Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: 50mW o-like blue

diachi

50mW O-like Blue 473nm DPSS Review

Well to start my review I must say that the service from o-like was top notch! They planned to ship the unit the day after I ordered, but informed me that there was a scratch on the power supply. They changed the unit over for me and shipped the next day. I'm glad they done that, a lot of companies would keep you waiting for days or weeks before shipping, and not bother checking for scratches or defects. The whole thing came well packaged in polystyrene and bubble wrap, all the needed cables
( Modulation and power ) were included.

Now to the actual laser! The system as a whole is very compact and well built feeling. It looks very good too. The beam is of good quality, low divergence and is also nice and thin. The unit performs above it's rated specs at 65-70mW of 473nm output and after it's warm up is quite stable. I'll do some tests later on to confirm the actual divergence.

I so far have no complaints about this module, it's a very nice unit . I'd certainly recommend it ! Another good product Susie ;).

I'm going to give the unit a 24-48hour "burn in" to make sure all is well before shipping it off to Remux for him to use in his projector.

Pictures will come later, but they won't do the lovely blue colour and justice :D I'm also going to get some comparison pictures of 532nm, 473nm and 442nm ( If I can get my HeCd laser to work properly! ). I'll also do a test with it in my projector to see how the modulation holds up.

Hope you all enjoyed this somewhat short review, I will add to it later after some more testing and picture taking,

PICTURES !

30-07-09_1629.jpg

30-07-09_1630.jpg

30-07-09_1631.jpg

The heatsink you can see is just to make sure everything stays cool during the "burn in".

30-07-09_1632.jpg

Sorry for the strange angles and horrible quality. I will upload some high resolution pictures with no weird angles on them later when my sister returns home from work and finds the USB cable.

Regards,

Adam

Last edited:

I demand you let us use that review on the review thread :)

PICS, can't wait!

diachi

I said I can't wait!
It's gotta be now....NOW!

/crazy

Haha. Added some low res pictures that are taken from strange angles. They'll do for another 2 and a half hours when my sister comes home from work with the USB cable ! :eg:

Wow - look slike another great product from O-like! If you get a chance, please run a longer-term set of power tests (like at 5, 10, 15 min, etc) so we can determine the stability of these - I had the opportunity recently to play with a CNI 100mW 473nm that kicked up to 114mW within a few seconds but settled to around 60-70 after about 5 minutes (I believe that one had an issue with the wiring between the PS and head, not sure though) and would LOVE one (or two) of these for projector use providing they'll stand up to the beating they'd take at our shows!

diachi

Wow - look slike another great product from O-like! If you get a chance, please run a longer-term set of power tests (like at 5, 10, 15 min, etc) so we can determine the stability of these - I had the opportunity recently to play with a CNI 100mW 473nm that kicked up to 114mW within a few seconds but settled to around 60-70 after about 5 minutes (I believe that one had an issue with the wiring between the PS and head, not sure though) and would LOVE one (or two) of these for projector use providing they'll stand up to the beating they'd take at our shows!

I'm doing a 48 hour run :cool: :cool:

So far it seems pretty stable though! At warmup I could see the power fluctuations, but now after been run for 5 hours 35 minutes it's fluctuating by only 2mW or so.

Last edited:
I'm doing a 48 hour run

Are you crazy or what? :p

I wanted to know if it ran on TEM00 for the first 10 minutes....but 48 hours? That's 2880 minutes!!

Thanks for the pics :D:D

Blues are notorious for the "blue problem". This is power instability produced in the doubling crystal, and it appears as "static" in the beam. Usually it occurs at a frequency in the kHz range, so it won't show up on most time vs. power graphs as it really has no impact on long-term average power output. As the system warms up, usually the flicker becomes less and less noticeable. This problem can be easily seen when you modulate the laser in a scanner (looks like static in the beam trace), so I'd be curious how these units handle modulation in general. I don't know if you have a projector that you can easily swap lasers on, but if possible, after you complete a CW test, could you test its modulation stability?

If it does flicker slightly, it's not really an issue. CNI only guarantees <30% noise amplitude on their blue systems, so anything close to this would be good. If it flickers a lot, however, it could be a problem. DPSS lasers behave so much differently under modulation that a test of the modulation performance should be included in any DPSS review as long as the reviewer has the necessary equipment to do so.

remux

ADAM!!! i cant wait any more lol

the power is 70mW nice

it shuld be nice white in my scaner with 650nm@300mW & 532nm@50mw m i right?

thank you adam a 1000000 times

diachi

Blues are notorious for the "blue problem". This is power instability produced in the doubling crystal, and it appears as "static" in the beam. Usually it occurs at a frequency in the kHz range, so it won't show up on most time vs. power graphs as it really has no impact on long-term average power output. As the system warms up, usually the flicker becomes less and less noticeable. This problem can be easily seen when you modulate the laser in a scanner (looks like static in the beam trace), so I'd be curious how these units handle modulation in general. I don't know if you have a projector that you can easily swap lasers on, but if possible, after you complete a CW test, could you test its modulation stability?

If it does flicker slightly, it's not really an issue. CNI only guarantees <30% noise amplitude on their blue systems, so anything close to this would be good. If it flickers a lot, however, it could be a problem. DPSS lasers behave so much differently under modulation that a test of the modulation performance should be included in any DPSS review as long as the reviewer has the necessary equipment to do so.

I'll be testing the modulation later on, there should be enough space in front of my green for it. Most DPSS lasers suffer some form of blanking issue, the only way to get around this is to use an AOM or some sort of feedback system which monitors the output and corrects it to fit the modulation signal. With the increasing availability of blue diode lasers, and soon hopefully green diode lasers we will have much improved modulation in our green and blue laser systems.

I tested the divergence and it meets the specs of 0.8mRad, very nice.

Regards,

Adam

diachi

ADAM!!! i cant wait any more lol

the power is 70mW nice

it shuld be nice white in my scaner with 650nm@300mW & 532nm@50mw m i right?

thank you adam a 1000000 times

Hello Danny,

Yes it should be good, there's a little too much green, But it will work nicely :D. You're very welcome too, sorry it took so long to get everything sorted. I hope you'll be happy with this.

Regards,

Adam

I don't know if 50mW is necessarily too much green.. In my RGB I have ~300mW of 650, ~100mW of 532 and ~80mW of 473. The white balance is only VERY slightly on the green-heavy side. I'd say a mix of 300mW 650, 50mW 532 and 50mW 473 would be fairly decent, since it appears he's using combined single-mode diodes for the red. One of the issues I have with my system is that the red is multi-mode, and the beam diameter is bigger than the galvo mirrors. Due to this, I lose almost 1/3 of the red's power. Since he won't have that issue, the mix should be about perfect, and maybe even a tad red-heavy (not really possible if you ask me, though, since red is typically mW for mW much harder to see than blue or green). Regardless, the balance can be fine-tuned using your software..

remux

thanks adam i'm allready HAPY =]

EF vath is multi mod red explain please

you can see on my avatar is two reds 150mW each

how is you one working?

diachi

thanks adam i'm allready HAPY =]

EF vath is multi mod red explain please

you can see on my avatar is two reds 150mW each

how is you one working?

By multi-mode he means that his setup is using one laser diode with several emitters, which gives a large square spot with several more intense spots inside that area. This gives a large beam with bad divergence. Your setup uses two single mode diodes combined to give a small dot with good divergence and okay beam quality.