Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Repairing 473nm Lab Style

I was wandering around Ebay and found these cheap, $47 delivered. I was wondering how difficult it would be to repair something like this or how much it would cost to have one repaired. I'm starting to get this need to "collect the rainbow" that I see others have and this would be a cheap way to get a 473 if they wouldn't be to great of a challenge or expense. I willing to try just about anything when it comes to disassembling and trying for a fix. Link below.

Aaron

Ebay Nonfunctioning 473nm

Those, from what I've seen, have low power or really bad transverse modes.

I bought a bunch of those, you can try but they may not be fixable. The crystals are probably old and damaged. Definitely cheap enough for a lesson in DPSS :) Make sure you have 808nm goggles though.

Last edited:
The seller is perfectly honest. He sells bad ones because he bought in bulk and has both good and bad, you've got nothing to worry about as long as you pick the right auction. ;)

Ah, I didn't bother to look at his other items. Guess he goes on my watch list for now, too much spent on other laser related stuff for the moment. Thanks for pointing out the working version, although at some point I may try one of the nonfunctioning ones just for the experience of working on a DPSS.

Aaron

The seller is perfectly honest. He sells bad ones because he bought in bulk and has both good and bad, you've got nothing to worry about as long as you pick the right auction. ;)

That makes sense, it sure would be neat to pick up one of the broken
ones and find it only has a simple flaw keeping it from lasing.