Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Kaidomain RQ

Packaging/First Impressions

The shipping on this one was terrible. From the time I ordered it, to the day it arrived, was 17 days. It didn't even ship for the first 6 days, and for some reason stopped for another 2 while it was still in HK. The packaging was good though; in the standard yellow bubble envelope wrapped VERY tighly in more bubble wrap (there was so much it took me almost a minute to get it out). So I don't think there will be any problems with the packaging.

fullbody1.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

This light is apparently an exact clone (on the outside) of the Raidfire Spear, which is no longer made. I have read comments from several other people that own both lights, that confirm they were most likely made in the same same factory after the Spear was discontinued. The only differences being the reflector, driver, and switch.

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

IMG_7763.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

It feels sturdy; more than what you'd expect from a $30 budget light. There were no marks or defects in the coating or reflector when it arrived. The printing is sharp, but I think it might be a little crooked. If it is, it's extremely hard to see, and that's the only complaint I could think of after studying it for a while. The lanyard also looks cheap, but so far no problems.

Design/Feel

The design is really unique, and I like it a lot, though I'm not sure if the reflector actually works as a heatsink. Not that it needs it; the light barely gets warm after being on for long periods of time. The knurling is extremely fine, and totally useless IMO. I think it's just for looks, but there are plenty of other grooves in the design to help you hold it. Anti-roll is good, becuase of the tailcap shape it won't roll at all. Plus it can tailstand!

Preformance

Beam is ringy... probably the ringy-est beam I've ever seen in an LED light. This isn't really a problem as I only pay attention the the throw outside, and you can barely see it. It has decent flood, but this is nowhere near being a floodlight. I would actually prefer less spill and more throw, but it's a pretty good balence for a throw light and the beam still goes plenty far. The beam is also pretty cool, so if you're a tint freak it might bother you. In my opinion tint is useless in a throw light, because the only purpose of it is to light up a target brightly at a distance, not make it look nice.

Beamshots:

IMG_7717.jpg

From left to right: RQ, Aurora Ak-P7-5, Spiderfire P7

Aurora AK-P7-5 (2-mode):

LawnAurora.jpg

Spiderfire P7:

LawnSpider.jpg

Kai RQ:

LawnRQ.jpg

Aurora AK-P7-5 (2-mode):

RoadAurora.jpg

Spiderfire P7:

RoadSpider.jpg

Kai RQ:

RoadRQ.jpg

The UI is strange, but still simple. The light will come on in the mode it was turned off in, but only if it was in that mode for at least two seconds. So for example, if it's in high, and you want it to come on low next time, you would blink it once and then click all the way. If you wanted it on high next time, you would just turn it off.

Conclusion

Pros:

-Can Tailstand
-I like the UI better than the standard "high->low->off"
-Love the design!
-Feels good in my hand
-Stays cool
-Good runtime, and far-throwing beam

Cons:

-Ringy beam
-Threads are a little rough on the tailcap, though not bad

It's an amazing value for your money, and I'm pretty sure this is the best quality you're going to get in a thrower for less than $60. Definately recommended, but only as a thrower because this light is hard to use up close.

Benm

Looks pretty cool to me - very nice design, even if the reflector/heatsink thing is just for looks and doesnt actually work.

Too bad it has so little spill light though, doesnt seem like a practical light to get around, but very good for looking at things far away, or even as a signal light.

Looks pretty cool to me - very nice design, even if the reflector/heatsink thing is just for looks and doesnt actually work.

Too bad it has so little spill light though, doesnt seem like a practical light to get around, but very good for looking at things far away, or even as a signal light.

It definitely isn't an area light, and wasn't even intended to be. It's really only for throw, and I wouldn't even consider it for lighting up the area (but paired with a floody P7 it's awesome!). I'm thinking it would make a good "search & rescue" light. It's got a lot of throw, with just enough flood to see what's going on around the hotspot.