Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rkctsr driver problem

For some reason, the full range driver I bought from Rkc does'nt want to go over 199mA. It is a full range, and I'm using two 10440 and the dummy load from Rkc. Can somebody explain this to me, I'm lost :can:

Oh, why is my image not showing? Can you see it?
<----

Last edited:

umm are your batts fully charged? and i thing those batts come in different voltages. what voltage are yours and how many are you using?

Yea the first thing to try is a different battery or power supply.

Best regards Pyro...

Could it not be a full range?
Also, with what batteries should I try?
I've only got 10440, and the regular alkalines, and no power supply.

Use 3 X fully charged 10440's and you should be good.

Regards rog8811

Try your dummy load on the "red" setting. If you can get a higher current there, the problem is simply that your input voltage is too low for BR. Also (sorry for asking) did you switch your DMM to the 2.0V/2.0A setting (assuming you're using the 1.0 Ohm resistor to check the current)?

This host is an unfortunate choice. Too low voltage for BR & Microdrive, too high for the drlava Flexdrive...

rkcstr

Make sure you are using enough voltage, as others were saying. If you're testing on the "BLU" setting on the Test Load, you may not be giving the driver enough voltage to maintain regulated current and it is only able to put out ~200mA at the voltage you're using.

Also, make sure you do actually have a full-range driver. It should have a resistor marked with "2R7" near the battery input if it is.

Ok, first, Dr ebert, I understand only half of what your saying, secundo, I've already built multiple lasers, so I know my stuff and thus it was set to red, since I was making a red laser; third, I tested the resitance of the pot and got 3.56 ohms, wich tells me it might be a battery problem and finally fourth, fully charged 10440 give 4.25V each by what I mesured, so three of those would give me 13V, higher than the driver tolerance.

Now I gave you more info. I hope this will help ya.

And my driver, I just checked it, is full range.

Sorry, I blindly assumed you were trying to Build a BluRay Laser... my bad.

I don't know what else to check via message exchange only at this point (you did check that the batteries aren't damaged and can actually deliver higher currents?)...

rkcstr

If you still can't figure it out, you can send it back to me and I'll take a look. If something's wrong, I'll fix it.

I've tested 2 pairs of new batt. Doesn't work. How much for the sipping if I ship it back?

Edit : A new driver for another laser is on the way, I'll switch them I think since the other one only needs 100mA, and that one is stuck at 200

rkcstr

If you pay for shipping to me, I'll pay for shipping back. Just put a note in the package to remind me that you need me to test it. Also, make sure you use a padded envelope to avoid damage during shipping.

I'll desolder it for a 3th time, run it thru a some good testing, and if I can't figure it out, I'll ship it via post Canada.

Found the problem

So, good news, I found the problem. It wasn't the driver, nor the dummy load, nor the batteries. It was my multimeter. Well actually the range I was using. I was setting the driver with the 200mV range by accident, wich meant that above 200mV, the multimeter mesure tips of the scale (the multimeter is digital). So, I found the problem, setted it to 250mA, enough for me, and reassembled my laser. Works great. It's brighter, and more powerful.

:lasergun:

Thanks for all of your support.

Rkcstr, your drivers still have clean reputation (well, by what I know).:bowdown:

And, one question, does your name actually mean something? Acronym?

;)

EDIT : please, can you tell me if you see my image, because I can't!:yabbmad:

rkcstr

Heh, guess that would do it.

First three letters of my SN are my intials (RKC), which kinda looks like "rock" without the vowel, then the last three complete the "rockstar", also excluding the vowel :)

And, I can see your image of the smiley blasting the other... is that the one you're asking about?