Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replacing the Diode in a 5mw laser housing to a 50mw

So, I'm trying to buy a 50mw green laser module from eBay, particularly, this one: Industrial Lab Lasers 3V 532nm 50mW Green Laser Diode Dot Module w Spring | eBay

I'd like to put it into the housing for my broken 5mw laser. After dissecting the broken laser and reading the details on the new module, I've found that the modules are the same exact size, 12x50mm, and it looks like everything should work out, with the voltage being ~3 V and I do have a 3.6 V ultra fire 16340 in the thing. The button is on the bottom of the laser, so no problems aligning up the little push-button on the microchip (PCB?)

My main question is, since this housing and the diode have no focusing ability, would you say upgrading it is still worth the show even though 30-50mw (I say 30-50 because this is eBay) won't burn without focusing? Or is that powerful enough for black matches or balloons? Also, any tips on replacing the diode, roughly "building" a laser myself?

I ordered a laser 303 yesterday, I think that can help me burn a few things and satisfy part of my curiosity temporarily. Since this is 58-100mw judging from this forum, can you recommend some cheap goggles? I do wear, and need, glasses.

Thanks for reading. This new hobby is getting interesting.

Last edited:

GSS

Let me delete my first post as I just realized your laser uses a 16340 which can charge to 4.2v. That is to much for the module your looking at. Look into Fasttech.com and look for their 5V 532nm 5mw. These modules run way overspec and will probably give you 60mw on average and cost way less. All other things as far as glasses still applies.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's just about what I was looking for. Still confused about the button, but you helped with the diode. I'll look into fast tech.

GSS

Thanks, that's just about what I was looking for. Still confused about the button, but you helped with the diode. I'll look into fast tech.
Do you know what kind of laser you have? Was it store bought or someones project, any info will help.

Its the laser glued inside the laser ( host ) you have i thing its all glued inside and no way taking it part, !!!