Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the LaserBee USB 2.5W LPM

Hi there.

This is a review of the LaserBee USB 2.5W LPM I recently purchased from J. Bauer Electronics.

Before ordering:

I was considering for a long time to buy a LPM, buy I didn't know which one to buy. I had an internal conflict between the Radiant Alpha and the LaserBee. At the begining I turned to the Alpha but it's almost always out of
stock. At that point I began to be interested with the LaserBee. I had many questions about it, all answered by Jerry promptly and always to the point. The facts that: I needed a LPM, the LaserBee is always in stock (while
the Alpha is rarely in stock), is has data logging and it's not much more expensive than the Alpha, tipped the scales.

Ordering:

Ordering is fast and easy. Just follow the istructions on the first page of the sales thread, and you are on.

30.4.11 I sent the money and immediately got confirmation that the money was accepted.
2.5.11 The LPM was shipped.
16.5.11 LPM received.

Shipping is without tracking since tracked shipping costs 66$... So I chose small parcel regular shipping. Shipping from Canada is rather expensive, not what you're used to from O-like 5-8$ tracked shipping.

Installing the LPM:

The package includes:-
1- LaserBee 2.5W USB unit
1- LaserBee 2.5W Thermopile
1- LaserBee 2.5W USB User Instructions CD

I copied the CD content to my Hard drive, since it's easier to install from there and I advise you all to do so.

Installation instructions are a bit confusing. First you have to install the LaserBee Interface Install software. That's easy. After you're done with it you have to install the USB drivers. There are two of them because the supplied cable might be one of two tipes, depends on what is in stock at the time. After that you reboot and there comes the confusing part. It says there:
"Plug the RS232 to USB converter cable into your computer’s USB port without your LaserBee attached to the Cable. Give your computer time to install all the drivers properly. DO NOT connect your LaserBee to the RS232
to USB cable yet.".

The problem is that the package doesn't contain any RS232 to USB converter cable and that's confusing. So I stopped installation and PMed Jerry. He replied:

"That is a generic Install PDF... Your RS232 to USB converter cable is the USB cable coming out of your LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM... Consider the converter already attached".

You would expect instructions to be clear and not misleading, and that's something to improve.

After that you have to manually Go to your Windows Device Manager under Ports (LPT and Com) and see which Com Port your computer assigned to the RS232 to USB converter cable. This is the Com Port number the LaserBee Interface software needs to use to Communicate with your LaserBee LPM and you have to configure it on the LPM OSD.

Using the LPM:
After you're done with installation, just plug in the LaserBee 2.5W USB unit to the assigned USB port in your computer. Plug in the LaserBee 2.5W Thermopile to the unit, run the LaserBee Interface and you're ready to do tests.

Besides data logging, the software has got many options, among them the option to zoon in to a certein point of your measurement and show its value, save and load log file, save log as a picture file (e.g.: jpg, bmp, png, etc.),
print log and many more.

After reading the LaserBee PC Data Logging Interface Software manual and practicing a little bit, it's very easy to use the LaserBee.

Finally I got to know the real output of my lasers.

Bottom line: This device is an excellent product, of a good quality, easy to use and its relatively cheap price makes it a must have for any laser hobbyist. Install notes need to be revised in order to be clearer.

Post purchase service:
I can report that post purchase service is excellent. Jerry replied to all my (stupid) questions promptly, with patience and readiness to help and always to the point.

Hi there.

This is a review of the LaserBee USB 2.5W LPM I recently purchased from J. Bauer Electronics.

Before ordering:

I was considering for a long time to buy a LPM, buy I didn't know which one to buy. I had an internal conflict between the Radiant Alpha and the LaserBee. At the begining I turned to the Alpha but it's almost always out of
stock. At that point I began to be interested with the LaserBee. I had many questions about it, all answered by Jerry promptly and always to the point. The facts that: I needed a LPM, the LaserBee is always in stock (while
the Alpha is rarely in stock), is has data logging and it's not much more expensive than the Alpha, tipped the scales.

Ordering:

Ordering is fast and easy. Just follow the istructions on the first page of the sales thread, and you are on.

30.4.11 I sent the money and immediately got confirmation that the money was accepted.
2.5.11 The LPM was shipped.
16.5.11 LPM received.

Shipping is without tracking since tracked shipping costs 66$... So I chose small parcel regular shipping. Shipping from Canada is rather expensive, not what you're used to from O-like 5-8$ tracked shipping.

Installing the LPM:

The package includes:-
1- LaserBee 2.5W USB unit
1- LaserBee 2.5W Thermopile
1- LaserBee 2.5W USB User Instructions CD

I copied the CD content to my Hard drive, since it's easier to install from there and I advise you all to do so.

Installation instructions are a bit confusing. First you have to install the LaserBee Interface Install software. That's easy. After you're done with it you have to install the USB drivers. There are two of them because the supplied cable might be one of two tipes, depends on what is in stock at the time. After that you reboot and there comes the confusing part. It says there:
"Plug the RS232 to USB converter cable into your computer’s USB port without your LaserBee attached to the Cable. Give your computer time to install all the drivers properly. DO NOT connect your LaserBee to the RS232
to USB cable yet.".

The problem is that the package doesn't contain any RS232 to USB converter cable and that's confusing. So I stopped installation and PMed Jerry. He replied:

"That is a generic Install PDF... Your RS232 to USB converter cable is the USB cable coming out of your LaserBee 2.5W USB LPM... Consider the converter already attached".

You would expect instructions to be clear and not misleading, and that's something to improve.

After that you have to manually Go to your Windows Device Manager under Ports (LPT and Com) and see which Com Port your computer assigned to the RS232 to USB converter cable. This is the Com Port number the LaserBee Interface software needs to use to Communicate with your LaserBee LPM and you have to configure it on the LPM OSD.

Using the LPM:
After you're done with installation, just plug in the LaserBee 2.5W USB unit to the assigned USB port in your computer. Plug in the LaserBee 2.5W Thermopile to the unit, run the LaserBee Interface and you're ready to do tests.

Besides data logging, the software has got many options, among them the option to zoon in to a certein point of your measurement and show its value, save and load log file, save log as a picture file (e.g.: jpg, bmp, png, etc.),
print log and many more.

After reading the LaserBee PC Data Logging Interface Software manual and practicing a little bit, it's very easy to use the LaserBee.

Finally I got to know the real output of my lasers.

Bottom line: This device is an excellent product, of a good quality, easy to use and its relatively cheap price makes it a must have for any laser hobbyist. Install notes need to be revised in order to be clearer.

Post purchase service:
I can report that post purchase service is excellent. Jerry replied to all my (stupid) questions promptly, with patience and readiness to help and always to the point.

Great honest review....:gj:

We have already modified the Installation Instructions since
we communicated... All new LaserBee 2.5W USB LPMs sold will
have the updated Installation info on the CD...

Jerry