Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Review] 30mW Black/Gold Pen from Lightake

First off, the link.
30mW Green Laser Pen Laser Pointer PB-3032 (authentic)

Pictures:
2010-11-19215125.jpg

2010-11-19215109.jpg

2010-11-19215209.jpg

Note: If you're wondering about the strange lighting, they were taken in my room with the lights off, but my monitor was on and the lights in adjacent rooms were on. Oh, and my camera's flash was on. It gives you an idea, anyway, which was the point. :D

Packaging:
8/10
The package came in the standard padded envelope that we all know and love - with one difference. Rather than using the standard cardboard "gift" boxes, this laser came in a much sturdier gift box that is either a much thicker cardboard or a plastic (I'm no material science guy :( ). To see what I mean, check the picture above. Personally, I love this little case, and it did/does VERY well at keeping my laser safe.

Price:
9/10
Exactly what you would expect from one of the drop shipping Chinese companies. That's not to say they are exclusively drop shippers, but they do offer it as a services. That's for a different time though, the price was great. ~$24 for this 30mW laser was good for me, and they have a 50mW one in the same host for $34 so it at least ties with o-like and rayfoss for pricing. Oh, and standard shipping is free. Very pleasing.

Performance:
8/10
Eight of ten is a great score, and here's why that's what I rated it. The laser certainly seems up-to-spec, though I don't have a meter to test it, however the difference between it and my 50mW o-like pen is hardly noticeable. As far as power goes, it does well. Now, I did have one issue with the laser - the focus seems to be a bit off. Since it is not adjustable, it is essential that the laser be focused to infinity properly but that does not seem to be the case. It isn't dramatically off, just enough to make it an annoyance. I assume you could fix it if you had the tools, however the module is press-fit into the host, so... It's not a huge deal, but it is noticeable. On a positive note, the beam seems to come out of the aperture almost perfectly. There's no slant or angle to speak of.

Overall:
8/10
Despite the lack of a few potential improvements, this company has done very well to satisfy me with this particular laser. It seems up to spec, it came exactly as advertised, and my only real qualm is that the focus is a tiny bit off making the divergence worse than what it could be. Still, it's not too dramatic, and if you have the tools you can fix it yourself. Oh, and it came with batteries.

Note:
If you order from Lightake and live in the US, I suggest you ask them to mark the package as a "Gift." You may also want to take other steps to keep it from being confiscated, such as asking it be shipped without batteries or a power sticker however they may not be able to oblige you on these requests. Lightake does not claim responsibility if your laser is seized.

Last edited: