one of the projectors. When displaying frames with many different colours the green fades out until it's gone. The green in the other projector is fine.

Edit: Picture of the problem, displaying blanking test frame in only green
http://i.imgur.com/kacGT.jpg

Edit2: Measured the red. Divergence is 3.5*1.3mrad and beam size is 4.5*3mm at aperture. Not even close to 1.5mm 1.2mrad.

Looks like a software problem. The green being DPSS has a slower reaction time than the diode lasers and you need to set your software correctly to compensate for the delay.

ARG

Looks like a software problem. The green being DPSS has a slower reaction time than the diode lasers and you need to set your software correctly to compensate for the delay.

What setting would this be? I tried messing around with the blanking settings in Quickshow without any luck.

Edit: This only happens with one projector, the other is just fine with the green blanking

Last edited:

ARG

It's not just a blanking issue any more when I was doing some shows tonight the green just kept on fading away; you have to strain to see the green in one projector now.

Winni has yet to reply about this problem, which is strange for her since she usually replys so fast.

Here's a video of the two PJ's. Sorry for the quality, a good video camera has to much FPS for capturing beams.

Ouch !
Yeah, it is obvious that the green in the one isn't doing things right.
And both the reds are NOT to spec either, you say.
Hope it all works out fine for you.

Even if you are "Evil".
Yes you are.

ARG

I got a reply from Winni, she said it's to do with the KTP inside one of the modules. Hopefully she can work this problem out :)

This picture better outlines the problem: http://i.imgur.com/1r0X4.jpg