Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Refreshing

GSS

Got up a 2:00 this morning and watched a few episodes of "How its made"
Always hoping to catch an episode to see how diodes are made but was pleasantly surprised to see some toys still being made by hand rather than complete automation.
Since they never really say the company's name, I got a quick look of the box that said "Wild West Toys"
They bought the tooling from the 50's for cap gun toys that were all the rage for kids from all the western era movies of that time.
From hand dropping blocks of zinc into the melting pot to final assembly, I saw no robotic's at all.
They hand plung the liquid zinc into the mold and hand file and grind all the flashing of each piece. Every piece from spring to trigger to final assembly is all by hand, even the screws are done with a regular screw driver.
The nice original gun body swerling design is still there.
I don't know about where they are made as far as cheap labor but it sure looks its in the States. Curious to find how much they cost these days but I can't see this company in making much of a profit:)

Edit: just did a check and "Wild West Toys" is surely American based.
Their 44 cal western replica sells for $39.99 a bit steep but in my opinion worth it. It comes in some nice boxing.

Last edited:

Encap

Last edited:

GSS

Who knew and it sure brings back some childhood memory's.
I can't believe you found the link that actually shows the "how its made" episode:beer:
Edit: have been following all of Encap's found links and didn't realize just how far they went with all the repro's .
Finally some caps that actually work like when we were kids!

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
That will bring back memories buddy, Love too watch old westerns , going to check out that 44 they make. Good find pal + rep

Rich:)

These are so cool.
Thanks for the heads-up Pete and for the link Encap.

Wish we could bring these into Australia but I doubt they'd be allowed in.
I'll have to check.

Brings back heaps of memories.
I'd love to put a module in a replica western toy gun.
How cool would that be !?!

RB

Encap

Wish we could bring these into Australia but I doubt they'd be allowed in.
I'll have to check.

Brings back heaps of memories.
I'd love to put a module in a replica western toy gun.
How cool would that be !?!
RB

RB:
Apparently not as big a problem as you think. Have a look at: Cap Guns Australia

Wow, thanks for posting that. I didn't know that cap guns were still being made.

I had several cap guns when I was a child in the late 40's but my favorite one was a cowboy revolver that, instead of using the paper roll strips of 50 shot caps, used paper disks that had six caps on them. I swung out the cylinder and loaded a disk of caps on the back of the cylinder and then could shoot six shots in our cowboy games before I would have to reload, unlike the cowboys in the movies who it seemed could get off 10-12 shots before needing a reload.

I see that that site has a made-in-Spain six shooter replica that uses dummy cartridges that have to have a new cap placed in the primer area before they can be shot again, an even more realistic version of the revolver I had. Alas, at $120, I couldn't have afforded that one with my allowance. :D

And since my toy box is already too full and my toys shoot real bullets now, I guess I won't buy that one. If I did my wife would really think I'd gone round-the-bend. :eg:

Ed

Last edited: