Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replacing the LD on my RPL...

Ace82

So, yesterday, I dropped my blue RPL and guess what, the diode no longer powers up. I know for sure because I've already removed the crystal set and the LED indicator lights red and no light at all, even through a camera. A friend of a friend was playing with my dog and ran into me from behind causing me to drop my laser on the concrete, so there's now a noticeable dent on the aluminum on the front of the laser, so warrantee is out of the question. I have experience and the safety equipment required to fix it myself, as it really isn't that hard. The crystal set is bolt-on as it is collimated and set perfectly as stand alone, four screws mount to the heat sink and base of the laser where the C-mount diode easily can be soldered and replaced. My problem is finding the correct diode. n light won't sell to anyone other then OEM suppliers, and there are a few on ebay that look good. I was thinking about this one but I don't want to go overboard either. And So I PMed a few of our LPF sells people, in hopes to find the one that will work best.

Ace82

Diachi said:
Ouch, thats a shame, hope you can get it fixed, also hope this helps :

http://www.skylaser.cn/ld.asp They do a 2.5W C-mount

Yeah, life is too short to worry about what should have/shouldn't have happen, so I just let it go and look forward to fixing it.

Any and all help is welcome. Thanks!

diachi

No problem, I'm sure you will find the right diode, asking jack about it might also help.

Diachi

Ouch, dropping expensive stuff is always a bummer. But you're totally right, getting upset won't fix anything. Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice, so good luck with fixing that nice RPL of yours.

Ace82

abadcaffeinetrip said:
I know the green RPL's from Opto used the 2.5W diode but the page for their Blue RPL doesn't explicitly say the output :-/  

Jack needs to update his site, there's actually a couple disputes on this fact here on LPF, but he claims it is the same LD that's used in the greenies. Check 'review' on my sig and you can read where Jack clears it up. I know which LD it is, but they won't sell to me. It's a piece of cake to replace, just finding the right one for the best price is what sucks!

Razako

You might be able to work something out with jack and buy a diode or a broken green RPL with the diode still intact. I imagine you could get a mode hopping and underspec RPL-165 for cheap and take the diode out. According to jack the blue and green RPL's use the same diode.

Can you possibly post some pics of the dead diode? I have no idea what these things look like inside and no intentions of taking mine apart.

diachi

I wonder how much it would be for an underspec RPL 165 :-? If its cheap enough I could ask jack for one thats got 1.2mRad divergence or something :-?

Ace82

Razako said:
You might be able to work something out with jack and buy a diode or a broken green RPL with the diode still intact. I imagine you could get a mode hopping and underspec RPL-165 for cheap and take the diode out. According to jack the blue and green RPL's use the same diode.

Can you possibly post some pics of the dead diode? I have no idea what these things look like inside and no intentions of taking mine apart.

I will defiantly post pictures on this thread later. The diode is just a C-mount that looks exactly like the picture below. I guess I could ask Jack…

Attachments

• c-m_LD.jpg
    c-m_LD.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 151

diachi

You would be best off asking jack how much it would be for either the diode or an underspec RPL 165, and if you get the price for the underspec RPL 165, can you tell me please ?

Diachi

Ace82

Diachi said:
You would be best off asking jack how much it would be for either the diode or an underspec RPL 165, and if you get the price for the underspec RPL 165, can you tell me please ?

Diachi

I just emailed him. Hopefully he responds quickly. I'll PM you the price if he has one...

diachi

Thanks Ace! he usually does respond quickly, it is jack after all.

Diachi

ace is the distric attorney pressing charges for killing the dog and murdering your friend :-X

ixfd64

Man, it really sucks to hear that your laser broke. :(

However, many companies will offer repairs, even after the warranty expires, for a price. Try asking Jack if you could send back your laser for repair.

Oh, and you should make your friend's "friend" cover the cost of any repairs. :p

Ace82

Hey, I found out it's not the diode! It's the driver! It's not putting out any current! I learned that the entire laser can be unscrewed, like a flash light! I unscrewed the aluminum base, and swapped with my other RPL, and the LD works fine! I even held the crystal set to it and it lased 473! Now I just need to find out what went wrong. There are a couple things I'm concerned about though...

It said "473 - 20" in hand writing on the base on the inside... :-/

And when I unscrewed it there was lots of aluminum shavings all over the circuitry... :-/

Hum.... :-/