Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RS butane gas powered soldering iron.  Have o

I just got a new butane gas powered soldering iron last week. I got it from radio shack and it was about $20. I like it because it has no wires to worry about. The main problem I have when soldering with my other irons is the wires. I have a corded soldering iron and de-soldering iron. The problem I often have with them is the wires crossing and one of them falling off onto the floor when I move the other.

This new iron is really neat. It’s a little shorter than a pen and has a clip to put it in your pocket. The igniter is also on the clip. On the back of the package it says that it is adjustable to the equivalent of 30-70 watts.

Does anyone else have one of these?

JLSE

Re: RS butane gas powered soldering iron.  Have o

I had one but wore it out, they are great for wiring on the car. I got quite a bit of use out of it, but for some reason it seems that the butane slowly eats at the plastic after a while and the gas eventually leaks. A good idea is to let it empty when putting it away. :(

Now that you mention it, it did seem to have a little less in it than yesterday.

Thats too bad.

JLSE

The key to anything butane is, replace the tank with metal or buy a couple when their on sale

Re: RS butane gas powered soldering iron.  Ha

I use mine quite frequently, but I need new tips for it. The level adjustment is a little touchy, and it does tend to adjust itself when it warms up. The gas will slowly leak out even when it's off, but other than that, it's a quite capable tool and far more effective than the electric irons I have.

Since were on the topic of soldering irons you know whats a good way to break them :D... i had just finished and i set it on the garage floor to cool down when i acidentaly stepped on it with flip flops and i didnt know i was sitting on it so when i walked off it was covered in a big blog of black rubber all on it, needless to say i spent awhile with some sandpaper and its pretty much back to normal now.. luckly :)

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Awsome, i just found one of my dads old butane soldering iron he had 8 years ago, it had been sitting there for 8 whole years that the tank was completely full!!, i guess they really did make things better back then... my one complaint with the plug in ones is that the weight of the cord always wants to pull it off but i never have to worry about that again :)

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Re: RS butane gas powered soldering iron.  Ha

I have an Iroda Pro-tool 70W butane iron. It gets hot enough to be the power equivalent of a 130W iron at full power. (confirmed with a K-type temp probe & reader and some maths)
It keeps butane nicely and I love it! I will never go back to electric.
Plus, it came in a nice little carry case with a foam mould which holds iron, cover/flint lighter thing, tube of solder, metal dish with cleaner sponge, and the 3 other tips (blowtorch, hot air, hot knife)

I highly recommend everyone consider going gas powered. Only thing is, be sure to buy a quality one. Cheap ones DO NOT last. Weller and Iroda are good brands.

wannaburn said:
I had one but wore it out, they are great for wiring on the car. I got quite a bit of use out of it, but for some reason it seems that the butane slowly eats at the plastic after a while and the gas eventually leaks. A good idea is to let it empty when putting it away. :(

hehe, mine leaks as well. I can fill it, adn use it, but the butane spits out the back around the refill hole in about an hour or so. I have a industrial type UltraTorch UT100( I can solder 4 gauge with it), but they want $34 to fix it, and I have been to cheap to send it in, so I am now mostly using a $7 15w corded one.