Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

running diodes in series HELP

Never run 2 diodes off one driver and want to make sure i'm wiring everything correctly before I kill 2 635nm diodes.

to start i'm using a flexmod p3 as my driver

my diodes are 2 mitsu 500mw 635nm's

whats a safe current to run these with decent life, 1.5amps each?

-Nick

What diode are you talking about? Do you mean the 500mW 638nm ML501P73? If so then you can't run them at 1.5A. The data sheet says 800mA max and DTR recommends 900mA, and people are driving them at up to 1.3A, don't go above that or you may kill or quickly degrade the diode. If you want to be sure of long life you should probably keep it down to 1A.

Alan

yes i'm referring to the ML501p73 diode. i'm looking at his sale page and I see him running the diode up to 1.9 amps! regardless i'll turn down the current to 1 amp per diode, still need to know how to wire them up.
-Nick

running diodes in series

still need to know how to wire them up.

zZfF9Sh.gif

So... you know the word (series) for your configuration, but you don't know what series means? How can you even arrive at the conclusion you need a specific configuration without knowing what that configuration is?

Rifter

zZfF9Sh.gif

So... you know the word (series) for your configuration, but you don't know what series means? How can you even arrive at the conclusion you need a specific configuration without knowing what that configuration is?

I was thinking the same thing.

OP i would not run those at 1.5 amps seems high from what i have seen people running them at.

I know what a series config is hahaha, i'm not sure this is the proper setup for what i'm trying to achieve.
i remember reading a resistor between the two diodes might be a good idea in case one fails.... think that's for parallel setup.

who here has run a dual setup?

You just put them in series. It's as simple as it sounds. Things get hairy if the diode case isn't neutral, but this diode is case neutral.