Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Resolved) - Proceed with Caution

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Sci-Fi Lasers has refunded the shipping charge and will be sending me a new host. Also, according to Sci-Fi Lasers, the laser leakage is normal for this particular diode (520) and there is no way around it. I don't know enough about lasers to dispute this so I will take his word for it.

================================================

I purchased a laser from this Sci-Fi Lasers after seeing a paid ad banner on the forums and after reading posts by others urging anyone interested in purchasing a laser to do so from a site sponsor.

Unfortunately, my experience with Sci-Fi lasers has been nothing but a headache. First of all, I placed my order and paid $55 for shipping while under the impression it would arrive sooner (according to his site, it was 3-5 days). However, after placing the order I was told it would take about two weeks. After several emails, the guy at Sci-Fi (I forget his name atm, sorry) said he could have the laser in my hands in seven days. That never happened. It took over two weeks. He also said he would refund the $55 charge for shipping about two weeks ago, but he has not. He keeps "forgetting" according to several emails.

To make matters worse, he charged me $400 for a laser that's of worse quality than a $30 eBay purchase I made last year. The housing is very loose and the focusing mechanism wiggles which moves the beam considerably during use. There is an unacceptable amount of light leakage as well.

I'm still waiting on the shipping refund, but I'm not holding my breathe. If you're looking for a quality laser at a fair price with minimal hassle, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

I purchased a laser from this Sci-Fi Lasers after seeing a paid ad banner on the forums and after reading posts by others urging anyone interested in purchasing a laser to do so from a site sponsor.

Unfortunately, my experience with Sci-Fi lasers has been nothing but a headache. First of all, I placed my order and paid $55 for shipping while under the impression it would arrive sooner (according to his site, it was 3-5 days). However, after placing the order I was told it would take about two weeks. After several emails, the guy at Sci-Fi (I forget his name atm, sorry) said he could have the laser in my hands in seven days. That never happened. It took over two weeks. He also said he would refund the $55 charge for shipping about two weeks ago, but he has not. He keeps "forgetting" according to several emails.

To make matters worse, he charged me $400 for a laser that's of worse quality than a $30 eBay purchase I made last year. The housing is very loose and the focusing mechanism wiggles which moves the beam considerably during use. There is an unacceptable amount of light leakage as well.

I'm still waiting on the shipping refund, but I'm not holding my breathe. If you're looking for a quality laser at a fair price with minimal hassle, look elsewhere.
Sorry to hear that but survival laser has very good reputation. Eitan is really busy so it's no surprise that he forgot about the refund. As for the laser, have you contacted him about it? I'm pretty sure he would give you a reasonable reply

This is not true. Laser is working very well. This is a 1W 520nm and your paid for 500mW only. I gave you 500mW extra for free. And I got a LPM check to prove it. You got it by email too.

Second , I was not at home. And still not. Going to refund you now. For the $55.

Your $30 laser is not a true 300mW like you said on the email. There is no $30 300mW greenie.

And on the email you never said there was a problem.

Beam divergance is nit so good like 532nm lasers. These are multi mode diodes.

I do everything for my customers. And I always there to help. All you said is about thr refund. And I am doing it right now.

If you need a new host I can send one for free.

Update : sent you $60 back. If you need any help let me know. All you said is abouf the refund and the beam ehich is normal. New host can be sent for free.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
This sounds like pretty good customer service to me! :)

$400 for 1W of 520nm is not a lot, even if it's the 700mW diode being used, it's $300+ for the diode/driver alone at DTR's store.

Hope you guys work this out; from everything I've seen, Eitan has tried to make his customers happy.

Last edited:
This sounds like pretty good customer service to me! :)

$400 for 1W of 520nm is not a lot, even if it's the 700mW diode being used, it's $300+ for the diode/driver alone at DTR's store.

Hope you guys work this out; from everything I've seen, Eitan has tried to make his customers happy.

He paid exactly $369 which he got $60 back. So $309.

I refunded him. And told him by email if he needs anything just email me.

