Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review $30 red+blu-ray goggles from Dragon Lasers

Zom-B

LSG04.jpg

I bought these goggles from Dragon Lasers that claims to block light in both the Red and UV spectrum, and at $29.99, what's the worst that could happen?

The goggles are designated only as "Red laser beam protection 640-750nm – Laser Eyewear" with part number "LSG04". (link)

The description includes OD ratings, but sadly no graph. The claimed OD ratings are "OD>2.5 for 190-420nm, OD>3 for 640-750nm"

It also does not seem to be certified in any way, hence the cheapness.

At the payment page, my only options to pay were credit cards, which I don't have, but after an email I got a very quick response that I could pay via paypal.

It was delivered within a dust protecting pouch with cords and it included a lens cloth too.

When wearing, it turns the surroundings into an ugly (IMO) shade of yellowish green.

When burning things with the violet laser, some materials fluoresce, so it might get a little bright. It's still far less bright than with no goggles at all. Sometimes I can even see the spot completely disappearing, when the material turns to charcoal locally and most light is absorbed. Without goggles, this normally just looks like the spot lowering in intensity, but still being bright.

These are my first test results:

• A 54mW violet laser (407nm +-5nm): Less than 0.2mw after the goggles. OD rating verified.
  • A 180mW red laser (658nm +-10nm): Less than 0.1mW after the goggles, and I could see by the spot that the glass was slightly deforming by the absorbed heat (it turned back to it's original shape after removing the laser, and did not do damage.) OD rating verified.

Conclusion:
For all you fanatic burners out there, this is THE goggles to get.

Re: Review $30 red+blu-ray goggles from Dragon Las

WOW thank you ;) I think im gonna buy them now that I know they are good, thanks. (still dont have any :-X)

Great find! :D

I am going to buy them. Many thanks for taking the plunge and making a review

If anyone wants me to reference their ID for points or whatever, let me know. ;)

Thanks so much! I was really wondering whether these were reliable or not!

-Mark

Zom-B

BEFORE YOU ALL START BUYING here's another test result

I noticed that the glasses fluoresce quite a bit when hit with ultra-violet light. For one this causes the spot to always appear white-pink-greenish even when it reflects off totally non-fluorescent material. The other effect is that actually more light enters the eye when the laser hits the glasses (under any angle) than previously believed.

When shining my newly built 166mW violet laser into the sensor from 3 feet away, and I hold the glasses in front of the laser, I can't see a spot on the sensor no matter how hard I try. It seems like it's even absorbing more 405nm than red, by several magnitudes. When I hold my hand in front of the glasses, I can see a diffuse spot that quickly gets diffuser with distance.

When I hold the glasses directly in front of the sensor (like when wearing the glasses, it's closer to your eye than the laser too) the meter reads just about 2.0mW. This would give it an effective OD of 1.9!!

(2mW is still safe though, just like Class 3A lasers are <5mW. Just don't build a violet laser above 415mW)

Switch

Yes but that's due to the fluorescence.More light hits the eye, but it's not focused laser light so it won't cause that much damage to the retina.Furthermore, it's not proportional to the laser's power.Material can only fluoresce so much.And somehow I doubt that those thin glasses are gonna fluoresce more than twice as bright under a 415mW violet laser. :-/

You could test lasers of different power with your method (glasses on the sensor) to test my point. :p

For blu-ray, I think I'm just going to stick with the 405nm specific goggles GB. It wasn't out yet when I made my above post, but the price difference for two pairs will only be $10, which is absolutely much less than my eyes are worth.

-Mark