Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB Laser System in acrylic box

blrock

I finally got around this weekend to complete my laser system. Built a box out of clear acrylic. The 10mm thickness proved to be quite the challenge when shaping the holes!

It's 98% complete. Just waiting for the larger galvo mirrors to arrive. Should improve the red output.
Total powers: 1650mW green, 1100mW red, 1900mW blue.
Total output after optic loses and analog modulation: 2510mW.

Attachments

• DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,680
  • DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 2,103
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 879
  • DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,974
Last edited:

SLPbum

Very nice, Cant wait to see pics of the box while its running...
:gj:

Trevor

Great work!

The laser aperture warning is rather amusing when the whole box is transparent... :p

-Trevor

Benm

Hehe.. i think its really cool, a projector where you can see the guts during normal operations. I see you had to put some beamdumps to catch the leaks from the dichro's... probably good, otherwise you had 2 extra beams coming out of the front :D

Btw, doesn't it leak towards the ceiling? I've noticed that sometimes the galvo mirrors are a tad to small and a small about of the scan ends up as a line on the ceiling above the projector when the lid is off (or transparent in your case ;) ).

Last edited:
Lookin Good :D
Yes there will be some amount of beamage come off the top of the galvos and go to the ceiling.

blrock

Hehe.. i think its really cool, a projector where you can see the guts during normal operations. I see you had to put some beamdumps to catch the leaks from the dichro's... probably good, otherwise you had 2 extra beams coming out of the front :D

Btw, doesn't it leak towards the ceiling? I've noticed that sometimes the galvo mirrors are a tad to small and a small about of the scan ends up as a line on the ceiling above the projector when the lid is off (or transparent in your case ;) ).

Yes you right. But I have a small aluminium plate on top of the galvos to stop this. Funny, it's always a nice pink beam that hits the ceiling from the red/blue leak. Hopefully the bigger mirrors for the galvos will help solve this.

My previous builds were in a metal box. Everyone always asks,"whats inside". Thought this time it'll be a good idea to make it transparent.

Benm

I suppose bigger mirrors will help, but they probably slow the galvo's down, right?

I love the transparent construction, would nice to get some pics/videos of the unit in action. Downside would be that the risk of the beam getting out is pretty serious if something gets dislodged inside there, especially at these power levels. Guess that a matter of testing and not moving it before any demonstrations.

looks very pretty and all that but i have concerns regarding stray beams like out the otherside of dichros etc...

blrock

looks very pretty and all that but i have concerns regarding stray beams like out the otherside of dichros etc...

Yes, stray beams was a big concern. I took every precaution to make sure the only beam that exits the system is from the galvos.

As a licensed laser safety officer, I always comply with the regulations given to me by the Department of Health...no short cuts :)

Yes, stray beams was a big concern. I took every precaution to make sure the only beam that exits the system is from the galvos.

As a licensed laser safety officer, I always comply with the regulations given to me by the Department of Health...no short cuts :)

pwn3d.jpg

blrock

I suppose bigger mirrors will help, but they probably slow the galvo's down, right?

I love the transparent construction, would nice to get some pics/videos of the unit in action. Downside would be that the risk of the beam getting out is pretty serious if something gets dislodged inside there, especially at these power levels. Guess that a matter of testing and not moving it before any demonstrations.

Thanks...I will post pics/vids after the galvo upgrade. Already had some fun and programmed some Scooter music to the projector.

The bigger mirrors will definitely slow my galvos down...probably to about 30kPPS ?
However, over the many years I found that slightly slower beams with good bounce mirrors+mirror balls+diffration gratings is more effective than projecting fancy animations on a wall. The public seems to get bored with animations.
Air beams are much cooler! Well, the guys in South Afica think so :)

I would have REALLY been concerned a fews years ago about slower galvos.....not so much anymore

thats good to hear :)

Benm

I'd agree on the issue with the galvo's - its only of real concern when doing projections and animations. A bit of distortion in the output will hardly be visible on the average beamshow, and i suppose the benefit of lower losses easily outweigh a drop in scanning speed.