Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RELIEF

About a month ago I bought a second hand RPL-300 of these forums. It was so cheap, I couldn't pass it up :) Then an RPL-400 came up for cheap, and I thought because of the new customs laws in Australia, what the hell. So I bought both :) I'll be selling the RPL-300, so someone in Australia gets a chance to own one of these awesome lasers.

But...

But the RPL-400 was meant to of been delivered on the 20th according to tracking. An RPL-400 is not the kind of thing you want to go missing, so I was in panic mode.

Then the RPL-300 was meant to arrive... but it didn't. Two super awesome lasers both going missing. Customs? My rotten bad luck? Who knows.

BUT THEY BOTH SHOWED UP TODAY!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

RPL-400 over 10 days late and RPL-300 nearly a week. Drove me spare, but they're HERE :D :D And not a moment to soon, the new laser laws go in to effect in Australia tomorrow :eek:

I thank thee, oh faithful god of lasers, for watching down upon me and smiling on this day.

diachi

How much for the RPL-300 if you sell it !?!?!?!?!

sorry but if its cheap enough I may have enough money !!

Diachi

If you're selling to someone in Australia I would be interested...

Providing the price is right :p

diachi

ohh yeah thats right, people in australia should come first because they cant get them but i still REALLY want one.

diachi

I wants the 300, if Murudai decides on a price ill see...

Diachi

Sorry, only selling to Australians.

My god, the RPL-400 was peaking at OVER 500mW on my meter :eek: :eek: Crap, that's a Class IV laser not a Class IIIb laser :eek:

But wait... that's weird... The power keeps going up and down all over the place. It peaks around 450-500. Drops to 200, up to 300, down to 170... am I doing something wrong? At the moment my RPL-400 is averaging at 170mW :(

Talking about some wicked timing there. Good to hear you got the goodies just in time. ;)

About your power readings: are you using new batteries, or the ones that came with the second hand RPLs?

Petrovski said:
About your power readings: are you using new batteries, or the ones that came with the second hand RPLs?

Ones that came with the second hand ones.

I made a thread about the RPL performance, but I figure this thread will be enough so I just deleted it.

Yeah, I reckon it might be the batteries. My RPL-300 is acting funny too, though at least that one tends to average a little higher, though I still notice the jumping up and down of output. I REALLY hope it's just the batteries, because RPLs are the kind of lasers you don't want screwing up... because they shouldn't, they're the best :)

Plus it would be a pain to try and invoke warranty on them now anyway, since customs will prevent me from getting them back...

In fact, I made a thread about the batteries too: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214827542 or more specifically on what batteries I should buy, rather than the problems with the lasers.

Razako

Get some GOOD new batteries for the RPL 400 and see what happens. Btw Jack has mentioned lots of times that the RPL warranty is non-transferable. If there is anything actually wrong with the lasers you're stuck with them.

daguin

Take a close look at your "thermopile." Have you burned through the "coating" in places?

Peace,
dave

The guy I got the RPL-400 from said he'd be happy to receive the laser so, as the original purchaser, he can do the warranty on it. Plus, you can still get the lasers repaired even if they aren't under warranty :) (it'll just cost more).

I just did some more testing, and where the RPL-300 has a nice tight beam diameter around 1.5mm, the RPL-400 has a beam diameter around 4-5mm! In fact the RPL-300 seems to be working just fine, it's the RPL-400 that's working all weird...

daguin said:
Take a close look at your "thermopile." Have you burned through the "coating" in places?

Peace,
dave

No, it looks just fine. I tested my jayrob and it's still outputting around 285mW, like I tested with it originally. Plus I can visibly see the beam brightening and dimming all the time... it ain't a meter problem :-[

daguin

Murudai said:
No, it looks just fine. I tested my jayrob and it's still outputting around 285mW, like I tested with it originally. Plus I can visibly see the beam brightening and dimming all the time... it ain't a meter problem :-[

I didn't realize that you could "see" the fluctuations. That would be a problem. You are on to batteries (the easiest fix) and then connections (anywhere in the unit).

Peace,
dave

Razako

Get some good unprotected batteries for it and see what happens. The RPL 400 might be mode hopping because of voltage fluctuations from the battery.