Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Research/goggles?

Ok so I have been doing some research on the cheapest 445nm goggles. I was preferably looking for OD3, but wouldn't mind going OD4, just it's going to be difficult to see a 1.6 watt beam I would think.

So I have been thinking o-like goggles are usually cheap goggles
but theres one pair that seem decent pair that other sellers have also
http://www.aliexpress.comlaser-safety-eyewear-200-540nm-.html

These have an OD rating of 4 across the spectrum from 200-2000
But as some goggle have had wrong ratings and also melt.. (FP Goggles)

I know you get what you pay for and that most would suggest a pair of NoIR goggles like the ARG glasses

NoIR LaserShields: Laser safety goggles for Argon and KTP lasers and applications.

But those are OD7 and the beam would be invisible with them on. NoIR has an OD 2 pair of goggles but I'm not sure that would be enough sa it would let through a bit of light.

Maybe the YHD would do good looking at the graphs
NoIR LaserShields: Laser safety goggles for all lasers and applications.

but these are looking expensive, (although no amount of money is worth more than your vision)

So dose any one have any experience with the O-like goggles that this page has a couple different types of
Laser Safety Glasses - Wholesale products with online transaction

So has any one herd anything good about the O-like or aliexpress goggles? or am I stuck in the red saving for a pair of NoIR goggles..

If you're looked for OD3-level protection from blue light, I might suggest the AL3 filter, available from Noir or, my preference, OEM Laser Systems (the proprietor of which can sometimes be found lurking these parts, his name if FrothyChimp).

The AL2 and AL3 are listed together on Noir's site, I think, the difference between them being that the AL2 is OD2 for 395-540nm light, while the AL3 is OD3 for that same range.

OEM Laser Systems is definitely a good place to shop for laser glasses, and the cost of goggles is worth it. I mean really, you're going to pay hundreds for the laser, but you're willing to cheap out on the goggles? Your fun is more important to you than your eyes? Just put the cost of the goggles in the equation for being the laser, it's just the cost of doing business.

Better to bite the bullet and get quality stuff than to be sorry later. The risk is very high (literally your vision) and the reward is what, $50 maybe? When you're already paying hundreds for lasers, just get the good goggles.

And that's not to even get into the argument of your use of a 1.6W laser, when your goal is just to see the beam.

No actually I spend my hundreds on astronomy, it's my passion. Shining a 1.6 watt laser in the sky is not that bad with the naked eye. But I'm worried of mistakes, no matter how stable you think you are pointing around with something, when you least expect it, some one comes up to see what you're doing, hits your arm from behind and you end up throwing your telescope in a different direction hitting, say a very reflective reflective road sign. Most have a place alone to do this stuff, me, I have to take the whole crew as I have to drive to the mountains to get any good viewing in San Diego with all the city lights.

Not to mention it would be fun to finally burn some stuff with my lasers though with a good pair of goggles :D
So I was trying to see if I could save a few bucks X 4, if there was a chance there was some lower priced but good quality glasses. Guess I'm just gonna get that same answer from every one as it is very true ;)
Thanks for the reply pbd.

While I'm happy that you're concerned about your own eyes' safety, it is selfish, and more importantly, irresponsible to not also be concerned for and provide for the safety of those around you in the presence of a high powered laser. It's not just your eyes out there; the same hazards you're concerned about are of equal concern to anyone around you.

Furthermore, you're putting others in additional risk by obscuring your vision with goggles that have extremely low VLT (19%) like the AL3s, all while holding and using an extremely dangerous laser. You might as well just blindfold yourself if you're going to wear those goggles at night; you certainly won't be able to to see where the beam goes, or practically anything in an astronomy setting, which makes you a huge hazard.

Don't even bring your 445nm laser at all if you can't provide a very secure setting, one that even you will be safe without goggles on. If you want to do star pointing, get a lower powered green laser, which will have an equally bright beam.

On another note, if you're going to buy goggles for everyone, you should get YLW goggles from OEM or some equivalent. They have a high OD for 445nm at around 6-7, but also a very high VLT (73%) which makes it easier to see. You won't see any beam with any goggles on anyway, but you can easily see the dot with those goggles on even being ~OD6 for 445nm.

Last edited:
So I was trying to see if I could save a few bucks X 4

Key part of sentence X 4!

Also as I mentioned I have little experience with goggles.
I was preferably looking for OD3, but wouldn't mind going OD4, just it's going to be difficult to see a 1.6 watt beam I would think.
Key Words, "I would think" :D

The only person who would be unprotected would be me. As I am the only one who needs to see the beam. It's attached to my telescope.. If you have ever tried to aim a mirror telescope that has nothing like GPS star finder crap like most the store bought telescopes have. You would understand how frustrating it is to move a half inch.. look, move a half inch.. look, until you find the area you want, then have to aim while viewing. Much easier.

But thanks for the reply and link any ways Badger.

Also yes, I was planning on buying from OEM after further research and getting something similar.

Last edited: