Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rescuing IMR10440?

Hey everyone -

A while back I bought two IMR10440s. They can handle ridiculously high discharge rates. All fine and dandy. However, I realized that one of them managed to drop to 1.6V or so, which I know is far below the safe operating voltage of li-ions.

However, I read somewhere that I could rescue li-ions? It wasn't a cheap battery, and may as well save it if I can, so what's the method? Trickle-charge until ~3.3V or something? I can't seem to find where I read about rescuing them.

Blord

Some chargers have a recycle mode. They can revive a death battery. Basically the battery is going to discharge and recharge several times. You can do it manually by discharge it with a load and recharge it again for a few cycles. Hopefully the battery will come to live or else it is going to the recycle box.

So how would I do this manually? Trickle charge it till it's at like 3.3V, then discharge down to 3V, then rinse and repeat?

I've never had to do it myself but trickle charging works on normal Li-ion (LiCo) at least.
Haven't read if it works on IMR LiMn but it worth a shot. On LiCo you have to bypass the protection PCB if it has one.

Last edited:
Alright. Well then! When I get back to my dorm I'll try it out. But if it explodes, its YOUR FAULT! XD

No, no, no, no,no no,no... I disavow all responsibility for any fire, explosion, destruction, maiming, disfigurement, coma, death & annoyance if it doesn't work. :D
I would trickle charge them Very slow anyway. Inside a Lipo firesafe bag. In a metal box. Buried a foot underground. Seriously, everyone should have at least a cheap Lipo bag.

Where are your IMR10440 from? BestInOne sells inexpensive ones that test very well.

Last edited:
I was kidding Bluefan :p

But mine are from AvidVaper - they are the only source I could find for cheapish IMR 10440s. And how slowly? And will there be any precursors like heating up or something if they are about to go critical (haha)?

Fiddy

guessing your charger doesn't recognize them that low?

Ive resurrected highly discharged Lithium cells by bringing them up to voltage on a Variable Power Supply on like 0.1C

Keep an eye on them temperature wise!

Hope they live.

Fiddy.

I didn't want to risk shovin' em in my charger. So I will try charging them today ^_^

Last edited:
So good news! I started trickle-charging this battery, and I think I rescued it! I trickled it at about 10-15mA of current inward and now it's sitting at 2.8V (I had to go to class, and didn't want to leave it unattended). Now I just need to finish trickling it and then draining it and repeat!