Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Request: Auto Save

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you have experienced losing what you have been writing due to an user error (pressing backspace while the cursor is clicked on the background, not the textbox or accidentally closing the browser) or technical error (browser crashing). This gets especially frustrating when you've been working on a post for the past ten minutes, and everything disappears with a poof. :gun:

I noticed that CPFMarketplace.com has an auto save feature that saves every 10 seconds or so to prevent data loss, and I would love to see that in this forum as well.

Thanks mods and Avery for your hard work.

Long live LPF!

Cheers :beer:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Good idea. I too have lost posts due to that. Now days I usually copy all my work regularly if it is a really long post. I'd definitely like to see this implemented. :D

Last edited:
Good idea. I too have lost posts due to that. Now days I usually copy all my work regularly if it is a really long post. I'd definitely like to see this implemented. :D

Thanks! I don't think this is a hard thing to implement.

It will definitely save us time and frustration.

Cheers! :beer:

I think this is a great idea. I know the frustration of loosing a post or two. :banghead:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
unfortunately there is no built-in feature in vbulletin to do this

i would advise copying and pasting your post every now and then.

using control-a, control-c is the fastest method

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter

i would advise copying and pasting your post every now and then.

using control-a, control-c is the fastest method

That's what I usually do. Certainly with a long post like a review. Once I lost a review due to a browser crash, so now I always copy and paste to word or notepad anything of any length.

Blord

That's what I usually do. Certainly with a long post like a review. Once I lost a review due to a browser crash, so now I always copy and paste to word or notepad anything of any length.

It works only if your computer don't crash. Luckily Word has a build-in auto save feature.

Hmm... I think VB does have this feature, it's just not enabled. :thinking:

The most recent version of vbulletin has an Auto save feature - you will see Auto Save popping up periodically in the lower right hand corner of your screen. If you should lose your data, go back to the page you were on and hit Reply to Thread. At the lower left hand corner of the dialog box, it will say Restore Auto Save. Click on the message.

from here:

Lost your post? We now have Auto Save!!!!!!

By no means am I a computer expert, but I have seen the autosave feature in many other forums, such as in CPFmarketplace.com.

For longer posts, or threads, I usually end up typing them in notepad. Ctrl+a, ctrl+c is also a must though.

Autosave feature can be kind of annoying too though.

The auto save is featured on vB 4.X, This forum is still running on vB 3.X.

Whoops, didn't know that. :thanks:

I automatically assumed that it was running on the latest version of vBulletin.

Trevor

Fortunately, with all the donations, upgrading shouldn't be an issue. :D

Trevor