Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

rotating diffraction gratings & lego

Did anyone figure out details of the "full of awsome" thread.

There are two rotating diffraction gratings, done using lego. The tricky part will be the fact that the rotating cogs holding the gratings are clear in the middle (i.e. an annulus), allowing the laser light thru, so cannot accept an axle in the centre. It was not clear what was holding those cogs in place in the absence of an axle, or where those parts came from eg a certain lego model or part.

I have a box of technical lego from the 1980s and am thinking of giving it a go. Will probably need to get a few new parts.

Did anyone figure out details of the "full of awsome" thread.

There are two rotating diffraction gratings, done using lego. The tricky part will be the fact that the rotating cogs holding the gratings are clear in the middle (i.e. an annulus), allowing the laser light thru, so cannot accept an axle in the centre. It was not clear what was holding those cogs in place in the absence of an axle, or where those parts came from eg a certain lego model or part.

I have a box of technical lego from the 1980s and am thinking of giving it a go. Will probably need to get a few new parts.

When referring to a Thread... a Link is usually very helpful...

Jerry

Sorry, here is the link

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/diffraction-gratings-full-awesome-47429.html

This one is kind of awesome. How much that is derived from having the grating at the centre of rotation I dont know, but it may help. The patterns on the wall appeal to me most, not the beams.

You can support a hollow cog with other cogs placed around it, but there will be a tendency for it to work away and fall off without an axle

e3935f6d.jpg

Hmmm, tried glasses ?
Thanks for the former post. I think there is something special when the laser is pointing through the centre of rotation, the patterns of the wall look different, like a kalidescope, in fact "full of awesome" is a good description. The other way, well its not quite as impressive to my eyes.

IsaacT

Where would be a good place to buy these gratings? And what are they technically called?

You could use small free-spinning gears to support the large one. Then, one of those could power it, or you could use the right-angle cogs to rotate the large one if you want faster speed

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
What the crap, that is not what I wanted to see. KetSteniano is banished for life and all posts from that account are deleted, that kinda trash needs to stay in the sewer where it belongs.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting rid of that 2007Revolution!
Let's get back to why I went here to begin with.
I love to see any builds with Lego's...I played with them as a child and still have them. I'v seen alot of very creative uses for Lego's over the years. To bad they don't work to well as heatsinks;).....Hand-held Lego 445nm Pointer coming!