Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: 5 Watt LE LaserBee

Hello, this is my first attempt at a review, so bear with me... thanks!

I'll add photos/videos later, check back later for updates.

I ordered a 5 Watt Laserbee from Ebay on April 27th, 2013, for $585 total. It was shipped on April 30th from Canada and arrived at my mailbox in Illinois, USA on May 3rd, 2013. Very fast shipping, and the packaging was very neat and secure. It was in a plain white box with tape around it, inside was a warning to first read the instructions, and each component of the LPM was individually wrapped in foam or plastic wrap and surrounded by packing peanuts. No damages could be seen from shipping, and the packaging was very good so I doubt any bumps would do anything to the packaging. Jerry was prompt to answer my questions, overall excellent service, 10/10.

The unit itself is rather simple: a power cord, the unit, a cord to connect the OPHIR thermopile to the unit, a CD with user instructions and EagleEye software, and a cord+converter to output the data onto a computer. Very simple to put together, simple to use, and the instructions are also clear. The 0.8 second response time is amazing! :drool: The unit has a manual zeroing function, and the OPHIR thermopile takes only a minute or two to acclimate and stabilize to room temperature. The unit uses a brilliant blue 4.5 digit display, a very nice blue (although 445nm laser goggles make it a tad hard to see, nothing terrible but not too clear). The unit is very lightweight and does NOT have a compartment for a battery, unlike the older models. 10/10 on construction and ease of use.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase. It is a great LPM, feels solid and very high quality, and uses an OPHIR thermopile rated at 4W free-standing. The only complaint is the rather hefty price tag... $585 :whistle: so I give it a 9.5/10. But all in all, a very good product, I highly recommend it! Thanks Jerry!

Great review and thanks for sharing it. Being new to the hobby, I'm comparison shopping some LPMs now and leaning more and more toward the LaserBee products after reading so many positive comments here on the forum. In fact, I was just looking at the 3.2W LBII Deluxe a few minutes before reading your review of the 5W. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience for the rest of us to learn.

Cheers!
-Clayton

norbyx

Thanks for the review. I have to say that owning a laserbeeII and knowing the product I believe you when you say that it's a good product and it performs very well...
I just wish that mine could read a tad over 3.2W since I am looking to purchase a 3.5W laser, and I can't afford to spend over $500 on a LPM...
anyway congrats on your new purchase, and now it's time to start testing all your lasers ...(that's what I did as soon as I got it)...

Hello norbyx,

Haha that's exactly what I did, first thing was just to test all of my lasers :p my predictions were spot on for almost all of them, which is nice, although I was pleasantly surprised on a couple :p and being WL products, I'll say I'm decently satisfied lol

norbyx

How much are your kripton 1W giving out? I have a 750mw and it is giving a tad less than 1W, I have been told that the laser should be the same only that they marked the 1W on the overspecs....

Nice review of your New 5W LaserBee with manual zeroing...:gj:

Jerry

Norbyx,

I am charging the SANYO's the full charge before I test them officially, since they were at 1 LED lit when I metered them briefly. I got ~650mW on one and ~700mW on the other, but they quickly started to drop as both the batteries died and the units warmed up, so idk... we will see :p I'm hoping they are at least decently up to spec.

Jerry,

Thanks! This is a great product from a great seller! :thanks: :bowdown:

Nice detailed review...:gj:

laserbee's product is a very solid for sure.

Like I said, it is perfect except price:)

Last edited:

norbyx

Norbyx,

I am charging the SANYO's the full charge before I test them officially, since they were at 1 LED lit when I metered them briefly. I got ~650mW on one and ~700mW on the other, but they quickly started to drop as both the batteries died and the units warmed up, so idk... we will see :p I'm hoping they are at least decently up to spec.

Jerry,

Thanks! This is a great product from a great seller! :thanks: :bowdown:

Yeah this lasers are battery hungry, I have noticed that. I need to purchase some panasonic to see if I can use the laser for at least 5 min. since it just shuts off for battery error after a couple minutes.
Mine did quite well on the charts even though as any green laser the curve in time seams like a roller coaster.
Here is my chart.

Norbyx,

My batteries last about an hour from full charge to cut-off. My lasers also seem to be pretty "stable" at 700mW... hmm

tonyt

I just wish that mine could read a tad over 3.2W since I am looking to purchase a 3.5W laser,

That is the exact reason why i bought a 3.7W USB instead of anything else.. I couldn't quite justify spending $600 on a LPM but $300 i could.

gismo

That is the exact reason why i bought a 3.7W USB instead of anything else.. I couldn't quite justify spending $600 on a LPM but $300 i could.

I think you'll be quite happy with it;)

Almost nothing compares to the excitement when you're measuring the power output of the lasers you own yourself for the first time...perhaps it's reception of a new piece into your collection, which surpasses the joy of taking LPM readings.

But, ultimately, the brightest satisfaction comes when you do your first laser build and if happy with the outcome, more will follow;) Something I personally will never experience, since I lack the patience and dedication.

I (as a consumer/customer) can just observe and admire the work of the true builders on lpf.com:D

IsaacT

Yeah, price tag was why I bought my 10W Scientech LPM from Daguin for just 342 dollars shipped. The more I hear about others' purchases, the more i realize how much of a steal that was! Ranges of 0-20mW, 0-200mW, 0-2W, and 0-20W.

Good review, hope you continue to enjoy your LPM.