Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Reliable 5mW green pointer?

stefcho

Is there difference in quality of laser pointers offered by Atlasnova at: atlasnova.com/GreenLaserPointer.htm

and Nova at:
novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=46

or, as most in this forum, prefer Laserglow Lyra?

I need ~5 mW reliable and low power consuming pointer for a lot of class work.

Stefcho

I would pick what you want, like laserglow has like 3 or 4 5mw type with various features and there customer service is great, or nova is also a great company so really they would all work good.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

SteelRain

Honestly, you wont find many big differences in 5mW pointers. I suggest just getting a cheap Deal Extreme Pointer.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.91

If you want more quality, I would go with the Wicked Lasers CORE. I usually dont advise Wicked Lasers products, but the CORE seems to be a pretty sturdy and reliable product with nice specs for a 5mW.

stefcho

Thank you wo.......laser and SteelRain.
The point is - which would last longer. Two green pointers from "who knows what company" burnt during past two years, and used about 30 min on-off every day in a semester. Still it's <1000h before failure.
Stefcho

So maybe you need no duty cycle lasers (with heat sinks). However only 15mW models are available as minimum power, so be careful. I think laserglow sells them.

scopeguy20

I have used several LaserGlow 5 mw Galileo lasers and they are just great, they have a constant "ON" switch, I don't guarantee they won't overheat with 25 plus minutes of on time, and LaserGlow says On 1 min. off 30 sec. but I have modified them up to over 25 mW then run them for 10 min. with no sign of getting too hot or ever having a failure. I even modded 1 to 55 mW it could pop balloons and ignite matches, and did not die with 6 to 10 min "ON" time, but got very slightly warm. I plan on buying several more Galileo lasers very soon! ;D ;D ;D ;D Is there interest in a Group Buy? ;)

jrv

For pointing consider the AtlasNova 635nm red. This is a bright red, and a diode not DPSS so it's inherently more rugged and presumably more efficient.

Depending on the situation consider a smaller laser than 5 mW. AtlasNova sells both a green DPSS and 635nm red pointer at <= 1 mW which might be better for actually pointing at things if the target (wall, etc) can't be controlled and might be somewhat reflective (whiteboard, etc).

Cyparagon

Helioplasma said:
So maybe you need no duty cycle lasers (with heat sinks). However only 15mW models are available as minimum power, so be careful. I think laserglow sells them.
pointers don't need duty cycles - especially when being used as a pointer.