First post, same day signup, no signature, no introduction, no location. What an awesome way to start.

Thanks Eitan. I didn't want to leave negative feedback, obviously, since I've kept it to emails for two weeks now. Unfortunately, this is what it took. I'm sure you are a busy person, but so am I, and it doesn't excuse me from my obligations. Eitan just refunded the shipping charge and promised to send me a new host. Thanks for making good.

As for introductions, didn't have the time and still don't really. Simply needed to tie up a loose end and in the process do what I felt at the time was a service to prospective customers.

I'm a 31yo Air Force vet from Louisiana. I don't have a background in electronics or lasers, but I enjoy them. I currently remodel/renovate commercial and residential properties. In the fall I'll be attending school to complete a degree in forestry with a focus on recreational and commercial management. I'll post this info in the intro forum if there is one when I get home from work.

APEX1

this is what I mean joker, when you have people buying lasers that no nothing about them, who calls splash leakage?????????

Wow, sorry to hear that it has been such a problem dealing with Sci-Fi lasers :(

what makes you say that??? Actually I'll answer it for you lol I'll try my best not to make this sound mean or hurtful, I'm guessing these "problems" really aren't there. My best guess is that "someone" or many someone's doesn't no anything about lasers or this laser to start with. There are ways to tell if someone has a clue or in better words knowledge in the hobby. Just by looking at how they word the so called ISSUE they are having with the "laser". I have never once seen or heard of a bad thing said about SciFi's builds. Secondly, the deals alone he offer's is reason to buy alone on that. The quality on joker's builds are amazing considering the amount of time and craftsmanship he puts into all his lasers. Not to mention how much more it would be if you were to go buy a 1W 520 anywhere else. I only say all this because it's sad to see a new member make a bad review on something that does not deserve the bad review in the first place and it being the very first post that new member makes. Also with no info on the member what so ever. Be grateful Thejoker is a very caring and awesome guy to deal with because in my personal opinion it just sounds like you don't no what you really have and how lucky you are to have gotten such a deal on this.
MERICA..

Last edited:
Noobphaser - thanks for your contributions to the conversation. Pretty sure I admitted I'm not an expert on lasers, but I do know enough about lasers to know what I got is inferior to my previous purchase. You can call it splash, leakage or AIDs, as long as you know what I'm referring to, and it sounds like you do. I'll take SciFis word for it and chalk it up to product design and let it go at that. I thought it was due to the shaky focus mechanism that rattles around on the tip of the laser.

The focus mechanism wobbles, a lot, and the area immediately around my position (within 10ft) is flooded with green light, despite the fact I've focused the laser beam on an object 100yds away. If it's a diode issue, then I'll know not to order one in the future until the issue's fixed.

Thanks again for making good Eitan. I look forward to receiving the new host.

Edit: Also, while I do appreciate the upgrade to 1W, it's not what I ordered. I would have been happier with the 300mW and a solid host. I kinda felt you upgraded it once I mentioned I visited these forums and to make up for the price difference and the two week delay in shipping. I appreciate it nonetheless.

Last edited:
Could the "light leakage" be light coming of the beam of the diode? 1W for pure 520nm is a heck of a lot of light, and it needs to go somewhere.

He seems to have great customer service in that he responds fast, but when I email him asking a few questions, he only replies with one thing. For example he offered to send the manual, which I said okay to. Then it was never sent (emailed). I asked a few days later for the power graph, manual, and tracking number if possible. He just sent an image of the lpm test last night.

I think he has good products from what I have heard, and cheap prices, but I think he could be a little more on top of answering emails fully.

Besides, it's been 40 days since I ordered and nothing has arrived. I ordered on Friday, May 15th with standard $10 shipping and an $85 laser. The shipping is worse than lasers I've bought from China!

Good company for the most part, just could work on a few things.

And fyi, I'll be opening a claim with Visa soon, before the 60 day period is up, just in case it never arrives.

Please update us once you get the replacement host. I would like to hear if you are satisfied with your replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.