Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reputation System Discussion and Poll

What should be done with the reputation system?

• Keep the new system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

I have been trying to give REP+ to members where and when it is deserved and it just is not allowed since the ruckus several weeks ago.
I have had to resort to just giving out REP+ when and where ever I can so that I don't keep getting that darn pop up window stating that I have to REP+ elsewhere before I can REP+ the member who truly deserves it.

We allowed ourselves to be sheepled folks whether you want to face it or not. Shame on us :(

Think about it, please THINK about it!! Take a minute or two to let the current situation sink in. Several members had an ongoing issue and now ALL of us are paying the price. We members beat our chests about religion, guns, politics, and so forth but something as simple as REP+ suckered all of us.
There are enough eyes here to watch and report abuse. Then action should be taken on just those members.

Therefore, I humbly ask the Mods/Admins to please let the REP+ rules go back to the way they were and take strict action on members who are abusing the system.

Following added by Ears and Eggs

PLEASE READ FIRST:

We have had many very good suggesting about how to change the rep system, but there is a limit to what is possible within the vBulliten interface, please read the below chart before posting to make sure your idea is possible.

Capture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Spreading the love .... NOT!!!!!

Agree, the abuses of the system in the past were less trouble than the tight restrictions we now have. This has effectively stopped the rep system all together.... If we are going to have one, make it work.

Personally, I've been miffed more than a few times over this rep system giving the ability to neg people over sillyness.. Once I posted to a sticky thread which was right at the top of the list in a sectiopn and received a couple of negs for "necro posting"! Necro-posting to a thread the admins made a sticky for so it would be right on top of the list of posts in that section? Ridiculous. That and if you are adding a meaningful post to an old thread, or seeking more information on the same subject, I don't see the posts as being necro, it's better than starting another thread on the same subject.

My thoughts are we should only be able to give plus reps and let that speak for itself. However, there must be some wisdom to the system, or it wouldn't exist. As it is, it might as well not exist because you must rep 40 times before you can rep the same individual again. I'm wondering if the admins changed the settings to no more than 5 reps a day and 40 between being able to re-rep due to a member who had been abusing the system in order to neg the same person over and over again... What he was doing was repping old inactive member accounts to use up the 20 reps he had to use (10 a day limit then) so he could neg the same guy every two days. That's what I think this change is for, to stop him from doing that, or others.

Why would that member give positive to a bunch of old threads from inactive members? Because, he didn't want to give active members any kudo's he thought they didn't deserve, while at the same time giving negs to those he disliked by abusing the system. A bunch of poop.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

I've got to agree with you 100% on this, it seems like it's been damned near impossible to rep anybody in the last few weeks.
While the system wasn't perfect, it seemed to work well for the most part.
Btw, I like that term "sheeple", we use it all the time here where I work. :)

@Alaskan - I was wondering what the number had changed to, wow, 40 is too many; for people who don't rep all the time, that's forever.

Last edited:

Soooooo, if that person would only positive rep inactive accounts so that they then could only attack with negative reps that is pure abuse of the system.
Simple logic would dictate that member does not need any reps and the Mods/Admins should strip that member of their rep right down to zero. Or at the least disable their ability to hand out negative reps.

GSS

Lets just hope it gets back to the way it was. It was a good good thing that it was exposed and Kudos to those that had the courage and a whole thread of members feelings was opened. People apologized some didnt and yes it was sad that one got banned for not letting go of his feelings. Its done and over "for now hopefully". No reason for anymore bans or what not unless someone wants to open up old wounds. I believe the mods will restore the way it was.....because there are some great posts out there that cant get justice.

Last edited:

OVNI

Hey folks, I have been trying to give REP+ to members where and when it is deserved and it just is not allowed since the ruckus several weeks ago.

And I thought it was just me :undecided: :thinking:

I'm with LC :thanks:

Then maybe I can give her +rep :beer:

Personally, I've been miffed more than a few times over this rep system giving the ability to neg people over sillyness.. Once I posted to a sticky thread which was right at the top of the list in a sectiopn and received a couple of negs for "necro posting"! Necro-posting to a thread the admins made a sticky for so it would be right on top of the list of posts in that section? Ridiculous. That and if you are adding a meaningful post to an old thread, or seeking more information on the same subject, I don't see the posts as being necro, it's better than starting another thread on the same subject.

I saw that happen to a couple people, and it confounded me. If you start a new post on an old subject, you get a spanking for not using the search function, but if you add to an old post on the subject, you get a spanking for necroposting?

I don't know the back story on the Rep deal, or even how it really works, I just know I don't have any "Rep" lol.

-jeff

same problem.... may be we should've stick to the old system.....if something work why change it?

Soooo, we complained to government about our lack of ability to self regulate and we all get screwed.....learn anything yet?

As I remember Cyp had already said he would soften up and put on the kid gloves when we stick our foot in our mouth.

You do know VG was just as responsible for egging that on, he wanted to pick a fight in the religion thread and when he got his ass handed to him in logic he cried foul citing forum etiquette meanwhile he was acting like a puberty stricken dog in heat in kittens hello thread.

So VG picked a fight with CYP and was getting a lesson and us ignorant masses took the side of the piss ant and asked government to take away the veterans paddle, so now we are all taking VG's spanking.

Well I must agree, I liked it better the way it was too.

OVNI

Is it against the rules to pay it forward? For example, if I want to give someone +rep but can't, can I give it to someone else and ask them to give it to him/her while understanding it's entirely up to him/her?

Or is this one of those permission/forgiveness thingys ... :whistle:

IbIhFLDl.jpg

Edit: Adding picture

Last edited:

Interesting idea, but it's kind of like reping dead accounts to accomplish a task in a round about way huh? ;) Using a tool members account in order to circumvent the system was the reason it got changed right?

Maybe if we all ask nice they will put it back the way it was?

p.s. Cute pic :)

Last edited:

I've never done a gif on here, letmme try one :p

PHB4dBv.png

Hehehehehehe :)

-Alex

Last edited:

Wondered why I wasn't able to give +REP.

Considering how many active members there are I think 40 is a bit excessive.

AFAICT everyone's REP number has come to a grinding standstill. When I see a new +REP in my CP I think "cool, I helped someone". To me, it's an acknowledgement and nothing more. I've wanted to +REP a lot of posts in the past few weeks because I thought they added to the discussion. I wanted to acknowledge that I appreciated that person's post, but haven't been able to.

The problem was with the members, not the system. The problem with the members has been solved, so I suggest that the system return to normal.

This is all just IMO. Maybe we should make a poll?

Encap

I have to agree also after hearing the new limitations.
I prefer the old system--didn't see anything wrong with it---it was fine.
The 40 reps before you can + rep someone again makes it very difficult to +rep for a real contribution to LPF in an timely manner especially if you don't rep often.
I think the 5 rep limit and 40 reps wait to +rep again assumes use of the rep system is much broader than it actually is.

Last edited:

I agree guys, it was better before.
I know it was abused by some, especially when some have their favourites and just keep +rep them (you know who you are :crackup:) but now it's become impossible to rep anyone.
Others would -rep their frenemies constantly :thinking:

I've +rep everyone I can and it won't let me +rep anyone else except noobs.
But some of the noobs in my opinion don't deserve it yet.

:cryyy:

RB

Status
Not open for further replies.